• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

*Server Is Under High Stress*

Slicehost it's a rackspace company (that's why it's more expensive), they have a good network (the best in USA) but they charge for it.

I need two thing, Server configuration that you need, budget, and where you want it hosted (USA or Canada)

Hugues

Hi Hugues,

Thanks for your assistance on this. Here are the specs for our current system:

Processors:          2 x Intel Dual Core Xeon 5150 2.66ghz 1333mhz FSB
Memory:              4Gb (2x2Gb) DDR2-667 RAM
Motherboard:        Asus DSBF-D/SAS Server Motherboard ---- Dual Xeon Socket 771, Intel 5000P, 1333FSB, 8D. DDR2, ATI ES1000
Power Supplies:    550 Watt EPS Power Supply
Hard Disk Drives:    ST3500630AS SEAGATE 500G 7200RPM SATA-300 16M
Case:                  TITAN550 SERVER BOX ANTEC TITAN 550W EATX

This hardware is approaching 3 years old, but is still quite suitable for our needs in terms of capacity. The physical hosting location is not an issue, it can be hosted in Canada or the US. I'd prefer a Canadian company just to keep it in the economy, but can't really afford to back that preference up with a big price tag.

Our monthly budget is about $150.

Unfortunately, it's impractical to host the current hardware in a datacentre, as it can't be rebooted remotely. (It needs console input to start up.)

Thanks!
Mike

It seems to come and go. I haven't figured out the correlation yet.

Very frustrating this morning.    Slow loading.  Pages not loading.  Pages half-loading.

Very slow for the past few days, to the point of aggravation.  As George said, half loading, slow loading, server timeouts.

It's been consistently slow out in Prince George where I'm visiting.

But after breakfast with caesars and last night's UFC, followed by what can only be described as 'watching people (several wearing mirrored sunglasses [WTF?]) line-dancing to rock music while kicking beer bottles across the dance floor'....my speed isn't too quick this morning either  :blotto:

Ditto to George's and Kat's last posts this morning when I was on , but it seems fine this evening.

Hi,

Sorry, was away in the last days.

Your server specs don't seem to be the issue for me. It's maybe a server configuration problem, but in that case your load will go much higher than just 0.8. Probably the bandwidth. I have see server over 25 of load and working faster than this forum...

With a $150 you have many possibility, it's a good budget.

1. Host your server in colocation. That's the worst scenario to me... The datacenter will host it, but if you have an hardware issue, you will have to go to the datacenter, or they will have to ship you the server back or some offer remote hand service, but it's always in the +$100/hour. So it can become expensive really fast, and since it's not the hardware that the datacenter use, they may not have the good hardware to fix it. For the remote reboot, it's not a problem, APC do some remote reboot power bar (check the AP7900)

2. Get a dedicated server. First, you can get a pretty good server for around $100/month hosted in Montreal, and for approx $50/month more get a good server management. So you will have dedicated staff that will be able to monitor and deal with your server. So you will never loose any more time on this trying to figure what's going on, you just send in a ticket and a tech will look at your issue.

3. Webhosting, it's maybe a good alternative too, some company are offering some great solution, no hassle, you just use the system as a service. But I don't know how much it can cost to host a forum like this, I will need more information to figure that out. But most of those serious host are in USA. We can maybe get a free trial for 30 days to know if it's works and how much it can cost for the next month. (probably in the $100/month range)

#3 would be the best solution, less trouble, just enjoying your website. They manage the website backup, server update, etc.

Sorry for my english...

Hi Hugues,

Thanks for the info... your English is much better than my French, so no need to apologize. :)

The colocation option is a non-starter for me. As I mentioned I cannot reboot the server remotely... it's not that I can't issue the command - I can very easily. But without someone sitting right there with a keyboard in hand to push the boot process forward, it will never get past the BIOS screen.

I've tried a few webhosting solutions... my experience to date is that they simply can't deliver the throughput that I need. For example I have a dreamhost.com account that has "unlimited" bandwidth, but their connections speeds are throttled and slow, so they wouldn't even be able to deliver what I'm seeing today, let alone an improvement. Plus, it's a shared environment where I don't have root access... That cuts down on some of the "extras" that I can manage.

If you know the name of a good dedicated server host, I'd be very interested in learning more. I'm OK doing the server management, all I *really* need is a decent system connected to a fast Internet pipe.

You can get a sense for our current usage by seeing some basic statistics here: http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/72578.0

Thanks again
Mike

Was not talking about webhosting like Dreamhost, for sure you can't host a forum like this on a shared account. What I was talking about, it's more what we call "Cloud Hosting". So you pay for the ressource that you use, and yes, it can handle much bigger website than this one.

Morning...

Well yes it was slow for myself, kinda lagged out at a few spots, but I like the new Design/template....

Now as for a Possibility of a new site, something I can throw in here, as to something you can research see if it meets your needs.
I am looking into it now, doing my own research on it, But Ummm I came across a site in which you can subscribe to what they call a online pc
https://www.zazeen.com/OnlinePC.html

in which it seems to be like a VPN or VM where it runs Ubuntu Desktop, so you can ssh into the machines desktop and what you do there
runs at there speed of service, as in Downloading a file say from home you have a 10/1 connection, takes I dunno 30 Seconds, on there's if you get the
Ultimate it's a 50 meg down 50 meg upload, so Umm, well you can figure the speed difference, but the file goes to your online PC, and if later on you want
to download it to your system you can.

It supports SFTP as well, and you also have root access, cause I noticed the one remark you mentioned about root access...
Reading the Forums, you can pretty much add anything you want, (linux based as it's Ubuntu) I guess even windows stuff under wine, you just need to install wine, but basically you can install anything,

there bandwidth well checking your link to how much you use looks like an average of 130gig a month, with there packages it goes from 1 terabyte to 6 terabyte of bandwidth, and HD allocations from a 450 gig to 1.5 terabyte.

Speeds are from 10/5 on low, or ultimate is like 100/100 Mbps on a 12 month it's $84.95

But anyhow, the link is there, you can do some research see if that might not be something to look at, that's all on what I can tell you, as I said I
am just getting into researching it myself, so... Just another option.

Have a good one..

Mike you tinkering in here? site is very slow/not loading at all................. and other users are having problems too.........

I'm sure this is how a crack addict feels when going through withdrawal.

Not sure if it's the site or my own system -- I'm on wireless through a tower.  I know things slow down here at night, but this is getting to be ridiculous.  I've seen dial-up move faster than this site.

Strike said:
I'm sure this is how a crack addict feels when going through withdrawal.

Not sure if it's the site or my own system -- I'm on wireless through a tower.  I know things slow down here at night, but this is getting to be ridiculous.  I've seen dial-up move faster than this site.

I'm by Londonderry and my Shaw is running fine, except for my router dropping me now and then. Maybe it's your tower. It's actually running fast for me right now.

Chapeski said:
I'm by Londonderry and my Shaw is running fine, except for my router dropping me now and then. Maybe it's your tower. It's actually running fast for me right now.

I hate you all....  >:(

Strike said:
I hate you all....  >:(

It's not just you Strike.

I've been here all freakin night and I've only managed to get pages to fully load twice (this being one of them)... if this doesn't time out before it allows me to post.

I'm getting error messages galore and am having to refresh constantly and only the first one or two posts in a thread will load after 20 or so refreshes. I'm getting really frustrated. Crack addict indeed.

Line: 472
Char: 11
Error: Expected ':'
Code: 0

OR

Line: 38 (or 43 or 26 [just pick one])
Char: 0
Error: 'mm_script' not recognized

Arghhhh. making caffeine now, as I can't have the crack.  :'(

First the new colour scheme (which has improved wonderfully from the initial changes  :) ), and now the pages not loading.  ~sigh~
Are we going to have to drag you back to Ontari-ari-o?

Of course, being an 'always a bright side' kind of guy, when the site locks up I don't have to see the waste of bandwidth and oxygen by the AmmoTards  ;D

Back