• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New Zealand mulls changing national flag

They've chosen the version to go up against keeping their current flag in a March '16 referendum.

new-zealand-flag-vote.jpg

CBC Link

At the Canadian National Exhibition this year, they had a display celebrating 50 years of the Canadian flag.

I was literally shocked to discover how strongly opposed almost half the country was to the adoption of the new flag.

For my entire life I have seen Canadians of all walks of life holding, waving and displaying the Maple Leaf with pride and enthusiasm. I had no idea that at one time people were disgusted at the idea of replacing the red ensign.

I hope when the Kiwis vote on adopting this flag that they take note of our example and the pride that a unique flag can bring.

:salute:

Lumber said:
At the Canadian National Exhibition this year, they had a display celebrating 50 years of the Canadian flag.

I was literally shocked to discover how strongly opposed almost half the country was to the adoption of the new flag.

For my entire life I have seen Canadians of all walks of life holding, waving and displaying the Maple Leaf with pride and enthusiasm. I had no idea that at one time people were disgusted at the idea of replacing the red ensign.

I hope when the Kiwis vote on adopting this flag that they take note of our example and the pride that a unique flag can bring.

:salute:

If you've seen the exhibition you should understand why Kiwis are not necessarily behind the new flag idea.  Same reasons we were not then.  How would you feel if the good idea fairies decided to change our flag once more?  We've grown to love the maple leaf since 65 and I am sure if it changes for NZ, they will in time love their new flag. 

jollyjacktar said:
If you've seen the exhibition you should understand why Kiwis are not necessarily behind the new flag idea.  Same reasons we were not then.  How would you feel if the good idea fairies decided to change our flag once more?  We've grown to love the maple leaf since 65 and I am sure if it changes for NZ, they will in time love their new flag.
Agreed that we, too, would b***h and moan about changing flags now (see Ribbons & Bows debate for an idea of the flavour), with resistance probably based on what we're used to and what we've built our identity around.  I think that was also true in the last flag fracas, but I also think the previous "identity building" factor was maybe more linked to historical connections to "the old country" at that time, the U.K.

milnews.ca said:
Agreed that we, too, would b***h and moan about changing flags now (see Ribbons & Bows debate for an idea of the flavour), with resistance probably based on what we're used to and what we've built our identity around.  I think that was also true in the last flag fracas, but I also think the previous "identity building" factor was maybe more linked to historical connections to "the old country" at that time, the U.K.

My dad flew a Red Ensign at home when it was the official flag and afterwards he kept one on the wall of his den.  The Red Ensign is the flag that the men and women of his generation fought and died under and why he did not want it to be changed to a silly leaf design.  I know I would not be happy to have the Maple Leaf replaced as it is the flag that I and my brothers and sisters have always served Canada under as was true for my dad and his Red Ensign.

And the results are in.  No change, the old flag still flies.

http://www.thestar.com/news/world/2016/03/24/new-zealand-flag-saga-is-over-historic-design-to-stay.html

New Zealand flag saga is over — historic design to stay
More than 2 million people voted in the ballot to decide whether to keep the British Union Jack on their flag or replace it with a silver fern.
By: Nick Perry Associated Press,    Published on Thu Mar 24 2016

Two million people in New Zealand vote to keep the current design of the country's flag.

WELLINGTON, NZ—New Zealand has voted to keep its current flag by a margin of 57 per cent to 43 per cent in a nationwide poll that ended Thursday.

More than 2 million people voted in the ballot to decide whether to keep the British Union Jack on their flag or replace it with a silver fern.

The current flag has been the national symbol since 1902. It was up against a new design that was winnowed from more than 10,000 entries submitted by the public.

Those advocating change argued the flag was a relic of the nation’s colonial past and too similar to Australia’s flag.

But the alternative design failed to gain the momentum it needed to win. While many liked it and people across the country began flying it from their homes and businesses, some considered it garish, a design better suited to a beach towel.

The vote had been orchestrated by Prime Minister John Key who was an eager proponent of change. But some saw the endeavour as an effort by him to create a legacy. Others were put off by the cost: 26 million New Zealand dollars ($17 million).

In the end, the vote represented a rare political defeat for Key, who has won three straight elections and led the country for eight years.

“Naturally I’m a little bit disappointed the flag didn’t change tonight,” Key told reporters.

He said, however, that every schoolchild had become involved in the debate, which had been good for the nation. He said he was proud to see so many flags flying over recent weeks and would now support the current flag even though it wasn’t his first choice.

Organizers said deciding the issue by popular vote represented a world first, with other countries changing flags by revolution, decree or legislation.

John Burrows, a law professor who led a panel who chose a shortlist of alternative flag designs, said the process had been challenging from the start and the panel was breaking new ground. He said one thing they learned was that everyone has different tastes and there’s no such thing as a perfect flag.

Opposition leader Andrew Little said the next time the flag issue will be discussed will likely be after Queen Elizabeth II dies, as part of broader debate about the nation’s constitution, including whether it should become a republic.

Voter turnout in the mail ballot was 67 per cent, with 2.1 million votes cast from the country’s 3.2 million registered voters. The official result will be announced next week.

Back