• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Reg Forces and Reserves on the side??

NDC

Inactive
Reaction score
If you are in the Reg forces.. but you want to do something like say Musician in the reserves (assuming it is in the city you are posted to), is it possible to be in both??

I realize it would depend on time, like if your reg forces job was a dayjob and if the reserve job was night/weekend or something.. But assuming you did have time for it, would you be allowed to do something like that?

(Musician is the only reserve job id want to do, if I was in the reg forces. I might apply for reg forces musician but Its quite hard to get in, and it'd be nice to have another career too for if I return to civilian life)

If you mean "can you be in the Reg F and Reserves at the same time," the answer is no.

However, with the agreement of both COs, you may be able to volunteer to play with a local Reserve band.

Also, there are volunteer bands that are comprised of RegF that are not musicians by trade at some Bases.

The short answer is that you cannot serve in more than one component of the CF at a time.  You're either Reg F or Res F.  However, that doesn't stop you from volunteering with a local Reserve unit band, as long as both your Reg F Unit CO and the Res F Unit CO agree on the terms and conditions of your volunteer activity.

Darn it, Miichael O'Leary.  You beat me to it!!!

Michael nailed it. Reserve bands will typically take talent from wherever they can get it.

There are also many volunteer military bands that you can play at where wearing of the uniform is required (e.g. British Columbia Regt Band, Royal Westminster Regt Band) As long as you have permission from your CO it should be okay.

Task said:
Also, there are volunteer bands that are comprised of RegF that are not musicians by trade at some Bases.

Such as 2 CMBG Pipes and Drums, formerly the SSF Pipes and Drums.

Back