• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New Conservatives

Yes they are all Politicians, but their is a huge difference between the two of them.

Personally I‘d like to see Paul Martin do something for getting the military to where it should be. Come election time I cannot see myself voting for the Conservatives. Just too much like that group of people that starts with "N" .

That would be great if Paul Martin did that, and i guess he has in a verl small small way. but still isnt enough. In My Opinion I really feel that the conservatives are the only ones who will actually take a correct stand on the CF‘s and do what has to get done to be an effected allie, be able to fulfill comitments and bring our personal and equipment back up to Par.

Come election time I cannot see myself voting for the Conservatives. Just too much like that group of people that starts with "N" .
Wow, you are an idiot.

That remark shows that you have no comprehension of:

A) Canadian Politics
B) 20th Century German History

Find me a group of Conservative Party Members in uniforms roaming the streets and beating communists...until then, try and keep your comments on the plane of reality.

Ok, backup it seems I may have stepped on some toes already. First off that wasn‘t my intention. Secondly I didn‘t exactly mean it literally I know they don‘t have a great resemblance to Nazis. What I meant was I consider myself a little more left than right. And from Preston Manning and the ol Reform to Stephen Harper and the CA and now the Conservatives is just too far on the other side of the fence for my personal political flavour.

Originally posted by nULL:
Just a question, why would you vote for the conservatives? My theory has always been that Canadians don‘t mind paying taxes, as long as they see them being put to good use and not being wasted; heck, i lose tons off my paycheques, but i don‘t mind at all...especially when it comes time to having that ingrown toenail removed...
Either you haven‘t been paying attention to the news the last 10 years, or you are willing to act blind towards the transgressions of those of your own political bent. The Liberals have been robbing taxpayers blind since the day they took the Hill in their first term. And just think, Grand Mere and Groupe Action are just the ones that are so blatant that the Liberal‘s media pals couldn‘t simply ignore and have the story buried. Just think how much graft has been buried in Quebec alone that no one knows about over the last decade. The Liberals may be morally bankrupt, but none of them ever seem to have to worry about being financially bankrupt. If you can‘t plainly see that the Liberal party has been pissing your money away into their own coffers, then you desereve to remain ignorant, blind, and insolvent.

Originally posted by nULL:
Is the whole reason you would vote for a conservative government because of what they say they will do for the military? Isn‘t that just a cop out easy way to get +60,000 votes?
But it‘s OK for the Liberals to spend how many millions and pander to the professional welfare castes created by Liberals past to secure urban votes, and make a mockery of immigration laws to make sure "new Canadians" vote for the "right" party. Couldn‘t you just gag on the hippocracy?

the only reason liberals are getting votes now cuz they want to legalize marijuana so there getting cheap votes outta that

http://www.globeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20040302.wstron0302/BNStory/National/

Stronach proposes $1-billion boost to defence

By ALLISON DUNFIELD
Globe and Mail Update with Canadian Press

E-mail this Article
Print this Article

Advertisement

Conservative Party of Canada leadership candidate Belinda Stronach vowed to boost military spending by $1-billion each year over the next decade until it reaches 2 per cent of Canada‘s gross domestic product.

"The Canadian military has been plagued by years of under-funding and spending cuts," she said in a statement Tuesday.

"While Paul Martin was finance minister, military spending was cut from $12-billion in 1993-94 to $9.3-billion in 1998-99, a decrease of over 20 per cent."

In last year‘s budget, Ottawa raised defence funding to $13-billion a year.

Ms. Stronach said she would find the extra money through the federal government‘s existing surplus and by reducing the costs of government through unspecified cuts.

The Conservative candidate was in Halifax Tuesday promoting her leadership campaign.

She said that Canada has lost its place in the world. The country no longer has the muscle to live up to its international obligations, she said.

She also said she wants to repair what she sees as Canada‘s damaged relationship with the United States.

"Canada‘s economic livelihood depends on an open and secure Canada-United States border," she said.

Ms. Stronach said two million Canadian jobs rely on the free flow of goods across the Canada-U.S. border.

"I think we need to look at strengthening our relationship with the United States which has deteriorated over the years. It is our great neighbour to the south," Ms. Stronach said in a later interview with CBC Newsworld.

She also called for a review into Canada‘s foreign policy if she is elected the next prime minister.

"We haven‘t had a foreign affairs review in Parliament for over 10 years and I think it‘s time we did that. The world is changing so rapidly and Canadians should have greater input into what our foreign affairs policy should be," Ms. Stronach told Newsworld on Tuesday.

Ms. Stronach along with the other two Conservative leadership candidates, Tony Clement and Stephen Harper, have less than a month to go until the leadership vote, on March 20.

All three camps are trying to secure their votes in the race.

Since the Canadian Alliance and the Progressive Conservatives merged to create the Conservative Party of Canada, 110,000 new memberships have been sold.

Conservative sources also believe that Mr. Harper has the core support of the original membership of the party â ” about 90,000 of 142,000. Ms. Stronach would have to have signed up at least 50,000 to at least 100,000 to tip the balance in her favour.

Over the weekend, her camp dropped off about 34,000 new memberships but her supporters deny they are in trouble.

Mr. Clement, meanwhile, has said he believes he has sold at least 20,000 memberships and another 30,000 through nomination meetings.

Well, isn‘t this interesting.

RHF, the above post is only interesting in the way the things you couldn‘t have in the Sears Christmas Wish Book were interesting. The cold hard reality of politics in Canada is guns wins over butter every time. What ever number of votes you gain by dropping a billion into Defence, you will make again 10 fold by putting the same amount of money into health care.

As for corruption, I would argue that there has always been a certain amount of corruption in Canadian politics because, as Mulrooney put it best "You dance with the one what brung ya". The only reason that the new and improved Consevative party can claim the moral high ground in this respect is that they have never been given the chance to get their hands on the public purse. Once again, it‘s not a sign of honesty if the only reason you haven‘t got caught with your hands in the cookie jar is that you‘re to short to reach it!.

I think that the new and improved Conservatives will be seen as simply an offshoot of the Reform party, and as a result many of the Red Tories that composed the bulk of the party in Ontario and Atlantic Canada will either throw their support behind the NDP, or the Liberals and well have another 5 years under the "Natural Governing Party".

I believe that the original budget estimate for the fire arms registry was something like one million dollars. It has passed two billion according to a source close to the source, and has nowhere to go but up. Apparently it has made a very few folk quite wealthy. The original method of registration was more than adequate. In days of yore 50‘s 60‘s military personnel were payed with no deductions, paid no taxes etc. etc. But as service people got all the benifits. Now I would imagine that the beaurcracy associated with "pay" probably accounts for a far larger bit of the budget than we are aware of, much larger!

Back