• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Rememberance Day Speech in Schools

A

Alfreda

I am speaking in several schools, for the first time, with regards to Poppy and Remeberance day.  Anybody have any ideas hou I can approach the little ones in order to make it interesting without scaring the bejeebers out of them.  Like I said I am a "civvy", very involved with our Canadian Veterans.
I have been given no guidelines, only an advisory to make the content accurate.
These children will be kindergarden, grades 1-3.
Do you guys think pictures would be appropriate?
Thanks
Freda

The Legion usually distributes lesson plans and ideas to schools. They should be there any time.
Pictures would be an effective tool if they show kids their own age. You can emphasis the sacrifices made by vets and their families by citing situations where fathers went to war never seeing their children born and coming back when the kids were in Kindergarten. The reasons the fathers made the sacrifice was to protect them and other children.

I think you should try to make them feel proud to be Canadian. Inform them of our strong and rich military history. It‘s starts when your young, Good Luck.

Also, let them know that whe ever they see a tank blown up it isn‘t a video game, it means that people won‘t be coming home, ever.

It‘s not just about those who didn‘t come back. I‘m not a child educator, but I‘d try bringing it to their level.

The approach I would take is to show pictures of vets, both then and today. I‘d also discuss how these men had to leave their families, often for years, and that some couldn‘t return. Maybe discuss how the children of the vets may have felt (they also made a sacrifice, after all). And then I‘d tie it in to Remembrance Day, explaining that we have this day set aside to thank the vets (and their families) for everything they had to give up for us.

You‘ll probably have to gauge your level of detail based on the age and responsiveness of the group.

It‘s something that kids need to know about, but the age group your dealing with is pretty young to be dealing with the concepts of war and death.

I can‘t even imagine the types of questions you‘re bound to get...

Good Luck!

I also tie in the troops that are currently on operation all over the world. I try to get the kids to write letters to the troops and send them overseas. They usually get there close to Christmas. It‘s like killing two birds with one stone, the kids feel good to write and the guys overseas get mail. If the troops write back it really makes the kids‘ day. Everybody wins.

As a teacher in a grade school, I agree with Another Recce Guy. I‘ve had students write to guys overseas. They love getting responses. It is important to bring the concept to their level and to tie it in to today.

Thanks everybody, did a talk yesterday and used some of your suggestions.
Believe it or not, not 1 kid could tell me why rememberance day is when it is. They were however really impressed with the new $10 bill ( it has part of Flanders Fields written on it )
Oh well, onward I go, next, the boy scouts.
Cheers
Freda

Good for you! Let all the kids know what it‘s all about, they will tomorrow‘s leadrers.

Back