• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

questions about officers and ncms

StevePoole

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am 21 years old and in my last year of university. I have a strong interest in applying to the forces as an infantry soldier. I understand that having a recognizable degree enables you to apply as an officer. I have big aspirations into going as far as I can in the army and would love to specialize into certain units. My question is that do officers have the same opportunity to specialize in certain areas such as snipers and CSOR, as that of an NCM. These areas are of high interest to me and are goals I would like to accomplish. I realize it is a tough road to get there but I am willing to put in the effort. In any case, I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on this matter, and if the right thing to do is apply as an NCM or an Officer in order to fulfill my goal.

Thanks,
Steve

Officers have the opportunity to try and become snipers and members of CSOR just as any NCM does.  One thing you need to keep in mind though is that an officer deals with mainly administrative things on a day to day basis.  Don't be shocked if every now and then while the men are out doing things you're sitting in front of a computer.

If you are joining the military with pretty much the main goal of getting into CSOR one thing to keep in mind is that the number of officer positions will be substantially less than the positions available to NCM's.  Obviously I don't know exact makeups etc. that CSOR has, nor would I post it here if I did.  But if you think about it from an infantry perspective, you have a platoon of roughly 30 guys with only one officer.  I'm not going to tell you what to do with your career...but if CSOR is your main goal......well there are more NCM's than officers.

This is a decision you have to make yourself.....I'm just giving you some food for thought.

thanks alot for both your replies. I was able to find out valuable info in both.

RCDcpl said:
Officers have the opportunity to try and become snipers and members of CSOR just as any NCM does.  One thing you need to keep in mind though is that an officer deals with mainly administrative things on a day to day basis.  Don't be shocked if every now and then while the men are out doing things you're sitting in front of a computer.

If you are joining the military with pretty much the main goal of getting into CSOR one thing to keep in mind is that the number of officer positions will be substantially less than the positions available to NCM's.  Obviously I don't know exact makeups etc. that CSOR has, nor would I post it here if I did.  But if you think about it from an infantry perspective, you have a platoon of roughly 30 guys with only one officer.  I'm not going to tell you what to do with your career...but if CSOR is your main goal......well there are more NCM's than officers.

This is a decision you have to make yourself.....I'm just giving you some food for thought.

This really helped alot. An officer doesnt seem like what I would want to get out of a military career right off the bat. I think that starting as an NCM may pay of in the long run as there is always opportunity to apply as an officer when you are well into a career, when you hold a degree.

Back