• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Police raid Indian call-centres linked to 'CRA phone scam'

BeyondTheNow

Staff member
Directing Staff
Inactive
Mentor
Reaction score
Awesome. I’m sure many were starting to get really sick of the whole thing.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/national-cra-india-rcmp-scam-1.4883796

Over the past two weeks, Indian police have been bursting into suspected illegal call centres, arresting everyone in sight and seizing troves of equipment used to carry out phone fraud aimed at foreigners. Hundreds of Canadians are among the victims of the so-called "CRA scam," and their combined losses — from just two of the raided offices — are likely be at least in the hundreds of thousands of dollars...

...An RCMP officer based in India, in cooperation with the FBI, approached Indian authorities to act...

I generally don't pick up the phone if I don't know the number. The only time this would change is if I'm expecting a call (applying to a job).

runormal said:
I generally don't pick up the phone if I don't know the number. The only time this would change is if I'm expecting a call (applying to a job).

I think most, including myself, do the same. (Although I’ve found out with Rogers cell service that a number which has been blocked can still leave a vm...stupid. You won’t know anyone has called until you see a vm notification.) I received some of these calls here and there. As well, they were spoofing numbers and I received a call once from my “brother’s” number.

Anyway, the majority of those affected were people classified as “vulnerable persons.” Not all victims of the scam were in this classification, but the majority were.

Wow the first time I read this I thought the police raided an Indian Reserve. I’m thinking golly didn’t know there were call centers tucked away there.  There is a paid service by Jolly Roger telephone company. Look them up on YouTube you will laugh yourself silly.

Back