• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Reserves Weapons Tech

C

CrimsonSeil

I went to a service armnoury and found out that there isn't much demand for weapons tech in the reserves. They advised me to choose anything else besides weapons tech only on the fact that there is nothing in the armoury for a reserves weapons technician to do. I was wondering if this was happening to all service battalions. I went to the 12th service battallion. Due to the fact that I probably cant be a weapons technician i'm going to have to be a vehical technician  :p What do you guys think?

Seil said:
I went to a service armnoury and found out that there isn't much demand for weapons tech in the reserves. They advised me to choose anything else besides weapons tech only on the fact that there is nothing in the armoury for a reserves weapons technician to do. I was wondering if this was happening to all service battalions. I went to the 12th service battallion. Due to the fact that I probably cant be a weapons technician i'm going to have to be a vehical technician   :p What do you guys think?

There is a demand for them, but it's hard to get spare parts.  It also depends on what the Area Support Unit allows them to do, at least here.  In fact these comments relate to the Vehicle techs too.

At this time, I hope you have most of the summer off, because the courses are around 3 months long.  Though there is a move to modularize the courses

heh wel in the 12 service battalion. the most needed postion is driver  :dontpanic: i dont want that haha. i was allowed to choose anything else besides weapons tech. shucks well i bet the regular force will have weapon tech i hope. anyways. i guess vehicle teach is good enuf. although i overheard that you need minimal automotives experience which i dont have but i am takin courses. i never knew  :eek:

There is sometimes tons of work to do and sometimes very little it all depends on what is going on in your unit and around your brigade. If you get posted to ASU there is enough work to go around. I also know that ASU toronto Weapons Techs work on civilian weapons. So i dont find to much of a shortage around there. Also as a tech, if there isn't enough weapons work you can always be tasked to help out other techs.

CFN. Orange said:
There is sometimes tons of work to do and sometimes very little it all depends on what is going on in your unit and around your brigade. If you get posted to ASU there is enough work to go around. I also know that ASU toronto Weapons Techs work on civilian weapons. So i dont find to much of a shortage around there. Also as a tech, if there isn't enough weapons work you can always be tasked to help out other techs.

What about Class A Wpns Techs is there much for them to do a 25 SVC Btn?

It's not a question of work, there is always work required and if not on weapons there is always learning that doesn't require anything more elaborate than a C7 and a small tool box. It's sometimes a question of supervision, parts and the right training required at the right time to complete QL4, etc.
A lot depends on your unit pers and the unit's prox to it's ASU.

We currently don't have any weapons tech's because of the lack of supervisory pers.
No Reg F Cadre (surprise-surprise) and our other supervisors are attached out.
Cheers
AM

TR said:
What about Class A Wpns Techs is there much for them to do a 25 SVC Btn?

much for them to do as in OJT for ql4? or on parade nights? or on class B?

Cause as a Class A, your usually just comming out to parade nights for general training with the unit, and on weekends you have enough work, you can get up on advanced parties to help setup ranges work on prefire checks, ect... I know the last weekend during Mloc training some of our techs were out non stop on all the ranges from the advance party till it was time to pack up and head home. Same with on stelwart guardian 04 we had tons of work to do.

Good to know. I wasn't sure how much hands on witht the guns a weapons tech got these days.

I was a PRes Wpns Tech Land for 8 years (92-00) at 33 Svc Bn in Nova Scotia. Initially the job was awesome. Range teching every weekend. Service checks on Bn and Infantry Reg's weapons. They ranged from 9mm Browning to 50Cal HMG. Then around the mid 90's a new rule came out...no Wpn techs required on ranges smaller then 7.62mm. So, I was not required for any range practices for pistol/C-7/C9. Then the name "Stove Tech" was all I was. So as members above said, unless ya are on class B/C callout on a active base you are out of luck with the big guns for fun anymore.
For the guy happy on the MP5, well, reserve techs do not touch them. Unless ya are callout as said above. I only gotthe chance to play with one at the Armoury school in Borden.
BUT...the best part of being a Weapons Tech is the guys ya work with. Maintenance Coy has the best esprit de'Corpes out of any spot I have been. As well, when ya are in the field all ya have to worry about outside the maint Coy Biv is food coming in and mail. If any veh/wpn/generator goes down. The boys to fix it are in house and prob sleep in the MRT a 100m away.
I say the above from my experience as a trucker. Our fleet of HLVW's went out of service one night. For the next 4 days I sat in trench for the Ex. Instead of doing my real job as a drvr.
Weapons Tech is a good trade, but ya wont be playign with big guns every training night like ay would expect.

Good Luck on your choice's

Any of you spend any time in Meaford..after I got out, I worked as a civilian gunplummer for CBO. (Canadian Base Operators) and worked on everything from small arms to Coyote, Howitzers and hydraulic lifts, stoves,lanterns (yuck) bicycles and even weight equipment at the gym. To be an effective Wpns Tech means you have to be a "jack of all trades" we are a rare unique group of people and that is why I always loved the trade. I wouldn't have gone into any other trade..ever!  Believe it or not, the Company sent me on a Coyote gunnery course...not sure if I was the only civilian ever to take that course, but I definitely felt a little out of place. I did make faces at my course mates while they were on parade though  lol

B

One of the largest problems with Res Wpns Techs, is getting qualified QL5's on the ground.  If your Unit can get the qualified personnel, contact the ETSM of the ASU Maint, see if its possible to have him enter your Res Shop onto his PLANN EXpert system.  By doing this, the ASU controls the workorders for inspections and repairs, they collect your man-hours and control the flow of parts accounting and you get time on the weapons.  I would think any reasonable ETSM would be happy to be offered a no cost way of lowering his back log.
One major obstacle to this is your own Unit, alot of the Service Battalions are only mandated by their Brigade's to service only themselves with the responsibility of other Units which you might be co-located with falling directly under the ASU.  Cooperation with an ASU ETSM can influence this.
What makes or breaks these efforts is the Techs, if you come in on parade night with your Tim Hortons in hand and spend the first hour catching up on the local BS, then you will get no-where.  In order for this to be a viable effort, the Techs have got to be committed, Shop NCO's have got to have work set up prior to parade night, after parade Techs have got to be on the job immediately, lots of weapons and ancillary equipment, NOT so much time.
Keeping in mind that QL3 Techs have got to be supervised by QL5 min, QL4 trg requirements  should be kept in mind when handing out work loads and A senior NCO, either Wpns or Veh qualified should be over-seeing the shop, especially in the  safety aspect of operations.
The work is out there, its up to those with the qualifications to ensure everyone knows how willing and dedicated they are to doing it.

I find that the biggest problem with parade nights as a reservist tech, is that we never have work, but with that in mind the boss upstairs has been looking into exactly the idea you have described copper.

Hey Gnplummer421, I got a buddy who spent a year and a half in meaford on staff there doing his OJT you might know him, leggat is the name

MMmm name sounds familiar..I was there around 96/97 for about a year and a bit...was he there working with the military or CBO..

Bob

military, but i deffinatley dont think he was doing it that far back

Does he have a brother named Jeff? I knew a gunplumber in Germany named Jeff leggat (sp) He was reg force wpns tech.

gnplummer421 said:
Does he have a brother named Jeff? I knew a gunplumber in Germany named Jeff leggat (sp) He was reg force wpns tech.

I know Jeff Leggat. He was a MCpl/Sgt <cant remember fer sure> on the K' Lines Gagetown 95-96. He was my supervisor during my summer Tech'ing in those days.
Great guy. Only one ever went out of his way to help me complete my QL 4's.
Heh, I used to laugh at him driving his ol Rabbit thsoe days. Big Guy fer a small vehicle. lol

Well you are right, he is a great guy.

He did second line work for us in the field on the Tank guns, and we would try to get him to stay the night so we could kill a few braincells. (drinking was ok in those days)

Cheers

Gnplummer421 :cdn:

This may not be in the good section, but the EME subforum is quite slow, and my 2011 post didn't get any answer  :-\

I am still trying to make things work out for me to enroll as a weapon tech (reserve) in Quebec. I've been thinking about this for a good while now, and went trough pretty much all the documentation available on the web. However, there was a lot of questions left about the trade, specifically the Lantern Tech. side of it, and the possibility for further training. I went to an information night, and I don't think they where expecting anyone beacause while I had two recruiters only for me, no one could really answer specific question about the weapon techs, to my disappointment.

So, how is it day to day for a reserve weapon tech? specificaly in saint-hubert if anyone is there?

Thanks a lot,

Gabriel

I cannot comment on it directly, but the weapons techs in my unit really enjoy what they do and are proud of it.

As a wpn tech, you'll start with BMQ/BMQ-L, like any other soldier in the Reserves.  In your first summer you'll coimplete the EME common course - tool safety and other aspects of EME life, together with your needed driver qualifications.

Your second summer will be your Wpn Tech training.  The system for EME technicians in the Reserves is undergoing change right now, with the new system being introduced.  That may be part of the reason why the recruiters did not respond immediately - they need to ensure they are providing you with the up to date information.

Day to day in the Reserves, as a Wpn Tech you'll do all the common soldier skills maintenance training required (called IBTS); you'll practice your technical skills, and sometimes provide support to other units.  For example, you may be tasked to support a machine gun course; you could be sent to assist with annual technical inspections for the weapons held by a unit; and there are other taskings that arise that are for any solider (not trade specific).

The first big thing is to complete the initial training: BMQ, BMQ-L, EME Common, and DP1 Wpn Tech.

Back