• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Reserve Weekend BMQ ( merged )

In regards to the missing of BMQ weekends...

A member of my section missed a weekend about halfway through, and although he was brought up (mostly) to standard the next week he will not be graduating with the rest of us. Instead, he must wait until the next rotation to make up that weekend.

Likewise, a member of our platoon was  at first unable to make it to the First Aid training this week and was told "Either make it, or re-course". He made arrangements.

Others have missed a day or two here and there and haven't had to take any additional weekends, nor were they forced to re-course. I believe it all comes down to the amount of time you are missing, the information you are missing and the unique characteristics of your particular BMQ.

well, if all goes well, I'll be starting on January 9th but I'll miss march break and the following weekends course which is pretty far in and with my luck, I'll miss the rifle range or something, which is probably something you most definitely can't miss?

Sorry for stealing the thread

DLord

Question for you Dredre,

Do you work at the unit on tuesday nights, while you are doing BMQ? Or do you start after BMQ only?

Thank you

They had us (16 or so recruits) on pre-BMQ training tuesday nights leading up to when BMQ began. We did this about 6 or 7 times. Basically the purpose was to get us doing some PT, and give us some background on our unit. It also allowed us to get to know some of the course staff, and the other recruits ahead of time.

After BMQ started it has been a little confusing. A hand-full of us went in on each of the Tuesday nights; however, after training on each of those nights, we were told there was a mistake made and we were not supposed to have come in.

I do know that some of the other regiments on our course have their recruits go in on the Tuesdays every week. So it is different with each unit.

That being said, if you have plans made and you get a phone call or email to show up on short notice...it is not the end of the world, and don't kill yourself to show up. We had a recruit try to rush in, it was wet out, and he got into a car accident. He was alright, however we were told that if it is too close of a call, just either be late (but let them know) or tell them why you can't make it.

okay so that I got that understood correctly, you do your BMQ every other weekend but you sometimes go in on parade night as well?

DLord said:
okay so that I got that understood correctly, you do your BMQ every other weekend but you sometimes go in on parade night as well?

Once you are on your BMQ, you will not be required to come in on parade night, unless instructed to by your CoC.
(applies to the Lincoln and Welland Regiment)

okay thank you. going for medical, interview and test on Wednesday the 10th of December, what should I wear? If all goes well, the lady said a new course starts on the 9th of January, correct?

DLord

DLord said:
okay thank you. going for medical, interview and test on Wednesday the 10th of December, what should I wear? If all goes well, the lady said a new course starts on the 9th of January, correct?

DLord

I can't say for sure if BMQ starts on 9 Jan, but I did see a bunch of new recruits in this past Thursday and as I was introducing myself to them I asked them when they started BMQ, the said January.

I would wear nothing less then a suit and tie.

Best of Luck!

If you have any specific unit questions, feel free to PM me.

EDIT: to add

P-PLATOON said:
Once you are on your BMQ, you will not be required to come in on parade night, unless instructed to by your CoC.
(applies to the Lincoln and Welland Regiment)

Funny, I'd swear I saw a directive from Cmdr 31 CBG stating that PATs and BMQ pers will parade with their units on regular trg nights.

Love793 said:
Funny, I'd swear I saw a directive from Cmdr 31 CBG stating that PATs and BMQ pers will parade with their units on regular trg nights.

It's possibile, but it hasn't been sent down the CoC here as of yet, though. My info is up to date as of last week, but if it is true, I think that is a good thing for the recruits.

cheers!

EDIT:spelling

Thanks for the posts dredre, very interesting.

I'm just curious, how many push-ups do they ask you to do?

thanks

As for the training on Tuesday nights, I would appreciate the opportunity to attend them in between weekends of BMQ. A little extra training, and time with the rest of the recruits could do us no harm. Besides the fact, a little extra money (no matter how little) during university always helps.

For push-ups, they like to threaten us with large numbers (100-150) but the most we have done so far is 50 (in two sets of 25). It is relatively easy to do, however they can throw in a sidewinder by making you hold the push-up position while your up of down. So if you need to prepare yourself make sure your doing push-ups every morning before you hop in the shower, as well as planks. If your unfamiliar, planks are basically holding yourself in a push-up position, with a straight back, until failure. That's a very simple explanation of a plank.

Great, thanks.

I'm sure I'll be asking you the same question after your upcoming weekends.

This course doesn't sound as hard as my friends have made it out to be.  What does it matter that they take your berets away anyway.  I mean, what kind of person thinks that that's a punishment?

joinreservesdec08 said:
This course doesn't sound as hard as my friends have made it out to be.  What does it matter that they take your berets away anyway.  I mean, what kind of person thinks that that's a punishment?

having your beret taken away is more a thing of honor and pride, you'll understand soon enough

canadian_moose said:
having your beret taken away is more a thing of honor and pride, you'll understand soon enough

its fairly shamefull to not have your beret. Plus, everyone knows your in sheit.

speaking of berets, each regiment (reserves and regular) each get their own unique badge, correct?

Only Infantry and Armoured have unique cap badges IIRC. Others where corps badges.

Example: All Engineers where the same badge

Back