• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

old cadet uniforms vs. new ones

• Thread starter Thread starter TG1 GUNNER
  • Start date Start date

why do you think they changed it

• budget cuts

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • dident like the way they looked

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • wanted to save money

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • other

Votes: 9 40.9%
  • all of the above

Votes: 6 27.3%

• Total voters
T

TG1 GUNNER

My dad was in cadets and his mom has pics of him with these huge badges,like service badge its like the rank badge up side down but little smaller,and back when my dad was a cadet they were able to become officers while still under the age of 19.why the big change. :cdn:

I don't like the new uniforms they have now...they get too shiny when you iron them lol.  My ascot is really bad for that too...

Why does it matter? Unless I'm mistaken, all three cadets services wore a green uniform until the mid 90's. That was changed back to green black and blue for the army, sea and AIR cadets to help preserve a sense of tradition.
Oh, and we can become CIC officers at the age of 18...
As to the fabric issue, I agree, the new stuff isn't much by comparision. However we can't change it back so suck it up buttercup!!

SavSC2004 said:
I don't like the new uniforms they have now...they get too shiny when you iron them lol.   My ascot is really bad for that too...

That means you're doing it wrong. Get a piece of muslin, place it over the uniform, then iron the muslin.

Thanks for the tip...I'll try that next time.
I've just been using a wet facecloth but it still doesn't really help.

Its the change of the times. :dontpanic:  I can still remember pics of the old battle dress uniforms as a cadet they looked kinda cool but must be warm in the summer months.

When i joined Cadets I was issued a green battle dress uniform air cadets had a blue one yes very hot in summer.hash marks upsidedown chevrons on sleeve 1 per year.

SavSC2004 said:
I don't like the new uniforms they have now...they get too shiny when you iron them lol. My ascot is really bad for that too...

When I was in Army Cadets my friend always had the shiny problem so I told him how to fix that issue. When ironing put a paperbag under the part of uniform that you are ironing i.e the back of your tunique etc. I have also used this method I hope it works for you. :salute:

primer said:
Its the change of the times. :dontpanic:   I can still remember pics of the old battle dress uniforms as a cadet they looked kinda cool but must be warm in the summer months.

We didn't wear them at summer camp. We wore Bush pants (Feild Service Olive Drab  FSOD for short) and Kkaki shorts with Hosetops and putties, Shirts were worn with the sleeves rolled up.All of it highly pressed,Sharp creases and boots glistening!! :warstory:

Although I was never in Cadets, I can remember so vividly at the Regina Armouries, the old khaki wollen battle dress for Army, blue for Air, and the traditionall Navy uniform. All types of clothing which was worn in WW2.

Ya, those were the days of pollishing brass, and spit shines, and that was not that long ago (c.1979).
Disicipline, rifle drill (with the ole No.7) or the Cooey in .22.

Regards,

Wes

My Uncle was an Army cadet back in the 70's, and he says he likes the newer uniforms waaay better. He thinks that they look more professional, and that they aren't as itchy or rough as they used to be. He also thinks that our boots are harder to poilsh though, because theres used to come with a patent leather shine on them, and they would just have to keep it up. I like the new uniforms, because they are easy to iron, and my creases stay longer with the thicker pants.

Caroline

Yeah I must say...I like the look of the new ones better... although...I wont be having to iron pants or polish much soon eh caroline?

When I first joined we had the old material, great stuff, wouldn't burn, woulddn't ever get shinney, I loved that stuff! Granted, it was switched to the new stuff which is a POS, however we can't do anything, too bad...
Did I mention the old stuff held creases better too? And the only thing wrong was the front bit where the buttons are and the pocket flaps would curl a bit? Other than that excellent uniforms to say the least...

NOPE!! No more polishing for me!! But You may still have to iron your tunic and shirt though, Kyle..

Definately the shirt....then I have to find some way to get a doublet tunic.....

Caroline I agree with you that the newer pants do keep a crease longer, but are so much harder to get the crease into.  i had a pair of the older pants for two years.  My pride and joy next to my boots.  Because my pant crease was as sharp as our sergent major's.  But when I HAD to get the newer pants i have like the worst creases.  They're comming along nicely, but arn't like the old pants.  Also, I love the new tunics, but have noticed that the pockets also curl.

Iron the pocket flaps while their under a wet tea towel...It works for me.

Back