• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

SigOps---->>>really that high in Demand?

SiGoPsStewie

Inactive
Reaction score
I spoke with the recruiting when I was handing in my application form about the sigops trade. He told me that there were approx. 300 FT spots that needed to be filled. Is the army really that short of ops.? What are the reserves in need of if the Reg F need that many???

It would not surprise me. In my husbands trade alone (411-Mechanic), they are 500 short across Canada. This information comes from his career manager at his last briefing. From the talk we've heard from friends in various trades, many are hurting just as bad.

I applied for signal operator and have my cfat next week .My medical will be the week after after that . I am guessing my interview will be after both exams.I think that will be my first question in my interview if i have a good chance to being hired when i get out of reserve and transfer to reg

Thats good to hear ! i just hope i get accepted and do not have to go threw the long wait as i have been hearing the horror stories of the length of time  :mad:

Vader,
You may have to wait as most Primary Reserve processing is on the back burner until the early fall so we can fill Reg F BMQ's. However if you decide to go Reg F you should move along quickly.

Next question on the CFAT was.......When he got his throw, he threw through the thorough thoroughfare before he was through. 

I'm still laughing at some people thinking their "waiting" time is a long wait...... ::) My entrance to the CF took almost a year and just try being pregnant....... ;)

sorry ..... *Thru    :salute: .Well i would like to apply for reg but i was told by my recruiter i should go for res do my 4 years then apply for reg .Any thoughts or advice ? To be honest i have not yet done my interview yet and probably will discuss me applying for reg.

Vader said:
sorry ..... *Thru    :salute: .Well i would like to apply for reg but i was told by my recruiter i should go for res do my 4 years then apply for reg .

Bull. I've heard arguments for reservists to hold off until they finish their 5's in order to qualify for a signing bonus. Doing some class B or a tour to get your feet wet and see if it's for you makes some sense. I've never heard the "do 4 years first" bit.

[quote author=Vader]Any thoughts or advice ? To be honest i have not yet done my interview yet and probably will discuss me applying for reg.
[/quote]

Talk to sig ops, get a good grasp of whether it's a trade you're interested in, and go reg force if you really want to go reg force. Go reserve if you're interested but unsure as to whether you want to make it your career.

If you are joining the reserves because you need to finish school or because you want to stay close to your friends and family... I understand. On the other side if you know that soonner or later you are going to want to join the regular force... I am thinking why wait if you can go now and gain years of experience and a better salary.

As long as you haven't been sowrn in you can change your mind easily, you can simply inform your cfrc that you would like to go regular force instead. You still have time to think about it... I personally changed my mind after I got sworn into the reserves... and so I have to go through a component transfer, which will be more complicated...

Good luck

Finish school first, if that's where you are. If its post-secondary, it'll help in the long run and the reserves will give you money on top of your salary to cover tuition and books. The $20,000 signing bonus is nice, but I wouldn't use the reserves as my full time job just to get it. You'd end up losing more money by working those part-time days and having no benefits then just heading straight into the Regular Force.

There are a few of us operators floating on the boards, a lot of varied experience as the trade can have diverse postings and taskings. Throw some PMs around and find out if its right for you.

Back