• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New Cadpat

PuckChaser said:
Why do we need to waste the money to do that? NCDs have a specific operational use. RCAF aircrew have flight suits (when they can get them apparently). RCN folks on land ops wear CADPAT much like CA folks on ship wear NCDs. CADPAT is Canadian Disruptive Pattern not Canadian Army Disruptive Pattern. If CADPAT is not sufficiently RCN/RCAF enough, there's already a distinctive uniform, literally called the Distinctive Environmental Uniform. Throw on your 3B.

I understand that NCD's have a specific operational use but when they are in land based units, whether it's the NCR, Borden or anywhere else they still wear them.  When navy mbr's are assigned to land units they don't wear CADPAT, they still wear NCD's.  Even at the range in Connaught (Ottawa) they still wear NCD's.  I've don't recall when the last time was that I saw a navy mbr in CADPAT.  I don't think they even issue them to the navy unless they are a purple trade and are being deployed and require them.  When they return, they hand them back in I believe.

PuckChaser said:
If CADPAT is not sufficiently RCN/RCAF enough, there's already a distinctive uniform, literally called the Distinctive Environmental Uniform. Throw on your 3B.

Heretic.

stellarpanther said:
I understand that NCD's have a specific operational use but when they are in land based units, whether it's the NCR, Borden or anywhere else they still wear them.  When navy mbr's are assigned to land units they don't wear CADPAT, they still wear NCD's.  Even at the range in Connaught (Ottawa) they still wear NCD's.  I've don't recall when the last time was that I saw a navy mbr in CADPAT.  I don't think they even issue them to the navy unless they are a purple trade and are being deployed and require them.  When they return, they hand them back in I believe.

That was a RCN directive, that RCN pers posted outside RCN units must wear NCDs. If you go to a field force (LDA unit) those RCN pers wear CADPAT just like RCAF and CA pers as their dress of the day. To be honest its just as big of a waste of money to have CA pers not in an operational/element HQ wearing CADPAT as it is having RCN pers wear NCDs everywhere. Operational uniforms are expensive, why can't we dress up and look professional? If people work in a business-like office, wear our business-like attire.

Yes, I'm a heretic.  ;D

PuckChaser said:
That was a RCN directive, that RCN pers posted outside RCN units must wear NCDs. If you go to a field force (LDA unit) those RCN pers wear CADPAT just like RCAF and CA pers as their dress of the day. To be honest its just as big of a waste of money to have CA pers not in an operational/element HQ wearing CADPAT as it is having RCN pers wear NCDs everywhere. Operational uniforms are expensive, why can't we dress up and look professional? If people work in a business-like office, wear our business-like attire.

Yes, I'm a heretic.  ;D

As comfortable as it is to wear CADPAT everyday, I agree with you and would have no problem doing so.  Wearing 3b's certainly looks more professional.  The only change I would love to see with that uniform is that we be allowed to wear a white undershirt underneath.  I don't know how many time I've seen someone with sweat running down their backs or the armpits while standing on the bus. Then it doesn't look that professional.

stellarpanther said:
I don't see why the 3 elements can't have their own distinct CADPAT uniforms.  Other than the development costs it shouldn't be much of an additional cost. Isn't the navy already developing a new CADPAT uniform to replace their NCD's?

There will be the cost to purchase X amounts in varying sizes, the cost to store them, and the cost to transport them around if one depot doesn't have enough.  That's just off the top of my head.  All for what, to look different?  The public won't care, and military folks already know what to look for to figure out the wearer's element.

Also, there will be more folks pissed off that Supply doesn't have their size but have it in the other element's pattern. 

The RCN also isn't developing a CADPAT uniform - they're developing a uniform to replace NCDs.  It's like, but not exactly, the newer cut of combats.

stellarpanther said:
As comfortable as it is to wear CADPAT everyday, I agree with you and would have no problem doing so.  Wearing 3b's certainly looks more professional.  The only change I would love to see with that uniform is that we be allowed to wear a white undershirt underneath.  I don't know how many time I've seen someone with sweat running down their backs or the armpits while standing on the bus. Then it doesn't look that professional.

There's a regulation against that? I do it every time I'm in DEU. Same with my civilian dress shirts. Chapter 2, Section 2, Para 10 is the only reference I could find:

UNDERGARMENTS
10. Undergarments including a brassiere for female personnel shall be worn under all orders of dress and
shall be of an appropriate colour so as not to be visible through uniform items of clothing.

White undershirt by that para seems good to go. Perhaps you just saw a bunch of wierd folks who were never taught how to wear a suit?

PuckChaser said:
There's a regulation against that? I do it every time I'm in DEU. Same with my civilian dress shirts. Chapter 2, Section 2, Para 10 is the only reference I could find:

White undershirt by that para seems good to go. Perhaps you just saw a bunch of wierd folks who were never taught how to wear a suit?

I've worn one several times without any problems other than a sarcastic comment a few times but last year I wore one and I thought I was being accused of murder.  Some random MWO inside NDHQ started giving me shit saying it's never been allowed.  My CoC didn't really feel like taking up the fight so I stopped wearing it and didn't really think about it too much since I don't wear it that often anyway.

Politely ask for the reference and watch that MWO's head explode. If they ask why, tell them you want to give the reference to your subordinates so they don't make the same mistake.

stellarpanther said:
I've worn one several times without any problems other than a sarcastic comment a few times but last year I wore one and I thought I was being accused of murder.  Some random MWO inside NDHQ started giving me shit saying it's never been allowed.  My CoC didn't really feel like taking up the fight so I stopped wearing it and didn't really think about it too much since I don't wear it that often anyway.
What order of dress were you in? If 3B, was it showing at the neck and/or sleeves? If so, just wear a v-neck that fits so it doesn't show.

I've always worn one of those grey Logistik unicorp tee-shirts under my DEU button-up shirt (except in walking out dress). Never had anyone complain...mind you, 90% of the time I have my tunic over my shirt.

CanadianTire said:
I've always worn one of those grey Logistik unicorp tee-shirts under my DEU button-up shirt (except in walking out dress). Never had anyone complain...mind you, 90% of the time I have my tunic over my shirt.

Those grey tee-shirts are the most comfortable tee-shirts ever made...no??  Kept mine for years until they finally fell apart.

garb811 said:
What order of dress were you in? If 3B, was it showing at the neck and/or sleeves? If so, just wear a v-neck that fits so it doesn't show.

The white wasn't visible but it was probably possible to tell I had it underneath.  It's often possible to tell if a person is wearing an undershirt.  Maybe I'll wear one again next time I wear 3b's.  I'll run it by my CoC first.  As for that MWO, I didn't know him and don't recall even seeing him again since this happened.  For all I know, he was visiting NDHQ or the NCR.

stellarpanther said:
I don't see why the 3 elements can't have their own distinct CADPAT uniforms.  Other than the development costs it shouldn't be much of an additional cost. Isn't the navy already developing a new CADPAT uniform to replace their NCD's?

I think you're missing the point of camouflage. The intent isn't to be a uniform distinctive for the environment. If we wanted to have that we'd call it something else. CADPAT is first and foremost designed to be worn in combat, and we *should* have a combat uniform whose camouflage most effectively contributes to the concealment of troops in the environments we're most likely to fight in.

I always thought the old CADPAT was too dark green, personally- this new stuff looks like it'll probably be more effective.

Brihard said:
I think you're missing the point of camouflage. The intent isn't to be a uniform distinctive for the environment.

It doesn't help that some/many militaries around the world have made it "fashion" and a way to visually distinguish the services.

stellarpanther said:
I've worn one several times without any problems other than a sarcastic comment a few times but last year I wore one and I thought I was being accused of murder.  Some random MWO inside NDHQ started giving me crap saying it's never been allowed.  My CoC didn't really feel like taking up the fight so I stopped wearing it and didn't really think about it too much since I don't wear it that often anyway.

Were you wearing a v-neck or crew-neck t-shirt?

Crew neck would be against the regs because it is visible.
If, however, the MWO questioned a proper "invisible" v-neck, I would ask them why they are looking so closely at your undergarments.

Brashendeavours said:
Were you wearing a v-neck or crew-neck t-shirt?

Crew neck would be against the regs because it is visible.
If, however, the MWO questioned a proper "invisible" v-neck, I would ask them why they are looking so closely at your undergarments.

It was a V-neck with no part of the undershirt visible.  As I said, next time I wear 3b's, I'll wear it again.  I never had a problem before with it and I don't recall ever seeing that MWO every again.

PuckChaser said:

Same here, wore white v-neck (so no pop up above the top button like a round neck T cause) and not a single sideways glance from anyone in 101. :dunno:

Brihard said:
I think you're missing the point of camouflage. The intent isn't to be a uniform distinctive for the environment. If we wanted to have that we'd call it something else. CADPAT is first and foremost designed to be worn in combat, and we *should* have a combat uniform whose camouflage most effectively contributes to the concealment of troops in the environments we're most likely to fight in.

I always thought the old CADPAT was too dark green, personally- this new stuff looks like it'll probably be more effective.
Then why in the 90’s did they make us wear that hideous duck hunting jacket in the office?

my72jeep said:
Then why in the 90’s did they make us wear that hideous duck hunting jacket in the office?

I don't know, I was probably watching cartoons. I would guess though it's because the army was probably no less prone then to the occasional rampant stupidity to which it's still prone now.

my72jeep said:

They actually weren't that great for duck hunting.  ;D

Back