• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Reserve to Reg force

Muratori

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi , My name is Steven last April I applied to the reserves not knowing the lengthy process time. My plan was to join for a year then switch to reg force they are just doing my reliability check with everything completed they said i will be sworn in on the 3rd of December. But due to the time its taken to process me this is about what time I wanted to switch to the reg force. If i were to say I want to go to reg force now would I have to go through the process again or would it be quick. Or should I get sworn into the reserves so I have a job while waiting for the process if its going to be a long one.

I'm going to tell you right now if your set on reg force, VR now and rejoin as reg force. The switch to reg from reserve is notoriously known for being extremely long and drawn out, we have guys in my unit who have been waiting four years now.

Muratori said:
Hi , My name is Steven last April I applied to the reserves not knowing the lengthy process time. My plan was to join for a year then switch to reg force they are just doing my reliability check with everything completed they said i will be sworn in on the 3rd of December. But due to the time its taken to process me this is about what time I wanted to switch to the reg force. If i were to say I want to go to reg force now would I have to go through the process again or would it be quick. Or should I get sworn into the reserves so I have a job while waiting for the process if its going to be a long one.

Just so you know, If you VR from the Reserves, you will have to wait a year before applying to the REG Force! Speaking from experience, I was in the reserves, I put in a VR, then a few months later I applied to the REG force (not knowing I had to wait a year). The process was moving along great, they did my background check and everything, got to the interview stage when it was noticed that I had not been out of the reserves for the full year.
They then told me my file had to be closed because it had not been a year yet.  :facepalm:
Now I think that this is only if you are not qualified in your trade, might want to check on that one. 
So here I am waiting for Nov. 18 to come when I have been officially out of the reserves for a year.
Just something to think about because I was unaware of this.
Good Luck!

Also, my VR took some time, I put it in just before summer last year and was not officially released until Nov 18th.

jordandixon3 said:
Just so you know, If you VR from the Reserves, you will have to wait a year before applying to the REG Force! Speaking from experience, I was in the reserves, I put in a VR, then a few months later I applied to the REG force (not knowing I had to wait a year). The process was moving along great, they did my background check and everything, got to the interview stage when it was noticed that I had not been out of the reserves for the full year.
They then told me my file had to be closed because it had not been a year yet.  :facepalm:
Now I think that this is only if you are not qualified in your trade, might want to check on that one. 
So here I am waiting for Nov. 18 to come when I have been officially out of the reserves for a year.
Just something to think about because I was unaware of this.
Good Luck!

Pretty sure you are right.

On topic

I am curious as to how no one within the recruiting process would of told you that was a bad idea. :facepalm:

It will take at least a year to get trade qualified in the reserves, then the CT will take anywhere from 3 months to a 2 years if not longer. I've heard average is 1-2 years however.

If you haven't sworn in yet I wouldn't and just ask the CFRC and ask if you can switch your application to reg force. Thus eliminating the 1 year window to re apply, and all the years waiting to ct, and to get loaded on the course. If you can do that, that is what I would do

runormal said:
I am curious as to how no one within the recruiting process would of told you that was a bad idea. :facepalm:

Someone effed, up or the OP wasn't completely forthcoming about his intentions.

Back