• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Post ASC Vision Tests at DRDC

BullseyeTex

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi all,

I had a search through the forums but didn't find specifically what I was looking for.  I know what the acuity standards for pilot are and have passed them at V2 and am scheduled for ASC in a week.

I've heard they do some more colour blindness testing and take an image of your eyes at DRDC following ASC, but what I am really wondering is, do they do further acuity testing on candidates once they are there.  I was under the impression that once they approved your pre-ASC acuity and other results that they did not re-test these, however, I have since found out that they re-test hearing, so am wondering if they will re-test acuity as well.

Any experiences people may share with this, particularly other pilots in the CF that enrolled with a V2 vision level, would be much appreciated.

Thanks

At my session they did not re-test acuity, although we were presented with a list of what they were going to do and it was on there.  There were a few things on the list that didn't get done, in fact.  Your idea of the eye tests is pretty much what happened, plus a test for brightness contrast.

I'm not a V2 but did have laser surgery.  There were two flight surgeons doing the final examinations and mine had no qualms about signing me off.  The other FS gave the other laser sugery guys (two others) the third degree before signing them off, but he did sign them off without further testing.

The most intense item (which is to say thorough) was lung capacity.  Vision was of the least concern, I'd say.  It really probably depends who's working the day you do your medical, but I would say don't worry about it if there were no problems at the local level.  I got wound up about it but it was really pretty anticlimactic.

Thanks a million Melbatoast.  Hopefully I don't get a stickler for forms. 

I see you're a Victorian also?

Melbatoast said:
At my session they did not re-test acuity, although we were presented with a list of what they were going to do and it was on there.  There were a few things on the list that didn't get done, in fact.  Your idea of the eye tests is pretty much what happened, plus a test for brightness contrast.

I'm not a V2 but did have laser surgery.  There were two flight surgeons doing the final examinations and mine had no qualms about signing me off.  The other FS gave the other laser sugery guys (two others) the third degree before signing them off, but he did sign them off without further testing.

The most intense item (which is to say thorough) was lung capacity.  Vision was of the least concern, I'd say.  It really probably depends who's working the day you do your medical, but I would say don't worry about it if there were no problems at the local level.  I got wound up about it but it was really pretty anticlimactic.

Back