• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Recruitment Trial Advice

xander

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi there, I post very rarely but I've lurked on this forum since fall of last year. I wanted to thank everyone who posted tips/commentary on the whole recruitment trial. I do believe that because of this forum and its often under used search function I was able to better prepare myself for the testing. Even the horror stories of people failing their PT or aptitude test helped me in a positive way. When other people fail, you realize the possibilty of yourself failing and consequently you use that fear of failure to train and overprepare. Here is some advice I would like to offer those going through the recruitment trial.

CFAT-You can't really study for the vocabulary and spatial sections. It's either you have good existing ability for both or you don't. Math problems are a different story. I strongly suggest you look over grade 10 math, in particular, fractions, decimals and sequencing.

Interview/Drug Questionnaire- I had a short interview that lasted about 10-15 minutes as I am applying to the PRes. Know basic things about the trade you are applying for such as the duration of training, where you would be training and the requirements for you to succeed. On the drug questionnaire, DO NOT lie or give inaccurate information. If you are cross referenced and you foul up, you will be disqualified. Honestly is the best policy concerning this and all things.

Medical- Not much you can do here to prepare for this. Again, don't lie. If you have had surgery, make sure the MO knows about it. Provide every detail concerning your health, no matter how trivial it may seem. For the hearing test, I took the advice of some members on here by closing my eyes in order to really concentrate on those faint beeps and it worked.

PT- Somewhere on here I remember reading "not preparing to train is preparing to fail." Absolutely right. In my group of four, only myself and another guy passed our PT test. Remember the proper positioning for pushups and do plenty of cardio. It may seem like an easy test but for those who havn't prepared, it can be really demoralizing while three other people watch as you struggle with pushup number five and the tester tells you to come back in a month. I must reiterate that you must be honest during anything you fill out. During the PT test before mine, one guy who may have conveniently forgot to tell the tester he has asthma for fear of being disqualified or some othe reason had an attack during the step test. He spent the next 20 minutes recuperating.

I guess the above can be summed up like this. Be honest, train hard, strive and you will succeed. Looking foward to the call and BMQ in July!

heres a question that i could not find a concrete answer to...

If you wear glasses/contacts should you bring a current prescripition to your medical exam?

I did since my perscription was pretty strong(6.5).

I went and got a checkup on my eyes right after I dropped off the first forms that had to be filled out so that I had an updated prescription for them.

Mind you that it was only a month early for my yearly eye test. Now that my eyes have been stable for 3 years I doubt I have to worry much about my eyes changing much.

I don't remember what I was told, but regardless, I put a copy of my current prescription in the file I had with me.  Turned out to be helpful, and it doesn't hurt to carry a bit more paper.
Agreed with ixium, current is better.  I go yearly so it was no big deal.

ok good, i havent had an actual prescription filled out in almost 10 years, when i got my contacts the doctor just analyzed my glasses to figure out the prescription. But I am planning on getting one done, just wanted to make sure if i should bring it with me or not. Thanks guys

You should have been told to not wear your contacts for at least 24 hrs prior to your medical and to wear your glasses on the day of your medical.

kincanucks said:
You should have been told to not wear your contacts for at least 24 hrs prior to your medical and to wear your glasses on the day of your medical.

Hmm, wasn't told that, I will call and confirm. Thanks

Back