• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Sniper/Long Range Rifles

big bad john

Banned
Banned
Inactive
Reaction score
The Royal Marines employ 3 different weapons in this role.  The newest being the Accuracy International .338 Lapua Long Range Rifle, the L96A1 Sniper Rifle, and .50 caliber Barrett.  The Corps has also acquired 8 Accuracy International AW50F Rifles.  These are the rifles acquired by the Royal Engineers for EOD work.  At $8,000.00 US a piece the sniper teams of the SBS, are putting them through their paces to see if they are robust enough for field work.

What is Canada doing in this area?

We have a .50 long range sniper rifle, and the C3A1 7.62 rifle.
http://www.army.forces.gc.ca/lf/English/2_0_53_1.asp?uSubSection=53&uSection=2
http://www.army.forces.gc.ca/lf/English/2_0_35_1.asp?uSubSection=35&uSection=2

hi so whats the differnence between the .338 long range rifle and the .50 cal ,i know its different ammo but whats the ranges ,power etc .

thomas

Hi yeah one is the 7.62mm and the other is the .50 cal for canada,but  its the weapons used by the royal marines I wanted to know about , the .338 and .50 cal differences thanks .

The Accuracy International .338 Lapua Long Range Rifle is a very accurate single shot rifle which is effective to 1200 metres. The 0.338 round from this weapon is capable of penetrating light armour and is a very effective suppressive weapon system. Each Commando Unit has 12 LRLCRs

The .50 calibre Barrett is a single shot bolt action rifle. The large calibre round used with this weapon makes it particularly useful in the anti-material role. The Barrett's maximum effective range is up to 2000metres.

The L96A1 Sniper Rifle is a bolt action single shot weapon. It is accurate up to 1000metres and fires a 7.62mm round

I hope that gives you an idea.

I think i finally found the good crowd to ask this question...
Is it true that a Canadian Sniper did fartest kill ever recorded... at 2450 meters???

404SQNAVSTech
You do mean farthest don't you? Check your spelling, its good for a chuckle...

The MacMillan 50 is quite a peice of kit, I had chance to play with a while back.

ArmyRick said:
404SQNAVSTech
You do mean farthest don't you? Check your spelling, its good for a chuckle...

The MacMillan 50 is quite a peice of kit, I had chance to play with a while back.
Oups...  funny what a misplaced letter will do. 
Did this gentleman made it in the Guinness book or have some sort of recognition...???

Does the LRSW have a model number (i.e. C3A1) or is it just called the LRSW? Also, is the .50 cal amax the same as .50 BMG? ???

The McMillan Tac-50 is not technically the LRSWS - there is an upxomign LRSWS trial (when who knows - I guess when DLR goes out canvassing as a charity for $) - the 750gr AMAX round is a .50BMG round used for antipers usage in the Tac50.  It has not been type classified a C series weapon.

None of this info is OPSEC.

Pre 1998, the ADF was using the PH M82 with the ZF69 optics, just like the generic ole C3. In 1998, the AI AWF (All Weather Folder) in 7.62 x 51mm has since been adopted with S&B optics.

Also employed in 7.62mm is the SR25 (Mk11 Mod 0) this replaced the 7.62mm HK PSG1. We are also toying with the AI .338 too (to bridge to gap between 7.62 x 51mm and 12.7 x 99mm), and in 2001, we adopted the AI AW.50 (12.7 x 99mm) again with S&B optics.

Cheers,

Wes

Back