• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Questions regarding future enrollment as Aerospace Engineering Officer

AirPeaches

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi all,

I posted a similar question in the Recruiter-only section, so apologies if this violates a forum rule. That thread just doesn't seem as active and while I'm waiting for an "official" response, maybe I can obtain some "unofficial" advice. I've read through as much as I can and have done some research but I still feel like I have some unanswered questions.

So as posted in the other thread:
Currently I'm a first year engineering student at the University of Manitoba, and as a potential career option (upon graduation), I was considering joining the Canadian Forces through Direct Entry as (hopefully) an Aerospace Engineering Officer. I have some questions, regarding not so much the position, but how to better my chances at getting in. I am possibly considering applying to the reserves in my final year or 2nd last year (unless it complicates my path to full service in my desired trade/position).

1) In the experience of past/current officers, does GPA have any bearing, ie does it make a candidate/applicant more competitive? (I am extremely aware academic grades don't always mean much in the real world and the Forces but I did have the highest admission average of 2014 into my university, if that accounts for anything- best thing that came out of that is a paid for education).

2) Does the military consider all forms of employment prior to joining? Reason I ask, I will be interning this summer with my provincial Hydro company (MB Hydro) and have hopes at interning with Boeing Aerospace before graduating. Would this work experience increase my chances at getting accepted and more so being offered my position of choice?

3) Assuming I pass the academic and medical/physical requirements, what else would make a candidate for this position competitive? ie What can I do aside from work experience and physical training, that will increase my odds of getting my position of choice? Of course this is dependent upon openings for this position at the time, but in general, what would make an ideal candidate in terms of personal experience/skillsets for this position? Really how much does that resume and university "extracurriculars" account for?

4) When should/could I apply for full time service? It seems that the application process can be quite long sometimes. If I was graduating in April 2019, could/should I apply for this full time position in September 2018? Or would I have to wait until my studies are entirely finished?

Again, I feel like I've broken a rule posting in two separate threads, I don't mean to be impatient but the other thread doesn't seem very active right now.( MODERATOR: if this broke a rule please delete the post in the OTHER forum.)

Thank you!

Currently I'm a first year engineering student at the University of Manitoba, and as a potential career option (upon graduation), I was considering joining the Canadian Forces through Direct Entry as (hopefully) an Aerospace Engineering Officer. I have some questions, regarding not so much the position, but how to better my chances at getting in. I am possibly considering applying to the reserves in my final year or 2nd last year (unless it complicates my path to full service in my desired trade/position).

1) In the experience of past/current officers, does GPA have any bearing, ie does it make a candidate/applicant more competitive? (I am extremely aware academic grades don't always mean much in the real world and the Forces but I did have the highest admission average of 2014 into my university, if that accounts for anything- best thing that came out of that is a paid for education).

- No big surprise, but yes - your grades do matter.  They are not the only thing considered, but they are a part.  That being said lots of honours students aren't the best fit to the military lifestyle - which is why they evaluate much more then purely academic success.

2) Does the military consider all forms of employment prior to joining? Reason I ask, I will be interning this summer with my provincial Hydro company (MB Hydro) and have hopes at interning with Boeing Aerospace before graduating. Would this work experience increase my chances at getting accepted and more so being offered my position of choice?

- Yes, they consider your previous employment, but it may or may not help that your previous experiences are in a specific field of work ( Better left to a recruiter to answer).  Can't hurt for other civilian opportunities should the military option not work out/seem appealing in the long run.

3) Assuming I pass the academic and medical/physical requirements, what else would make a candidate for this position competitive? ie What can I do aside from work experience and physical training, that will increase my odds of getting my position of choice? Of course this is dependent upon openings for this position at the time, but in general, what would make an ideal candidate in terms of personal experience/skillsets for this position? Really how much does that resume and university "extracurriculars" account for?

- Can't comment specifically on what they are looking for from AERE applicants, but most of the general comments for Officer/NCM enrollment have been covered extensively in these forums.  Know your interested career inside and out (to the best of your ability), and have a history that demonstrates leadership, initiative, and willingness to work with others.  Take a look at forces.ca and these forums for most of the specifics.  There is no magic "perfect" applicant, yet many succeed on being enrolled.  You'll want to check the details again in 2018 as things may have changed by then.

As far as the reserve option, IMO it's not a bad one - just keep in mind that your enrollment in the reserves may or may not complicate your eventual plan of going Regular Force.  Your mileage will vary depending on what entry plan you choose (for the reserves), if an Occupational Transfer is involved, and how long the Component Transfer takes.  I wouldn't assume it would be a fast track.

4) When should/could I apply for full time service? It seems that the application process can be quite long sometimes. If I was graduating in April 2019, could/should I apply for this full time position in September 2018? Or would I have to wait until my studies are entirely finished?

- Will depend on which path you want to take.  Sounds like DEO is how you want to go, so you are free to apply once you enter your final year of study.  You may be conditionally accepted, but will finish your studies before you are formally accepted.  The other option would be to take the RMC route and apply to it before your final year of studies, if you'd rather go that route as well.

Most of your questions have already been asked several times, in several different ways, by several different people - Take a peek around the forum and search for bit.  You'll be surprised how much information is already here.

Good luck!

As a side note, don't double post. Some folks reeealy don't like that around here!

Ayrsayle said:

- No big surprise, but yes - your grades do matter.  They are not the only thing considered, but they are a part.  That being said lots of honours students aren't the best fit to the military lifestyle - which is why they evaluate much more then purely academic success.

- Yes, they consider your previous employment, but it may or may not help that your previous experiences are in a specific field of work ( Better left to a recruiter to answer).  Can't hurt for other civilian opportunities should the military option not work out/seem appealing in the long run.

- Can't comment specifically on what they are looking for from AERE applicants, but most of the general comments for Officer/NCM enrollment have been covered extensively in these forums.  Know your interested career inside and out (to the best of your ability), and have a history that demonstrates leadership, initiative, and willingness to work with others.  Take a look at forces.ca and these forums for most of the specifics.  There is no magic "perfect" applicant, yet many succeed on being enrolled.  You'll want to check the details again in 2018 as things may have changed by then.

As far as the reserve option, IMO it's not a bad one - just keep in mind that your enrollment in the reserves may or may not complicate your eventual plan of going Regular Force.  Your mileage will vary depending on what entry plan you choose (for the reserves), if an Occupational Transfer is involved, and how long the Component Transfer takes.  I wouldn't assume it would be a fast track.

- Will depend on which path you want to take.  Sounds like DEO is how you want to go, so you are free to apply once you enter your final year of study.  You may be conditionally accepted, but will finish your studies before you are formally accepted.  The other option would be to take the RMC route and apply to it before your final year of studies, if you'd rather go that route as well.

Most of your questions have already been asked several times, in several different ways, by several different people - Take a peek around the forum and search for bit.  You'll be surprised how much information is already here.

Good luck!

Perhaps I should have searched a bit more, but sometimes there are questions that I *think* I may know the answer to but I'm not totally sure. Either way thanks, this was helpful.

ShadyBrah said:
As a side note, don't double post. Some folks reeealy don't like that around here!

I'm aware of this know and had I known before it wouldn't have happened. As I said, the other thread doesn't seem very active right now so I posted here. I'll be sure to not let it happen again. :)

Most military members are either still on holidays or are just getting off them - thus the lack of "activity" in the CAF recruiter thread. 

Back