• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

RCD 'C' SQN. - How is this possible???

reccecrewman

Inactive
Reaction score
For the past half year or so, there's been much talk about the RCD standing up C Squadron again.  On paper, thats great - we'll have A, B, C & D Sqn's plus HQ & RHQ.  I'm seeking out those who have the knowledge or the wisdom to explain how this is going to work.  When we came back from the BTE in Wainwright in '03, we left behind our tanks  :crybaby: and received nothing to have B Squadron mounted.  As it currently stands, we don't even have enough Coyote's to equip 2 full Squadrons (Let alone the 3 we currently have) and now C Squadron will be stood up.  As well, we don't have the manpower to fill all the positions in the Squadrons we currently have (Story of every combat arm unit in the CF) Then you take into consideration all the Sergeants, Warrants & MWO's who will be retiring shortly and I'm left wondering how this will come to fruition.  Any thoughts or insights on this?

Didn't your CO tell you?

The guys over at DRDC discovered this magical bean; you throw it into the ground on an army base (preferrably either Wainwright or Gagetown), and 14 months later fully trained Cpl's can be picked off of the vine (equipped too!).

If you let them age a little longer you'll get sergeants, and evey once in a while if you are really good with it, a Warrant.

They still haven't figured out that Officer bean though... it's a strange one it is....

Probably go to the 'school' and cut in half again and say;
"Vuoilla...You're all C Sqn RCD's again..."

Well, in the distant past you could sow the ground with dragon's teeth and create a pretty frightful army. There was this small problem, however..............

Jason made known his message to the Colchian king, AEetes, who consented to give up the golden fleece if Jason would yoke to the plough two fire-breathing bulls with brazen feet, and sow the teeth of the dragon which Cadmus had slain, and from which it was well known that a crop of armed men would spring up, who would turn their weapons against their producer.

You'll probably see it come into being as a "Depot Sqn" or "Training Sqn" where all the FNGs will be posted into to get some Armour Crses that they can become qualified on before going to one of the "Operational" Squadrons.  You'll see them going there to get a second PCF, their D&M Crses on 'all' the vehicles in the Regiment (I had Coyote drivers who could only drive a Coyote, not an Iltis, LSVW, ML or even fewer on the HL, and Gunners who couldn't drive at all.), and also all the Gnry Crses, so that they can be employed in any Troop or Sqn in the Regt. 

It gives us time to elect a Government who will buy us enough equipment to equip the Army...  ;D

Then when we get the equipment, we will have people to man it.  ;D

George Wallace said:
You'll probably see it come into being as a "Depot Sqn" or "Training Sqn" where all the FNGs will be posted into to get some Armour Crses that they can become qualified on before going to one of the "Operational" Squadrons.   You'll see them going there to get a second PCF, their D&M Crses on 'all' the vehicles in the Regiment (I had Coyote drivers who could only drive a Coyote, not an Iltis, LSVW, ML or even fewer on the HL, and Gunners who couldn't drive at all.), and also all the Gnry Crses, so that they can be employed in any Troop or Sqn in the Regt.  

It gives us time to elect a Government who will buy us enough equipment to equip the Army...   ;D

Then when we get the equipment, we will have people to man it.    ;D

I think those FNG's you refer to will be crusty old CSM's and RSM's by the time we elect a government willing to pony up money for the CF

Reccecrewman,

All good questions.

I can't speak to the details, since we were just hearing of this as I was leaving the Regt (I was looking for office and hangar space).  The manning side will be a challenge, and the 5,000 new soldiers will probably need to happen for this get off the ground.  The leadership side will also be a challenge, but at least we can promote Cpls, MCpls, Sgts and WOs.  In my opinion we have pretty good depth there (there were always more deserving Cpls than available promotions to MCpl).  When I came to the Regt as a Tp Ldr we had one tank sqn, one recce sqn and two Cougar sqns, so we would pretty much be going back to where we were in 1997 to 1999.

The equipment side will, of course, be an issue.  Its tough being a crew or troop without vehicles (although it solves the problem of hangar space...).  I do not have an answer to that, except that it raises the opportunity to do some outstanding PT and dismounted recce training.

I guess the glass is half full for me!

Obviously, one of the battalions of the RCR will be disbanded; they only needed one during the Big One so three today is just a luxury considering we haven't had to kill any Krauts in about 3 generations or so.  Since there are no vehicles, they don't even have to remuster them.  Voila.  "C" Squadron (Light Infantry), Royal Canadian Dragoons. Will fit in perfectly with the new task force concept; you'll have "A" Squadron (G-Wagen Fire Support), "B" Squadron (Coyote Recce), "C" Sqn (Light Infantry), "D" Squadron (Dismounted engineers), with service and support elements in Administration Squadron.  Looks great on paper; see the last Maple Leaf for full details.

Fellas
There is no problem filling it. The promotions are coming and there is about 4 courses going through the schools soon. I'm heading back next yr. Well I hope.

Recce41 said:
Fellas
There is no problem filling it. The promotions are coming and there is about 4 courses going through the schools soon. I'm heading back next yr. Well I hope.
This is such depressing news to me.

Sub-units without vehicles is a reality for every cbt arm under whole fleet managment.

Sub-units without vehicles is a reality for every cbt arm under whole fleet managment.

I can understand that, however, it is still a depressing sight to take a look around the Regimental lines and see vast open space, where vehicles were parked just a couple of years ago.  We have an ex coming up for the last 2 weeks of November and HQ Sqn. can't deploy because they don't have enough vehicles.  Transport has 2 trucks. 2 TRUCKS!!!! All their vehicles have been VMO'd out.  Sqn. echelons consist of 1 HL (If their lucky), and 2 ML's.......... Thats sad.  I understand the Army is in a huge transformation stage and all I really have a view of is what's happening in my Regiment, but J.C, an Armoured Regiment that has to rotate it's vehicles around the Regiment.......  All these young new soldiers coming into the Unit have no concept of pride in ownership. "Yea, it's got a bunch of faults, but it ain't gonna be MY problem next week cause this vehicle's going to B Sqn......"  ::)

Well!   In someone's mind in Disneyland on the Rideau, it is much better for them to remain idle in Montreal as a 'Ready Force' to deploy, or to sit idle in Wainwright until there is use for them on another BTE.    ::)

The above is all speculation, but it seems to be the route we are taking, rather than purchasing more kit.

The upside to pre-positioning in Montreal is that when the "big honking ship" comes off the slipway at Davie in 12 years time it's just a quick scoot up the river to load 'em on.  ;)

Curses, yet another brililan plan foiled by someone pointing out the obvious!

God I hope they don't stand-up "C" Sqn again. Geez...I have two wall decorations and a nice casing for standing "C Force" down twice in the past.

In twelve years with global warming and budget cuts you might see "C" squadron mounted on horseback!  :rofl:

Well Fellas
There is no differance between Petawawa and Gagetown. We have 52 Coyotes and they go courses to course, driver to driver. There is approx 700-800 new DP1s,trained,  in training, or to be trained. That makes up about the bulk of replacments, and standing up of the new Sqns.
:tank: :evil:

Recce 41

Not that it really matters but where are you getting you numbers?  I got 174 Armour Dp1s in the system and only 78 crewman recruited this year with a 351 pers goal for the fiscal year.

Back