• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Public Service shuffle: DM Jody Thomas out

brihard

Army.ca Legend
Mentor
Reaction score
Jody Thomas is out as DM DND; she’s to be a security and intelligence advisor to PMJT.

Bill Matthews is coming in as the new DM DND, from being DM Public Services and Procurement. Potentially an important and useful move.

Minister brings her DM with her. Will that help with culture change?

New PSPC DM is coming from ISED, so will have some familiarity with aspects of procurement (mostly the Canadian industrial parts). Also a new associate DM to DND who appears at first glance to be a foreign affairs type.

Jody Thomas is out as DM DND; she’s to be a security and intelligence advisor to PMJT.

Bill Matthews is coming in as the new DM DND, from being DM Public Services and Procurement. Potentially an important and useful move.

Ding Dong The Wicked Witch Is Dead GIF

Is it just me or do I see a lot of emphasis on National Security and Emergency Preparedness, Foreign Affairs, National Defence and Procurement?

An optimist might be inclined to see signs of stage setting for a policy shift towards the Five Eyes.

Defence and Energy and CSE buying Trade access.

Jody ThomasAdv Nat Sec & Int
Dan CostelloAdv For & Def Policy
Philip JenningsSr Adv PCO
Michael VandergriftDSec Cabinet - Plans
Jacqueline BogdenDSec Cabinet - Emergency
Graham FlackSec TB
Paul ThompsonDM PSP
Francis BilodeauADM ISED
Bill MatthewsDM ND
Stefanie BeckADM ND
Daniel RogersAssoc Chief CSE
John HannafordDM Nat Res
David MorrisonDM Intl Trade
Christopher MacLennanDM Intl Dev
Cynthia TermorshuizenADM For Affairs
Jean-Francois TremblayDM Emp Soc Dev
Mala KhannaADM Cdn Heritage
Paul Samson
ADM Ag Ag-Fd

Stefanie Beck "currently Deputy High Commissioner for Canada in the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, Global Affairs Canada,"

Is it just me or do I see a lot of emphasis on National Security and Emergency Preparedness, Foreign Affairs, National Defence and Procurement?

An optimist might be inclined to see signs of stage setting for a policy shift towards the Five Eyes.

Defence and Energy and CSE buying Trade access.

Jody ThomasAdv Nat Sec & Int
Dan CostelloAdv For & Def Policy
Philip JenningsSr Adv PCO
Michael VandergriftDSec Cabinet - Plans
Jacqueline BogdenDSec Cabinet - Emergency
Graham FlackSec TB
Paul ThompsonDM PSP
Francis BilodeauADM ISED
Bill MatthewsDM ND
Stefanie BeckADM ND
Daniel RogersAssoc Chief CSE
John HannafordDM Nat Res
David MorrisonDM Intl Trade
Christopher MacLennanDM Intl Dev
Cynthia TermorshuizenADM For Affairs
Jean-Francois TremblayDM Emp Soc Dev
Mala KhannaADM Cdn Heritage
Paul SamsonADM Ag Ag-Fd

Stefanie Beck "currently Deputy High Commissioner for Canada in the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, Global Affairs Canada,"
I'll believe when we actually see new pistols

Pedantic note: "ADM" is the abbreviation for Assistant Deputy Minister; Associate Deputy Ministers are more senior.
Remember the good old days when we had Assistant Associate Deputy Ministers.o_O

Pedantic note: "ADM" is the abbreviation for Assistant Deputy Minister; Associate Deputy Ministers are more senior.
Thanks

So in the list all of my "ADM"s are actually Associate Deputy Ministers. Does that imply an even greater amount of deck chair shuffling at high levels?

When you look at that list, the vast majority have Anglo-French last names and only 2 by the looks of it have non-European last names. The upper echelon of the Public Service looks to be heavily tilted to the 'old guard'.

When you look at that list, the vast majority have Anglo-French last names and only 2 by the looks of it have non-European last names. The upper echelon of the Public Service looks to be heavily tilted to the 'old guard'.
These people all have 30-40 years of experience, so need a while before the changes of the last 20 years really float up to the upper levels of management anywhere. Generational changes take generations to implement.

This sounds encouraging. Can those more familiar with Ms. Thomas confirm this?
Well this is a good thing -

"moved to the West Coast as the Business Manager of the Esquimalt Graving Dock in Victoria, British Columbia." She knows her way around a shipyard.
And this - "Jody currently holds a commission in the Navy (Naval Reserve)." - FYI - She was a diesel mechanic in the Naval Reserves.

. . . The upper echelon of the Public Service looks to be heavily tilted to the 'old guard'.

I guess that "old guard" means different things to different generations. While it would be common, decades ago, to find among a PS group that has a heavy external affairs bent a leaning to policy wonks who came from U of T and then Oxbridge, there is only one Rhodes Scholar in this batch (one of the two Oxford types). There is the expected smattering of offshore graduate education at LSE, Harvard, et al but the educational backgrounds are from across the country, often with degrees/experience beyond "policy". Yes, they may be overwhelmingly white, mostly male but this is a more diverse and experienced group than would be gathered 20 years ago.

I guess that "old guard" means different things to different generations. While it would be common, decades ago, to find among a PS group that has a heavy external affairs bent a leaning to policy wonks who came from U of T and then Oxbridge, there is only one Rhodes Scholar in this batch (one of the two Oxford types). There is the expected smattering of offshore graduate education at LSE, Harvard, et al but the educational backgrounds are from across the country, often with degrees/experience beyond "policy". Yes, they may be overwhelmingly white, mostly male but this is a more diverse and experienced group than would be gathered 20 years ago.
Hmmm, I wonder if I'd fit into your definition of the 'old guard' or this new lot, with a joint EMPA (European Master's in Public Administration) from the Katholieke Universiteit te Leuven in Belgium and Erasmus Universiteit Rotterdam's School of Management. My thesis was on the wonderfully useless topic of 'How Nationalism affected Government policy implementation within Canada and Belgium.'
I wonder from time to time what life would have been like if I wasn't talked out of joining the Foreign Service by someone I respected who was in the FS.

Hmmm, I wonder if I'd fit into your definition of the 'old guard' or this new lot, . . .
I wonder from time to time what life would have been like if I wasn't talked out of joining the Foreign Service by someone I respected who was in the FS.

Why, are you a senior public servant? And if so, of what vintage? That is mostly what delineates my definition of the PS "old guard", not so much as where you went to school. Twenty, thirty and more years ago, the profiles of the most senior PS (especially FS) were probably much more in the model of Lester Pearson, Mitchell Sharp, et al. But, nothing wrong with having some European educational experiences, I took some courses at Albert-Ludwigs-Universität Freiburg (about thirty years ago).

Why, are you a senior public servant? And if so, of what vintage? That is mostly what delineates my definition of the PS "old guard", not so much as where you went to school. Twenty, thirty and more years ago, the profiles of the most senior PS (especially FS) were probably much more in the model of Lester Pearson, Mitchell Sharp, et al. But, nothing wrong with having some European educational experiences, I took some courses at Albert-Ludwigs-Universität Freiburg (about thirty years ago).
I turned my back on all that when I stopped working in Prague in late 96 and moved to the US to start working on the Int'l side for a 800 pound gorilla in the Investment industry before eventually transferring to Toronto.

Back