• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New RCAF Mess Kit Support wear

wamoine

Inactive
Reaction score
Does anybody know if the vest worn with the new mess kit is RCAF white for everyone, or Branch colour like the old cumberbun used to be? I'm health services and I'd like to know how to wear the thing adequatly.

Thanks

Back in the old days of three separate services (including the real RCAF), medical types in the air force wore collar dogs (one of the two RCAF branches to do so), including on the mess dress jacket.  If I recall correctly, (among others of a certain age) the current Col Cmdt of the RCMS, MGen Morisset used to wear winged caducei on his well aged RCAF mess dress, even though he didn't become a physician until after we had transitioned to a single service.  Though it may not solve your immediate dilemma, I would suggest that that the air force types of the RCMS lobby to return to the traditional means of identifying their medical affiliation.

CANAIRGEN 15/13 says white waistcoat is for wear by officers and CWOs, all others wear RCAF tartan cummerbund.  There is no mention of any other branch accoutrements.  How that actually shakes out when this makes it into the dress regs is anyone's guess, though.

Greetings, I am currently Air Force Cadet Officer and I have the Mess Dress. Does anyone know where I can just buy the gold striping for the pants standalone?

The first (and only) place that comes to my mind is Andre's tailors;  I purchased my mess kit thru them so they are the only ones I am familiar with.  I'd contact them to see if they can sell you what you're looking for.  However, if you have the old pattern/style mess kit, I am fairly certain the gold stripe on the pants is not authorized.

Not an official reference perhaps but...the last line in this link.  http://rcaf.museum/files/new_rcaf_mess_dress%20%282%29.pdf  No modifications will be made to the old mess dress.

http://www.andreitailors.com/canadian-military-uniforms/canadian-air-force-mess-dress-uniform/

Back