• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Snowbird pilot OK after crash landing

daftandbarmy

Army.ca Dinosaur
Reaction score
Glad to the that the pilot seems to be OK.

And the RCAF gets extra EDI-Pronoun Brownie points...

... Nice work Trevor!! ;)

Snowbird pilot OK after crash landing​

Emergency crews have converged on a hay field southeast of the North Peace Regional Airport this hour.

A Canadian Forces Snowbird pilot escaped serious injury Tuesday after their plane crashed during takeoff in Fort St. John.

Emergency crews converged in a hay field southeast of the North Peace Regional Airport shortly after 12 p.m. following the crash.

Major Trevor Reid with the Canadian Forces Snowbirds Public Affairs Office says the CT-114 Tutor suffered what’s being called a "hard landing" while taking off from the airport. The pilot was not physically injured and was being checked on by a medical team.

"The aircraft did have a hard landing and the sole occupant, the pilot, did not suffer physical injuries but is being medically assessed as per RCAF policies," said Reid.

The Snowbirds demonstration team was in town for the return of the International Airshow over the weekend.

Most of the team has since flown to Penticton for a performance there, however, on Tuesday afternoon there was still one Snowbird aircraft seen on the airport tarmac where they had staged for the airshow.

I'd rather the RCAF spend their efforts fixing their training contracts, buying new MPAs, new fighters, and new AAR than buying air display squadron toys.

The Snowbirds are the Skyhawks and Ceremonial Guard of the RCAF.

I'd rather the RCAF spend their efforts fixing their training contracts, buying new MPAs, new fighters, and new AAR than buying air display squadron toys.

The Snowbirds are the Skyhawks and Ceremonial Guard sacred cows of the RCAF Canada.

There, that looks a little more accurate IMHO ;)

If I was a betting man, which I’m not, I’d figure any snowbird replacements would come with replacements for the Hawks. Buy an extra 15-20 of X aircraft and push them down the line in MJ. Assuming Trudeau even wants these airshow Cadillacs.

In the words of another Liberal: “Zero Elicopter”.

Is there a reason not to just rerole CF-18s once we get F-35s? Works for the Americans.

They will also be 50 years old by the time you find and train enough pilots, extra crews and set up a show routine. This is all assuming they won’t keep them around for a while until the F-35s take over. Plus we don’t need a poverty version of the US Navy blue angels.

The Snowbirds are the Skyhawks and Ceremonial Guard of the RCAF.
Got a bunch of used 18's around don't we?

They will also be 50 years old by the time you find and train enough pilots, extra crews and set up a show routine. This is all assuming they won’t keep them around for a while until the F-35s take over. Plus we don’t need a poverty version of the US Navy blue angels.
Well we already have a poverty version anyway, and the Snowbirds seem to be flying 1971 vintage CF-114s, so that would be in keeping with how much the government actually cares.

I can’t see us procuring a new airframe specifically for the acrobatics team- or at least I bloody well hope not. ‘18s seem like the next logical hand me down, no?

Well we already have a poverty version anyway, and the Snowbirds seem to be flying 1971 vintage CF-114s, so that would be in keeping with how much the government actually cares.

I can’t see us procuring a new airframe specifically for the acrobatics team- or at least I bloody well hope not. ‘18s seem like the next logical hand me down, no?

Following RCAF tradition, and with a view to crew safety, shouldn't we procure used RAAF UAVs for the job?

The pilots are more agreeable, if nothing else.

1659533485627.png

Operational pause on Snowbirds lifted after cause of accident determined, but remaining 2022 performances cancelled​

I wonder what % of shows the Snowbirds were supposed to go to have they actually been to recently?

Inline oil filters are generally really simple, how exactly does one get improperly assembled severely enough to cause an engine failure?

OK. But holy fuck. Can it happen for our Airbuses?
Look, I have not read the flight safety report on this incident, yet. Other than the media report of a ”misassembled oil filter”, I have no idea what actually happened.

The person I spoke with at work was familiar with this engine and listed some common errors in assembling the oil filter.

Whether that is translatable to other fleets is unknown.

Look, I have not read the flight safety report on this incident, yet. Other than the media report of a ”misassembled oil filter”, I have no idea what actually happened.

The person I spoke with at work was familiar with this engine and listed some common errors in assembling the oil filter.

Whether that is translatable to other fleets is unknown.
I ask because you and others on here are SME's on all things AF and A/C. This is disturbing in so many ways.

Back