• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

OPERATIONAL DEPLOYMENT, PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS AND PROMOTION

geo

Army.ca Legend
Inactive
Reaction score
UNCLAS

CANFORGEN 142/06

SUBJ: OPERATIONAL DEPLOYMENT, PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS AND PROMOTION

1.  A major thrust of CF transformation has been emphasis on the conduct of operations as the focus of our existence as a military force.  To a growing number of individual members this has resulted in an increase to time spent in preparing for, conducting and decompressing from operations in active duty areas.  As a result, it has not been possible for many of these members to attend courses leading to professional qualifications required for progression within their military occupations

2.  At the same time, these members have proven themselves in operations and have acquired essential skills and experience that cannot be provided by formal courses.  It is these skills and experience that will allow the CF to continue to deploy to operational theatres around the world and to succeed once there.  They are therefore of value to the cf and deserving of recognition

3.  The cds has therefore directed that no CF member is to be disadvantaged during selection board or succession planning deliberations in either rank or employment because of the lack of professional qualification that the member was unable to obtain due to preparations for, service in or restricted movement during a six month re-integration period following a mission.  Promotion boards will be instructed by CMP/DGMC to ensure that scoring criteria employed by them reflect this direction

4.  In effect, members who normally would have been scheduled to attend career courses during pre-deployment training, deployment or re-integration will be awarded appropriate credit by promotion boards in recognition of the unique skills and experience that they possess.  In succession planning for appointments, these individuals will also be considered, unless there is substantive evidence to the contrary, to be suitable for promotion and for employment at the next rank level despite the absence of a formal qualification. Formal qualifications should be upgraded as soon as practicable after the re-integration period and career managers will work closely with affected members and their chains of command to ensure priority loading of these individuals on career courses

5.  In their roles as board secretaries, career managers will work
With the chain of command to ensure that any CF member under consideration by a board who falls into this category is so
Identified to the board for application of this policy

About time that staying home for a couple months after a tour wasn't detrimental for your career.

I remember when they would pull guys off tour for their career courses.  Good to see some recognition for OJT so to speak.  I think that the experience and knowledge picked up operationally can't be beat.

Hopefully, it will also help bring theatre lessons learned into the the school scenario and instructional enviroment.

A field promotion was always a good judge of how a soldier handles him/herself. Valuable lessons are learned from active duty, something that could never be duplicated in the classroom.

Does the CF do an annual evaluation on each member  and after being deployed? Is this where they would pull the information from when being considered by the boards?

recceguy said:
Hopefully, it will also help bring theatre lessons learned into the the school scenario and instructional enviroment.
indeed, and hopefully, it'll reduce the need for stupid "career courses" that don't actually teach anything, but the troops need in order to pass on vital skills. Telling a guy he can't teach subject "x" because he doesn't have course "y", when he happens to have practiced subject "x" for 6 - 9 months under fire, is just about the dumbest thing going.

you mean I might see the rank of MCpl sometime this century....Oh lord I don't know what to this about that. This also beat the WSC system which usually only worked in case of MCpl rank for those who were already qualified but were waiting for promotion before tour started.

Alls this means is if you merited high enough last year to get on a career course but weren't able to attend because you were either deployed, training for a deployment or just got back, then you wouldn't automatically drop.  This is the same as saying you can't drop if you are posted and we all know that that is not true.  It is all about whos in the room at merit board time, always has . 

paracowboy said:
indeed, and hopefully, it'll reduce the need for stupid "career courses" that don't actually teach anything, but the troops need in order to pass on vital skills. Telling a guy he can't teach subject "x" because he doesn't have course "y", when he happens to have practiced subject "x" for 6 - 9 months under fire, is just about the dumbest thing going.

It sure is - but I do not believe that we are mature enough as an institution to make that leap - yet.

The IT burden came about (IM not so HO) to make up for a lack of operational experience and relevant collective training.  We are doing the former in spades, and the latter is arguably improving dramatically - and so it is time for the IT burden to be lessened somewhat.

Then again, what do I know?

Dave

HitorMiss said:
you mean I might see the rank of MCpl sometime this century....

Not likely, but there is always hope.

I never liked the WSE system...if you were good enough to give you rank and responsibility, then it should be permanent if you do well.

I agree AM if you do good job why shouldn't we continue to be acting/lacking till such time as that person has time to do the course. I havent and so I'm 2 years behind the promotion zone and peole who were privates last week are now senior to me because I have been busy and they were the only ones kicking around the Rifle comapnies. I think being able to acting/lacking in the Cbt arms for those of us in that situation might be a great idea.

I always hated that WSE crap.  Gives the impression of "you're good enough til someone with a course comes along, then you're gone".  A bit of a kick in the nutz to troops, IMHO.

Kat Stevens said:
I always hated that WSE crap.  Gives the impression of "you're good enough til someone with a course comes along, then you're gone".  A bit of a kick in the nutz to troops, IMHO.

Always understood that one had to be qualified to be WSEd.  Not to be confused with Acting Lacking.

we'll have to see if this is of any help.... or same old, same old.................

Spring_bok said:
Always understood that one had to be qualified to be WSEd.  Not to be confused with Acting Lacking.

Alrighty then, how about "you'll do until someone we like more comes along".  Better?

Kat Stevens said:
Alrighty then, how about "you'll do until someone we like more comes along".  Better?

Not really, a wse guy is usually someone higher likes.  This gives them ammo to get him merited higher.  If they didn't like the guy the wouldn't WSE him they would just make him do the job at his present rank.

Generally, it is preferred to WSE someone who will achieve substantive rank before the WSE (which is always situation specific) expires

I've seen plenty of guys WSEd for a tour, return to unit and de-WSEd (my word, pat pend), never to see a promotion, hence my dislike for it.  It just always seemed unnecessary, why does a guy need to be a pretend rank overseas, but everyone back in the land of the big PX is expected to be able to do the job of the guy above him?  I'm probably wrong.....

Back