• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Rank

• Thread starter Thread starter stivic923
  • Start date Start date
S

stivic923

A gots a new question for you guys.....

How long do you stay a private before you move up in rank?
Does it depend on your performance or soemthing of that sort?

for reserves it is (correct me if I‘m wrong).
2 years and a ql4=cpl
4 years and JLNCO and another leadership course(forgot name)= master corpral.
thats pretty much all I remember

In the Regs its 4 yrs to be a Cpl. I think this should not be a give me rank though.

For reserves it is indeed 2 years plus a ql4, but when does that 2 years start...
From being sworn in, or from getting your hook?

Is it the same for regular forces as it is for reserves?
what is a hook?

Up untill you get your ql3 you are a private untrained. You have no chevron, once you get your ql3 you get your "hook" which is your chevrons and your proper cap badge. Again correct me if I‘m wrong.

In the reserves you no longer need to be Ql4 qualified to become a corporal. You will now need to take that Platoon Support Weapons Qualification to become a corporal though but i do not think it is considered a "ql4".
It gives you some hands on training with the C6, 60mm mortar, pistol and eryx.

I think corporal and captian alike are pretty much "give me‘ ranks.

Is that just for infantry, or for all trades? (including CSS)

I‘ve heard a few people comment on the bennifits on having everyone, not just infantry trained in platoon support weapons but considering out budget and over crowded training area i can‘t really see it as being a smart thing to do, not exactly sure if it is or not though.

In my reg force neck of the woods a pte gets his ‘hook‘ after 30 months service and his cpls after 48 months.

In the Res soldiers get promoted faster. The army as to keep them happy. I have seen Snr NCOs that have failed a 6A/6B and get promoted just to fill the gap. This is the problem I have when Res go on tour and keep their rank.
On my last tour, a RES Sgt from the 1st Hussars could no cut it as a Ptl commander. But they made aspot for him. Because he signed a contract. If that was a Reg Force Sgt, he would have been infront of the RSM and demoted and off tour. I know of two Reg Sgts that have endded up Cpls.
Also at the RCR leadership school, they put through a 9 month Gunner, and it was promoted to MCpl. 9 F678ing months. In the Regs most don‘t even finish their first PCF course.

I think it‘s safe to say most reg force sgt‘s have been overseas as a private or corporal. I don‘t think a reserve soldier should go on a tour overseas in a command role unless they have previous experience over there. If not previous experience then they would atleast be a senior Mcpl or sgt and not someone whos taken their JLC (plq) the summer after their QL3.

I know thats not going to happen of course but it‘s just a thought.

Does anyone know what the promotion incentive for cadets is ? As far as i know they knock some time off before you get your corporal promotion.

I read a post in here somewhere and it states that people are sent over seas on deployment frsh out of training..this true? :crybaby:

521 aurora: there is no promotion incentive for cadets. You have to wait the same time as everyone else.

Back