• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

RMC Class of 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shamrock said:
Max.

Go on a tour as a rifleman.  Tell me then how hard RMC is.  Then a year later, go on another one.

And for added fun: while you're there, do some classes.  Because some of those infantarymen will do just that.

I dont, say RMC is physically hard. But academics there can be demanding and to do good in this you need to have some sort of mental rest.  Some of those skills learned in class are going to be usefull for some individual (read AEREs, CELEs, EMEs, etc)  I wanted to do good in my academics so I gave less importance to the military commitments (even though I think I still did pretty good.. Anyways my RMC course reports says so).  To be honest, I joined the military to be in the Air Force.  I understand I need some basic soldiering skills to do so but I considered those "military mornings" more "morale destruction for everyone" than anything. Getting up at 0530 to learn for the 10th time how to write a friggin memo....  Is that going to make me a better officer or soldier?  To get up at 0600 for a 10 minutes brief on "the most random thing in the world" and then wait for 30 minutes before figuring out that the next speaker isn't going to be here will make be a better officer?  Please...

And FYI, I don't think you'll find a majority of RMC grads that will say they liked their journey at RMC.  As the ex-DCdts said :  "RMC is a nice place to be from, but certainly not a nice place to be"

Max

Sadly, DVessey and SupersonicMax are not the minority in the RMC fraternity. 

Its one of the reasons I left the milcol system and decided to get my degree on my own.  Definitely not the entire reason, if it had just been that, I would have sucked it up. But in any event, its unfortunate the amount of whiners you get who just want a degree and can't understand why RMC won't just let them do their academics and fun stuff.

DVessey said:
Set standards and let us meet them (ie/ RMC PT Test, which already exists) on our own time. Let us actually manage our own schedule.
I've got 18 years in and they still don't let me manage my own schedule. Why should you be allowed to manage yours?

24/7...you've heard the term before.

This is all reminding me of an Air Log officer who got posted into Petawawa. Out in the field when we got gassed he starts screaming for me to give him my gas mask (cause he didn't act like a soldier first and wasn't wearing his webbing). I'm thinking not!! I watched him vomit through my lens. Poor guy. Learnt his lesson really quickly though.

PS (this is top-secret).....I also wore a blue uniform at the time.  How come those of us who wear blue (or wore blue) at the bottom of the ladder seem to realize that we are soldiers first and that *surprise* we joined the MILITARY. Why do some choose to think that their position or uniform colour precludes them from actually training for fighting and dying?

And darn be the pilot or ground crew who thinks I'm going to protect his butt in a deployed camp when the shite hits the fan because he ain't got his weapon around or the in-depth training to use it properly and instinctively. I'll be concentrating on whoever the threat is and backing up the ones who'll be backing me up, regardless of the uniform colour.

Gas Masked Crusader said:
And darn be the pilot or ground crew who thinks I'm going to protect his butt in a deployed camp when the shite hits the fan because he ain't got his weapon around or the in-depth training to use it properly and instinctively. I'll be concentrating on whoever the threat is and backing up the ones who'll be backing me up, regardless of the uniform colour.

Sadly, I requested to get on a C7 and 9mm requal but the answer I got it the following: "You will get your qualifications when you need it. So give us a call back when you are deployed"

Max

So it's my fault the military won't train me enough to fire my rifle properly, (I know how to fire and maintain it, but I don't have nearly enough practice on it to fire it accurately, especially in times of high stress) or that by the time I graduate, I'll have fired a Browning about 4 times? Is it also my fault your boots didn't fit right when you first got them, and the Army pants make women's butts look big?

I get the main point you're trying to make, but blaming the member for the training he didn't/couldn't receive is a rather stupid argument to make, as SupersonicMax just said.

SupersonicMax

That's the best imitation of a whining, self indulgent, don't give a f**k pussy, that I've seen in a long time. Don't drop out of Drama Class, it's working for you.

I can only hope, for the good of the Service, that the panty waist you're portraying never has the obligation of taking care of troops.

If I belonged to the Sceen Actor's Guild, you'd have my nomination.

I don't care that the military makes me do anything as long as I can see what is the purpose of this... And honestly, all the military morning crap (except drill), I didn't see much of a use...

Max

Meridian said:
Sadly, DVessey and SupersonicMax are not the minority in the RMC fraternity. 
Sadly,

We could also poll graduates of basic training in Cornwallis, various SQ courses, ISCCs etc (courses for us 'little people') and find out that they did not enjoy all their experiences either. And that they were sleep deprived...

But hey, that's the Military and part of the training is to stress us out and see how we re-act (or don't) when under stress, when sleep deprived.

It's the ability to endure this, pick up and carry on with the task that will either make you or break you. So next time my cell phone goes off at 0330hrs, I'll just say "no I can't  come in and action it cause I did my real job for 9 hours today after my 1.5 hours of PT and then came home and did my correspondance for 3 hours so I need a mental break." That would have went over real well had I said it last week. The thought never even crossed my mind, nor did I whine about it. That's what being in the Military is all about. Get the task, get it done.

Sadly,

We could also poll graduates of basic training in Cornwallis, various SQ courses, ISCCs etc (courses for us 'little people') and find out that they did not enjoy all their experiences either. And that they were sleep deprived...

But hey, that's the Military and part of the training is to stress us out and see how we re-act (or don't) when under stress, when sleep deprived.

It's the ability to endure this, pick up and carry on with the task that will either make you or break you. So next time my cell phone goes off at 0330hrs, I'll just say "no I can't  come in and action it cause I did my real job for 9 hours today after my 1.5 hours of PT and then came home and did my correspondance for 3 hours so I need a mental break." That would have went over real well had I said it last week. The thought never even crossed my mind, nor did I whine about it. That's what being in the Military is all about. Get the task, get it done.

Right now, if you called me a 3 in the morning for a call, I would go in a hurry.  I don't see the point of having us to do a degree but taking all the tools away to do it or have us to strive for lower than we can.  If you want me to do a degree, give me all the ressources to do it, including time for homeworks.  My job at RMC was to study and that's the way I took it.

Max

SupersonicMax said:
And honestly, all the military morning crap (except drill), I didn't see much of a use...

Max

You dont know enough yet, to know what is useful and what is not.

Frederik G said:
So it's my fault the military won't train me enough to fire my rifle properly, (I know how to fire and maintain it, but I don't have nearly enough practice on it to fire it accurately, especially in times of high stress) or that by the time I graduate, I'll have fired a Browning about 4 times? Is it also my fault your boots didn't fit right when you first got them, and the Army pants make women's butts look big?

I get the main point you're trying to make, but blaming the member for the training he didn't/couldn't receive is a rather stupid argument to make, as SupersonicMax just said.

My boots did fit right and the new pants do make women look huge. What I'm saying is part of the training involves marching and a "we are soldiers first" mentality.
I didn't blame the soldier for their lack of training on the weapons...I blame it on a failure of elements to realize that this IS the military and that we go to war and that attitude of "soldiers first" obviously still needs to be instilled into certain training regimens.

That said, I think it's kind of funny that weapons trg seems to be OK but not marching. What are the pilots (for example) going to do when their deployed air-base gets attacked, their planes are destroyed and they need to get themselves away from the area? Lots of pilots did some awful long foot-marching about 6 decades ago when they were shot down over Europe...I just don't get why they think marching is for the Army only.  

My boots did fit right and the new pants do make women look huge. What I'm saying is part of the training involves marching and a "we are soldiers first" mentality.
I didn't blame the soldier for their lack of training on the weapons...I blame it on a failure of elements to realize that this IS the military and that we go to war and that attitude of "soldiers first" obviously still needs to be instilled into certain training regimens.

That said, I think it's kind of funny that weapons trg seems to be OK but not marching. What are the pilots (for example) going to do when their deployed air-base gets attacked, their planes are destroyed and they need to get themselves away from the area? Lots of pilots did some awful long foot-marching about 6 decades ago when they were shot down over Europe...I just don't get why they think marching is for the Army only.  

I absolutely don,t think that but summer is what it's for I think. Leave the winters for academics.

Max

Then suck it the f*** up, buttercup!

Seriously, though.  If one wants an education, why remain at an academy where the education is competing with other things?  There has to be some appeal beyond the inconvenience of leaving.

Just curious, if an ex-cpl or ex-sgt came on here and said that a lot of this stuff is BS, would anyone listen to them? Because they're in our classes, and they say pretty much the same things.

DVessey said:
Just curious, if an ex-cpl or ex-sgt came on here and said that a lot of this stuff is BS, would anyone listen to them?

NO....i've met enough ex-whatevers who still cant figure out that they are in the MILITARY !!

Well, to be honest, I was there so why bother leaving.  In the end, I'll do what I joined for.  I though the education was really good and the group of friends was amazing. So I stayed 4 years and did my "time"

Max

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back