• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

school money?

Kevins833

Inactive
Reaction score
Is there any kinda program in place where guys like me who are ready to leave the army can get some compensation for time served. I would like some money for school or some kind of transition program so i can get a job and not be eating dirt for the rest of my career. I would re-muster to get some experience in a trade, but i dont want that military lifestyle anymore.

Second Career Advancement Network (SCAN) is the programme for releasing.

It all depends on time served.

http://www.admfincs.forces.gc.ca/admfincs/subjects/daod/5031/4_e.asp is the DOAD relating to SCAN, it gives an outline of the programme but no specifics.

Contact your BPSO for more details.  There should be info on the DIN as well.

Kevin,

Just a little bit of advice from an old infanteer( do with it what you wish)....I read through your profile and know exactly where you are coming from. I was exactly there 10 years ago. On your release file they will ask you if you want to stay on the Sup Reserve list. Ensure you check yes, because any time down the road if you change your mind and decide not to hate the military anymore ( because your degree of hate fades over time), it will help you to get back in if you need to. It does not cost you anything and I thank god  the release clerk talked me into putting yes in the little check box.

Just my two cents worth, good luck in any of your future adventures.

Kevin, as Cdn Royal advised. i just released after 24+years service due to family obligations and also I was getting tired of being away from my two young daughters +14 days a month; I also put my name on the Supp reserve list (it doesn't cost / obligate you anything); therfore you still have a 'foot in the door' so to speak. though I just released (mid aug), I may have some part time employment in the very near future with the military (hey I'm only 42 to young to officially 'retire' - joined reg just shy of my 18th b-day).

-gerry

ya i hear what you old farts are saying, and i will do that, im just pissed that after all the shit we have to do, and being in the combat arms where there is no civilian equivilent, you would think that the government would have some type of program in place where we get paid to go back to school or at least some kind of financial assistance.

Another old fart here. When I finished up with the military all I was qualified to do was fire the noon day gun. All I got from the military was a pat on the back and enjoy your civvy life. The most important thing the army gave me was the the ability to stand on my own two feet, make decisions, put in a honest days work and be a leader not a follower.
I went to Trades School, got my Interprovincial Heavy Duty Repair Ticket(heavy equipment mechanic) and have never looked back. I kept my military family close by joining the Reserves when family and job permitted.
Don't leave the military with a chip on your shoulder as you will carry it to your civvy life, not nice. Follow AmmoTech's advice see what the military has to offer. You are on the right track in trying to get a trade so keep at it.

Best of luck in your endevours

Gents,

This is why preparing for your retirement/transition to civilian life is so important, particularly for combat arms members.  If you haven't already done so, go to the next SCAN session as they will help you know about and access programs designed for your benefit.  If you still have five years of service remaining, go to the next SCAN session.  If you have 10 years of service, begin to consider what you are going to do when you get out .  The time to begin planning is now, not the day before you submit your release.  If you can't wait for the next SCAN session, go see your local/friendly PSO to find out what is available to you.

If you are shy or a self starter, go to the Canadian Defence Website:

http://www.cda-acd.forces.gc.ca/dlm/engraph/services/er/finance_e.asp

Read what is available and what applies to you.  Pay particular attention to the moving on to civilian life page:

http://www.cda-acd.forces.gc.ca/DLM/engraph/services/movingon/civilian_e.asp

Good luck.

Make sure you reas the Regs yourself and don't rely on The BPSO staff. I got out in Jan 2005 with nearly 14 yrs of service. I was told I had a year to submit for education assistance. Wrong!!  One had to apply prior to release and submit an education plan. Not a huge deal as it would not have been a lot of $$ for myself, just a little frustrating. Cheers

Back