• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

On your posting move?

Redneck052

Inactive
Reaction score
On your posting move, if you decide to travel part away through the US.  Does IRP cover it, all, or part of it?  How does it affect the cost of hotels?  Obviously if it not "out of the way", but rather another means of getting across, like going under the lakes.

I know the tolls aren't covered.  Any other hints? Words of advice?

I have a friend that is going from Comox to Gagetown, and is thinking of doing part of his travel through the US.  From Calgary, N. Dakota,  Michigan, New york State, Maine, to New Brunswick.  It takes several hundred km's off the trip, and keeps his family out of some of the little shit holes, and middle of now where places.  ... and more things to see.

Hope to hear from all you wise men/gals out there!

Redneck052 said:
On your posting move, if you decide to travel part away through the US.  Does IRP cover it, all, or part of it?  How does it affect the cost of hotels?  Obviously if it not "out of the way", but rather another means of getting across, like going under the lakes.

I know the tolls aren't covered.  Any other hints? Words of advice?

I have a friend that is going from Comox to Gagetown, and is thinking of doing part of his travel through the US.  From Calgary, N. Dakota,  Michigan, New york State, Maine, to New Brunswick.  It takes several hundred km's off the trip, and keeps his family out of some of the little crap holes, and middle of now where places.   ... and more things to see.

You are allowed to go through the states for a move. The only caveat is that you do not get anything extra financial wise to cover exchange rates.  You also do not get allocated any extra time for travel.

Redneck052 said:
On your posting move, if you decide to travel part away through the US.  Does IRP cover it, all, or part of it? 
The distance of your move is taken off a chart.  It doe not matter what highway you drive to get from point A to point B, you will only be paid the milage according to the Distances recorded on that Chart.  

Redneck052 said:
How does it affect the cost of hotels? 
You are given an allowance for each day of travel.  If you spend less on a hotel and meals, no problem; you have a few extra bucks in your claim.  If you spend more on your hotel and meals, it comes out of your pocket.

Redneck052 said:
Obviously if it not "out of the way", but rather another means of getting across, like going under the lakes.
N/A

Redneck052 said:
I know the tolls aren't covered. 
If there are areas that are clearly stated in the movement orders, where there are tolls, you will be able to claim them.  If you go a different, longer, or scenic route and have to pay tolls, they most likely will not be covered.  For instance if you were Posted to PEI or Newfoundland, you would have to pay a Toll or Ferry fee.  In those cases they would be covered.

Redneck052 said:
Any other hints? Words of advice?
Visit your IRP office and get the most current advice, and don't ask on a Public Forum for this kind of advice.  The advice you get could be wrong or not current.

Redneck052 said:
I have a friend that is going from Comox to Gagetown, and is thinking of doing part of his travel through the US.  From Calgary, N. Dakota,  Michigan, New york State, Maine, to New Brunswick.  It takes several hundred km's off the trip, and keeps his family out of some of the little shit holes, and middle of now where places.   ... and more things to see.

Your friend will be covered for the milage as stated in the book.  If he wants he can take a slow boat to China, drive through China, the Soviet Union, Europe and the UK and get on another boat to Halifax and then drive to Gagetown.  He will only get paid for the milage from Comox to Gagetown, the shortest route, according to the book.   ;D

Back