• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

"Re-Royalization", "Re-Britification" and the Heritage Transformation

The RCN has its old rank titles and executive curl back. What should be the next step for the CF ra

• Nothing. The current rank system works, so leave it alone.

Votes: 128 55.9%
  • Complete return to the pre-unification ranks of the 50s and early 60s.

Votes: 47 20.5%
  • Complete return to post unification ranks of the 70s and early 80s.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Officers only return to the pre-unification ranks of the 50s and early 60s.

Votes: 9 3.9%
  • Copy the UK rank system - it is the prototype anyway.

Votes: 20 8.7%
  • Copy the US rank system - they are the new colonial master.

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • Create a whole new Canadian system.

• Lobby for standardized NATO rank insignia.

• Copy the French rank system - it is the other founding nation's turn

Votes: 2 0.9%

• Total voters

daftandbarmy

Army.ca Relic
Reaction score
Tomorrow's too soon ... we'll need a few meetings of old farts and honorary colonels and so in the main bar of the officers' mess to decide who gets what colour of cap, what colours of flaps and inserts and piping and so on ... it's all very important, morale boosting stuff.

As to the RCAF ... View attachment 73761... these were flippin' pilots! Look at those crushed caps.

Ruthlessly efficient killers (like Beurling) can wear whatever the heck they want IMHO ;)

OldSolduer

Army.ca Myth
Reaction score
Tomorrow's too soon ... we'll need a few meetings of old farts and honorary colonels and so in the main bar of the officers' mess to decide who gets what colour of cap, what colours of flaps and inserts and piping and so on ... it's all very important, morale boosting stuff.

As to the RCAF ... View attachment 73761... these were flippin' pilots! Look at those crushed caps.
If I’m not mistaken that’s Buzz Beurling.

Was he not RAF because the RCAF didn’t want him?

He had the best eyes on the planet - like a hawk after prey.

daftandbarmy

Army.ca Relic
Reaction score
The RCAF wanted him after he became famous as that "ruthlessly efficient killer" that Richard described.

More examples of recruiting problems in the CAF ;)

Refused enlistment in the Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF) at the outbreak of World War II, he sought, and was refused, enlistment in the Chinese Air Force and the Air Force of Finland. Beurling again attempted to join the RCAF as a pilot and again was rejected. This refusal caused him to join the crew of a merchant ship and cross the submarine-infested Atlantic in order to enlist in the Royal Air Force (RAF) in England. Again he was refused, this time for lack of proper documents. He promptly returned to Canada, secured the required papers, and within a week sailed back to England, where he was finally accepted for pilot training by the RAF.

Blackadder1916

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
"it's about time that each regiment had a distinctive cap"

It's not as if there hasn't been efforts by certain regiments to manufacture "tradition" and distinctiveness with a special hat. I came across these clippings in a scrapbook in the Memorial University of Newfoundland digital collection.

While undated, they likely were from the early 1960s based on other items in the scrapbook. Obviously, it didn't get past the proposal stage. I did like the distinctly Newfie touch of a sealskin hat band, though (if it had been adopted) it would have been a later target of the "don't club baby seals" advocates.

R Nfld Regt proposed hat 1960s.jpg R Nfld Regt proposed hat 1960s 2.jpg R Nfld Regt proposed hat 1960s 3.jpg

dimsum

Army.ca Legend
Mentor
Reaction score
"...resembles the hats of NZ and SA...difference is the brim, upturned to the left..."

So, uh, it more closely resembles the Australian Army slouch hats?

1664048203113.png

FSTO

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
More examples of recruiting problems in the CAF ;)

Refused enlistment in the Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF) at the outbreak of World War II, he sought, and was refused, enlistment in the Chinese Air Force and the Air Force of Finland. Beurling again attempted to join the RCAF as a pilot and again was rejected. This refusal caused him to join the crew of a merchant ship and cross the submarine-infested Atlantic in order to enlist in the Royal Air Force (RAF) in England. Again he was refused, this time for lack of proper documents. He promptly returned to Canada, secured the required papers, and within a week sailed back to England, where he was finally accepted for pilot training by the RAF.

That’s the type of person we need to navigate the current CFRG minefield.

McG

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
If CCA thinks it's important enough, it's one of those things that won't be as expensive as buying more vehicles, etc so it may fall under "minor cap project" (I have no idea - I'm just guessing) and could be pushed along faster.
It is the same pool of people who form the PD & PM staffs for minor and major capital projects. What operational capability are we ready to delay in order to have a uniform that most people wear 1 to 3 times a year?

rmc_wannabe

Army.ca Veteran
Subscriber
Reaction score
It is the same pool of people who form the PD & PM staffs for minor and major capital projects. What operational capability are we ready to delay in order to have a uniform that most people wear 1 to 3 times a year?
The ones we have been told are awaiting a new Defence White Paper for or the ones we are waiting for the Procurement system to be resolved first?

PBO/PMO/TBS hell even the MND have been clear that the new capabilities can has been booted down the road. At least for most Army projects.

If we're within our Arcs to unfuck dress uniforms, so be it.

McG

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
The ones we have been told are awaiting a new Defence White Paper for or the ones we are waiting for the Procurement system to be resolved first?

PBO/PMO/TBS hell even the MND have been clear that the new capabilities can has been booted down the road. At least for most Army projects.

If we're within our Arcs to unfuck dress uniforms, so be it.
Most SSE promises are only reaching definition. We don’t need make work projects to keep PM and PD staffs busy while we wait for an SSE update. We need those people to work on and deliver the rather substantial investments that are already authorized.

rmc_wannabe

Army.ca Veteran
Subscriber
Reaction score
Ah I see now. Thanks for clarifying @McG and @dapaterson .

Perhaps it's the "easy win" some are looking for in procurement? Buttons and Bows are easier to deliver on than a GBAD or ATGM project? Like firing through DLN courses the last 2 months before PER season starts?

Reactions: ueo

dimsum

Army.ca Legend
Mentor
Reaction score
Like firing through DLN courses the last 2 months before PER season starts?
Who would do such a thing?

Star Wars Reaction GIF by The Great British Bake Off

WLSC

Reaction score
Depends who's driving the change.

If CCA thinks it's important enough, it's one of those things that won't be as expensive as buying more vehicles, etc so it may fall under "minor cap project" (I have no idea - I'm just guessing) and could be pushed along faster.
From what I heart, colour will be like the NZ army and yes, Sam Brown 🫣😁!

Kilted

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Wearing "garters" in a "working uniform" can be problematic. Way back in the last century when I was at the NDHQ MIR we would occasionally get Marines from the US Embassy. They were always impeccably turned out; never wrinkled, rumpled and the uniforms were tailored to fit form. On one occasion, a couple of them were in and they needed blood work taken. I asked them to roll up a sleeve so I could do the stab, but when one started to untie his shoes and the other unbuckle his belt, I naturally asked them "WTF ya doing". Their response was that their sleeves were too tight to roll up and they had to take their trousers off in order to take off the shirt. As they continued their impromptu strip (I closed the door to the lab), it revealed them both wearing garters that were attached to their shirts and socks (kept one down and the other up). They said that they usually got ready (dressed) for duty in pairs, not because they were "friendly" (not that there's anything wrong with that) but because their Gunny was very particular about uniforms.
I'm not sure those qualify as garters, at least not compared to the ones I'm issued.