• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

References Superthread [Merged]

Hi,

I'm required to put 4 references on my enrollment paper, before doing my CFAT test. Since the references can't be a friend, a member of my family, a coworker or a neighbor, i'm left with pretty much nobody to write. I've been off school for like 10+ years, pretty sure my old teachers don't even remember me, and I dont really remember their names either. What should I do? I can enter my current boss, but beside that i'm pretty much FUBAR.
Can an ex coworker or members of my girlfriend's family be valid?

Thanks!

Deadpoetic6 said:
Hi,

I'm required to put 4 references on my enrollment paper, before doing my CFAT test. Since the references can't be a friend, a member of my family, a coworker or a neighbor, i'm left with pretty much nobody to write. I've been off school for like 10+ years, pretty sure my old teachers don't even remember me, and I dont really remember their names either. What should I do? I can enter my current boss, but beside that i'm pretty much FUBAR.
Can an ex coworker or members of my girlfriend's family be valid?

Thanks!

Re-read the instructions, understand them and follow them.

Read this whole thread and take advice from the posts in it.

Good day,

This may be a tough question to answer seeing how garda is the one who does the security check, but would anyone know if references are contacted at the start of the check or towards the completion?

Hi,

I am 24 years old and am planning to apply rotp next year.
I am trying to find four references who have known me for at least the last 5 continuous years (either individually or combination), but I can only think of one professor who had known me from 2012~2013.
From 2013~2016, I took 3 gap years from a university due to a family issue and was unsociable at that time, so I don't know anyone who can cover this timeline.
I am resuming my university as a second-year student this year and trying my best to get involved in extracurricular activities and physical activities. I am wondering if I could use people whom I met back in my high school years (but I haven't contacted them for years) as references.

The only stipulation on References is that they have known you for five years.  It does not state "when" that five years was, nor "where" they may live. 

For a Clearance I had to list a neighbour who had known me.  As I had moved recently to a new city, I had to use a neighbour from my old town who had known me for over ten years. 

This could already be somewhere, but in case anybody wanted to know more about the recruiting centre contacting your employers, if they can't reach them, you can send in all of your T4 slips to the recruiting centre and avoid the annoyance of calling all of your employers. I just did that today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

George Wallace said:
The only stipulation on References is that they have known you for five years.  It does not state "when" that five years was, nor "where" they may live. 

For a Clearance I had to list a neighbour who had known me.  As I had moved recently to a new city, I had to use a neighbour from my old town who had known me for over ten years.

I spoke to the recruiting centre about references when I was re-enrolling last year, I was informed they will accept references that have known you for less than 5 years. The Cpl I spoke to said they don't want to see all references that have only known you for a few months. Having one or two that have known you less than the 5 was acceptable. I had listed a reference that had known me for 4.

In my case, I was told I needed to cover the last 5 years continuously. It didn't matter if I had known them for less than 5 years. The only thing that mattered is, I needed to be under their supervision (as an employer, teacher or mentor) for different periods over the last 5 years, without interruption. I received a call because despite the fact I had 4 references, I had one period of time that was not covered by any of them. I needed to provide an extra reference who was my employer/teacher during that specific period.

:mad: Beware of third party company (Mintz Global Screening, formerly Garda) and their bogus reference checks :mad:

My application file, although entirely completed, has been sitting on my MCC's desk for weeks now because Mintz Global Screening allegedly failed to contact BOTH my employment references via phone AND email. As per the notes that they sent back to my CFRC, they mentioned that they also failed to contact me in an attempt to notify me about the matter.

For weeks I was going to my CFRC and the recruiters at the front desk were telling me that my file was complete and the only thing left to do was have the MCC sign off on it. Finally, I received a call on April 3rd from a senior file manager informing me about the situation. He told me that its not the first time this has happened and that he strongly believes the third party company is falsifying the reference checks in many cases.

Fortunately, he was kind enough to take the matter on personally and my MCC agreed to contact my employment references without sending my file back to Mintz. I was also told that the CAF recruitment agencies will no longer be using Mintz as of next year.

As a warning to the fellow hopeful recruits, keep a close eye on how your reference checks are being handled.

On the other hand, I commend the individuals working my file at my CFRC, and I am very happy they brought this to my attention. As of April 3rd, one of my two employment references, if not both, have already been contacted.

mjk8390 said:
I am 24 years old and am planning to apply rotp next year.
I am trying to find four references who have known me for at least the last 5 continuous years (either individually or combination), but I can only think of one professor who had known me from 2012~2013.

Try to get in touch with a high school teacher that would still know you by name if they saw you, talk to them and inform them of your plans. Just because you haven't seen them for the past 3 years doesn't mean they technically haven't known you for 5. If you have at least one person that has known you for 5 years (high school teacher), chances are they won't call anybody else, meaning your other 3 references don't have to cover extensive time lines.  Good luck.

clmarr said:
In my case, I was told I needed to cover the last 5 years continuously. It didn't matter if I had known them for less than 5 years. The only thing that mattered is, I needed to be under their supervision (as an employer, teacher or mentor) for different periods over the last 5 years, without interruption. I received a call because despite the fact I had 4 references, I had one period of time that was not covered by any of them. I needed to provide an extra reference who was my employer/teacher during that specific period.

You're confusing references with employment history.  A reference is simply someone who can vouch for your character and can be just about anyone who has known you for at least five years.  You can use past employers/supervisors as references, but your references need not have anything to do with your past employment.

So, I just talked to my "recruiting councillor" and she said that the "powers that be" are doing my reference checks & criminal/background check. Now, one of.the references if a 5th cousin and I work for him regularly. If they contacted him, do they swear him to secrecy? Or can he tell me that they kicked tires with him? Also, do you think that disqualifies him from vouch ing for me? Our relation  is so far (his grandmother & my mother's grandfather were siblings) that it shouldn't, normally.

Also, the "recruiting councillor" also said that the trade I chose "boatswain" was to be decided by the 19th of April. Assuming this is a rough estimate and they don't fulfill the jobs (32) can it carry over to May? June? Or should I assume that if I hear nothing from them, my check didn't go good?

Thanks a bunch
Joe

Your reference check is being conducted by a third party company (Mintz Global Screening). You should have informed your references beforehand so that they would expect a call. The rules on the application are clear: Members of the family or relatives, family friends, friends, neighbours, co-workers or peers are not considered valid references.

Having said, a fifth cousin is so distant that it would not have been worth mentioning it on the application, merely stating him as a "supervisor" which falls under the scope of "professional references" would have been sufficient. That is my opinion and how I probably would have handled it; so I would say, no, it does not disqualify him from vouching for you.

There is nothing that prevents your references from following up with you if they receive a call.

To answer your final question, if they do not fill all the positions on April 19th, they will use future selection dates to fill those positions. It can take a long time for your file to be processed depending on  when you submitted your application and the stage that its at right now. If your file is completed later this year and you are placed on the competition list but all the positions have been filled, you will potentially have to wait until next year for new openings and a chance at being selected. When it comes to that point, the chance of you being selected depends on the strength of your application compared to that of the other candidates on the competition list.

Cheers.

John Kanaka said:
Your reference check is being conducted by a third party company (Mintz Global Screening). You should have informed your references beforehand so that they would expect a call. The rules on the application are clear: Members of the family or relatives, family friends, friends, neighbours, co-workers or peers are not considered valid references.

Having said, a fifth cousin is so distant that it would not have been worth mentioning it on the application, merely stating him as a "supervisor" which falls under the scope of "professional references" would have been sufficient. That is my opinion and how I probably would have handled it; so I would say, no, it does not disqualify him from vouching for you.

There is nothing that prevents your references from following up with you if they receive a call.

To answer your second question, if they do not fill all the positions on April 19th, they will use future selection dates to fill those positions.

I got the okay from them all..I called to ask them if they'd do it and they all said yeah. I only asked on part of my cousin is that if he blurts our relationship  (as far back as it is) it doesn't smear his reputation. I was sure to chose high position people (teacher, former Sgt in the US Army, head of the welding school & Chief) so I look good.

I wouldn't worry about it, so long as he mentions that you work for him or have worked for him. Your references seem like really good sources.

FlyLikeAnEagle said:
Also, the "recruiting councillor" also said that the trade I chose "boatswain" was to be decided by the 19th of April. Assuming this is a rough estimate and they don't fulfill the jobs (32) can it carry over to May? June? Or should I assume that if I hear nothing from them, my check didn't go good?

Selections continue to be ongoing until the occupation is filled for the year, that might take 1 selection, 2, 3 or 20.  Just because the CAF is recruiting 50 Boatswains for 17/18 doesn't mean they will all be chosen in one selection.  They are selected based on their merit score (a combination of CFAT/TSD, Interview).  So after the 19 April 2017 there might be positions remaining.  I would give your CFRC a call a week or two after that date to find out if there are still openings.

Buck_HRA said:
Selections continue to be ongoing until the occupation is filled for the year, that might take 1 selection, 2, 3 or 20.  Just because the CAF is recruiting 50 Boatswains for 17/18 doesn't mean they will all be chosen in one selection.  They are selected based on their merit score (a combination of CFAT/TSD, Interview).  So after the 19 April 2017 there might be positions remaining.  I will give your CFRC a call a week or two after that date to find out if there are still openings.

They wrote me back saying I'm getting a final screening (checks) and they'll let me know if I go into selection. Is it true that if you're not selected they'll inform you via email? I'm suppose to be doing my drive school but I put it on hold til I get a response. I'm also looking at a few welding jobs but don't wanna commit until this either sinks or swims.

Thanks

Hello everyone,

Since the reference instructions state the following, I have a few issues:

"Members of your family or relatives, family friends, friends, neighbours, co-workers or peers are not considered valid references.
Your references, either individually or in combination, must have known you for at least the last five (5) continuous years."

I have spent three years studying in Europe and cannot adequately provide sources for the past three years. I had no relationship with my professors, and have not worked in those three years. I can try to find my high school vice-principal for my reference from four to five years back, however, I cannot proceed without filling in these three years. I've thought long and hard and cannot think of a single prof that knows my name (I was a quiet one in class that never spoke).

Are my chances of entering the Forces nill now that I've got virtually no references for that period of time?

Note: References must be:

a. Educational references: these persons are former or current teachers, professors, coaches, instructors, or trainers;
b. Professional references: these persons are former or current supervisors, managers, foremen, advisors, or employers; or
c. Personal references: these persons can be a minister, clergyman, mentor, counsellor, or community leader.

Back