• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Sdt. Simon Longtin, 3e Bn, Royal 22e -- 19 août 07

Private Simon Longtin:
May God Bless your soul and give strength to your comrades and family left behind.  Thank you for the sacrifice you made to help others.  May your family and friends take solace in what you died doing.  I pray for the safety of all the soldiers who continue to do your good work.
Rest in Peace
SL Payne

After hearing of the Vandoo's BG being urged by anti-war hippies to not get on the plane to Afghanistan, and have them lose a member so quickly in the tour, I'm sure the brave men and women of this vaunted Regiment and their entire BG will continue on in resolute fashion to honour their fallen comrade.......... 

To the fallen soldier and his family and friends here at home, my thoughts and prayers go out to you.

RIP soldat  :salute:

They shall close on their fallen
The ranks shall not waver,  they will perseveer

At the going down of the sun
and in the morn
We will remember them!

Je me souviens!

CHIMO!

:salute:

Rest easy.  Condolences to the friends, family and comrades of the fallen.

Ramp ceremony for Pte Longtin.

500_cc_ramp_ceremony2_070820.jpg

500_cc_ramp_ceremony_070820.jpg

Interesting response by Vandoos downrange (as well as MSM reporter) - emphasis mine - shared with the usual disclaimer....

Van Doos want Quebecers to understand Afghan mission after soldier's death
Martin Ouellet, Canadian Press, 20 Aug 07
http://www.recorder.ca/cp/National/070820/n0820193A.html

The first death for Quebec's Van Doo regiment has saddened his fellow soldiers but they are asking Quebecers to learn more about the Canadian mission before passing judgment.

At a ramp ceremony at Kandahar Airfield on Monday, more than 1,000 soldiers from 37 countries paid tribute to Pte. Simon Longtin, who was killed on Sunday. "Everybody's morale is low but at the same time, like we say, it's motivating us (to continue)," said Jean-Philippe Auclair of 3rd Battalion, Royal 22nd Regiment.

"For sure, we're never going to forget him and he will always be with us," Auclair said.

Longtin's body was taken aboard a C-120 (sic.) Hercules transport plane for the long flight home and is expected to arrive back at CFB Trenton on Tuesday. Auclair will accompany his friend's body back to Canada.

The 23-year-old Longtin, from Longueuil, Que., died when his light armoured vehicle was hit by a roadside bomb.

His death is the first in Afghanistan for the regiment based in Quebec, where support is low for the Canadian mission.

Both Auclair and Scott Bernier, also of the Van Doos 3rd Battalion, said the soldiers believe in their mission and want to carry on.

They both said they want Quebecers "to be better informed" about the objectives of the Canadian mission and its reconstruction work before passing judgment.

"We're here for something, we're doing our job and there's no use taking it out on soldiers," Bernier said of Longtin's death.

Added Auclair: "I still believe in the mission and it's motivating me even more to keep going. Simon was aware of the risks, he knew what he was doing and I'm sure he wouldn't regret anything."

Canada has about 2,300 troops in the war-torn country as part of the NATO force supporting the Afghan government, of which about 1,100 are from Quebec's Royal 22nd Regiment.

Sixty-seven Canadian soldiers and a diplomat have died in Afghanistan since 2002. The fatalities include a couple of other soldiers from Quebec, but Longtin is the first from the Royal 22nd.

Speaking to soldiers at the Van Doos home base in Valcartier, Que., Defence Minister Peter MacKay said Kandahar can hope for a peaceful future with the perseverance of Canadian troops, in the same way Canada has done in other parts of the world.

"Know that this mission is no less important, no less valid and takes no less valour," MacKay said.

Bernier described Longtin as a great guy who believed in his work.

"He was a very good soldier, proud of what he was doing. He was always ready to serve. He believed in the cause and that was to help people."

Auclair noted that Longtin was quick to make people laugh.

"What we'll remember is his sense of humour."

Auclair will return to Kandahar after the funeral. Details aren't yet available.

"It's going to be hard but I know he would be happy that I'm doing this for him."

One of the most difficult tasks that Auclair faces is to meet with Longtin's parents and especially his girlfriend.

"That's going to be hard. Those two were so much in love."

It was the third attack on Canadians in a week. Seven soldiers were injured in two separate attacks earlier.

Hundreds turn out for funeral of Pte. Longtin
Updated Mon. Aug. 27 2007 5:35 PM ET Canadian Press
Article Link

LONGUEUIL, Que. -- The sounds of a military rifle salute echoed through the streets outside the church where a funeral was held Monday for Pte. Simon Longtin, who died in Afghanistan.

An honour guard from Quebec's Royal 22nd Regiment also lined the steps of the 19th century church, which was filled with family, friends and military colleagues.

Several hundred people also lined the streets outside St-Antoine de Padoue Roman Catholic Church.

Longtin was the first member of Quebec's Royal 22nd Regiment to be killed in the Afghanistan.

The 23-year-old was described as a devoted soldier who was "courageous and professional'' by Capt. Gilles Sanscartier, a chaplain at Canadian Forces Base Valcartier near Quebec City.
More on link

Back