• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Signaller Questions

Moose Guy

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello!

I'm in the process of being enrolled next month and enrolling as a signaller. I understand the duties it entails but I'm curious as to more information.

I originally considered the infantry trade (it was what I wanted to do most growing up), but switched to signaller as I was told I would do generally the same aspects of work but with a focus on communications and operating equipment.

I do love my technology a lot, but I'm really curious about the trade. Not a whole lot of up to date information out there besides what's on the recruiting site and various other posts.

So I'll dump some questions here to satisfy my curiosity and give myself something to look forward to. It helps with motivation to keep training!

- What would life in between BMQ and DP1? It might seem like a bold question as I hadn't even entered BMQ yet, but being in the army is my dream job! I have not and will not considered the idea of quitting BMQ and I'm confident I'll make it through as a better person.

- Regarding rank pay acceleration, I saw that was on the website for the signal operator page. Can someone explain to me what that entails exactly?

- What is DP1 in Kingston like? I understand the gist of what I would learn but what can I expect day to day during DP1 Signaller?

- One thing I've noticed that signal operator had been in demand for quite some time, can someone tell me why that is? I recall seeing a signals recruitment fare in CFB Blackdown sometime 2018.

I'd really appreciate any and all answers! Even funny ones, I quite enjoy those!

My dp1 was mainly.. programming radios, setting up detachments (antennas, generators, and vehicles) to be able to pass radio communications. Most of my exercises has been operating radios to pass information from the field to officers. Most fun when attached as a platoon signaller to be in the field and provide radio traffic back to HQ… lots to learn (HF, VHF, satellite)..

My dp1 was mainly.. programming radios, setting up detachments (antennas, generators, and vehicles) to be able to pass radio communications. Most of my exercises has been operating radios to pass information from the field to officers. Most fun when attached as a platoon signaller to be in the field and provide radio traffic back to HQ… lots to learn (HF, VHF, satellite)..

That sounds sick. Sounds pretty on track with 'signal operator' all right. Thanks for ths insight!

How often do you get attached as a platoon sig and in the field? I was convinced by the recruiter to go signaller instead of infantry (which was what I wanted to do originally). I generally got the gist that I'd be doing field work which satisfies that itch for me.

A Platoon Signaler in an Infantry unit is typically a switched-on Infantry Corporal. It is the absolute simplest of jobs that a Sig Op can do. If you really want to be Infantry with a radio, then be Infantry and ask to be the signaler.. With the state of the Sig Op trade, the lowest possible level you'll get is the Company Signaler which is a Master Corporal (6+ years experience in the trade) which is not attainable right away. Chad is a reservist so his employment is different than what a Regular Force Sig Op will do.

You will still work in a field, but more in the defensive/convoy drills and staffing a command post of varying levels if you're posted to a CMBG (Petawawa, Valcartier, Edmonton).

A Platoon Signaler in an Infantry unit is typically a switched-on Infantry Corporal. It is the absolute simplest of jobs that a Sig Op can do. If you really want to be Infantry with a radio, then be Infantry and ask to be the signaler.. With the state of the Sig Op trade, the lowest possible level you'll get is the Company Signaler which is a Master Corporal (6+ years experience in the trade) which is not attainable right away. Chad is a reservist so his employment is different than what a Regular Force Sig Op will do.

You will still work in a field, but more in the defensive/convoy drills and staffing a command post of varying levels if you're posted to a CMBG (Petawawa, Valcartier, Edmonton).

Thanks for the answer! No problem at all, that does make sense. The more I think about it, the weirder it seems to me of the idea that they'd be fine sending a signaller to do what infantry can do with an extra course when the trade, as it seems right now, is in a pretty critical state.

I'm pretty curious to learn about radios anyways. I've always had an interest in the command post environment and seeing the insides, so that's cool. But a part of me still has that itch y'know?

I'll work at it day by day and see how the wind blows. If any cool oppurtunities come around I'll try and jump on. I'm like any kid at the end of the day and want to jump out of planes and blow shit up.

Thanks for the insight once again!

Back