• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

"Re-Royalization", "Re-Britification" and the Heritage Transformation

The RCN has its old rank titles and executive curl back. What should be the next step for the CF ra

• Nothing. The current rank system works, so leave it alone.

Votes: 128 55.9%
  • Complete return to the pre-unification ranks of the 50s and early 60s.

Votes: 47 20.5%
  • Complete return to post unification ranks of the 70s and early 80s.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Officers only return to the pre-unification ranks of the 50s and early 60s.

Votes: 9 3.9%
  • Copy the UK rank system - it is the prototype anyway.

Votes: 20 8.7%
  • Copy the US rank system - they are the new colonial master.

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • Create a whole new Canadian system.

• Lobby for standardized NATO rank insignia.

• Copy the French rank system - it is the other founding nation's turn

Votes: 2 0.9%

• Total voters

dimsum

Army.ca Legend
Mentor
Reaction score
The stable belt really only works with a two pocket combat shirt/tunic —like the British Army has and the CF trialled in the late 1980’s/early 1990’s (the old Mark 3 Combat Shirt). A four pocket untucked shirt is pretty incompatible with a garishly coloured belt.

Unless it’s supposed to be worn with 3B — but I don’t get the sense that thousands of cubicle dwellers are clamouring to show off their regimental/corps colour schemes.
Or....

and no, this would happen because Aircrew would laugh out loud

1663966313282.png

lenaitch

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
I wore a stable belt for years in the British Army.

It was about as practical as the Sam Browne belt, I would say, and a big step back should we try to adopt it.

Also, it isn't actually all that flattering for the 'BMI Challenged'.

View attachment 73748

Just sayin' ;)
Many (many, it appears) would breathe a sigh of relief.

Try doing police work in a Sam Browne and long tunic.

dimsum

Army.ca Legend
Mentor
Reaction score
Nop. Someone near the project comity. Will it go thru? 🤷🏼‍♂️
Depends who's driving the change.

If CCA thinks it's important enough, it's one of those things that won't be as expensive as buying more vehicles, etc so it may fall under "minor cap project" (I have no idea - I'm just guessing) and could be pushed along faster.

eliminator

Reaction score
I have heard that the 'sizing cut' of the DEUs has been adjusted slightly? That is, if you ordered a new replacement tunic (of the exact same size), it might not fit the same. Can anyone confirm this? All jokes about COVID weight gain/loss aside!

dimsum

Army.ca Legend
Mentor
Reaction score
I have heard that the 'sizing cut' of the DEUs has been adjusted slightly? That is, if you ordered a new replacement tunic (of the exact same size), it might not fit the same. Can anyone confirm this? All jokes about COVID weight gain/loss aside!
I hope so. Either way, tunics/pants/shirts should be tailored anyway.

Also, I'm surprised not more people know about stirrup-style shirt stays. I've been trying to convert as many people as possible to wearing them for DEU and Mess Kit shirts.

1664027353514.png

Good2Golf

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score
Indeed. I've been using them in mess kit for years! Introduced to me by a USAF colleague.
Mess kit for sure and often 3s, used them for 3B once, but I preferred a slight blouse of the short-sleeve shirt, so not with 3B after that.

RangerRay

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score

Also, I'm surprised not more people know about stirrup-style shirt stays. I've been trying to convert as many people as possible to wearing them for DEU and Mess Kit shirts.

View attachment 73757
How does that work for a uniform that you need to be a little more active in?

Blackadder1916

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score

View attachment 73757
How does that work for a uniform that you need to be a little more active in?

Wearing "garters" in a "working uniform" can be problematic. Way back in the last century when I was at the NDHQ MIR we would occasionally get Marines from the US Embassy. They were always impeccably turned out; never wrinkled, rumpled and the uniforms were tailored to fit form. On one occasion, a couple of them were in and they needed blood work taken. I asked them to roll up a sleeve so I could do the stab, but when one started to untie his shoes and the other unbuckle his belt, I naturally asked them "WTF ya doing". Their response was that their sleeves were too tight to roll up and they had to take their trousers off in order to take off the shirt. As they continued their impromptu strip (I closed the door to the lab), it revealed them both wearing garters that were attached to their shirts and socks (kept one down and the other up). They said that they usually got ready (dressed) for duty in pairs, not because they were "friendly" (not that there's anything wrong with that) but because their Gunny was very particular about uniforms.

Edward Campbell

Army.ca Myth
Subscriber
Donor
Mentor
Reaction score
It's a big call to say that people would wear them properly.

Also, the RCAF would propose switching headdress so they didn't look like the Army.

...when are we doing this again? Tomorrow? :sneaky:
Tomorrow's too soon ... we'll need a few meetings of old farts and honorary colonels and so in the main bar of the officers' mess to decide who gets what colour of cap, what colours of flaps and inserts and piping and so on ... it's all very important, morale boosting stuff.

As to the RCAF ... Middlemiss_Beurling.jpeg... these were flippin' pilots! Look at those crushed caps.