• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New Army Commander and Army Sergeant Major - 2024

dangerboy

Army.ca Veteran
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score
The Canadian Army had its change of command for the Army Commander going from LGen Jocelyn Paul to LGen Michael Wright.

Also the change of appointment for the Army Sergeant Major took place with CWO Jim Smith handing over to CWO Christopher Robin.

1720805521820.png
1720805584779.png

Everytime I see one of these change of command things, with everyone sitting behind a desk in a sedentary manner, I think 'begin as you mean to go on....' - sadly.

Unclipping from a parachute on a drop zone, hopping off a tank, or something like that, might be a better message to send I'm thinking ;)

Everytime I see one of these change of command things, with everyone sitting behind a desk in a sedentary manner, I think 'begin as you mean to go on....' - sadly.

Unclipping from a parachute on a drop zone, hopping off a tank, or something like that, might be a better message to send I'm thinking ;)
So a bunch of busy work by unit(s) to make a commander feel good about themselves and make themselves more army will mean they will be a better leader for the institution? Not sure I buy that one although I understand where you are coming from. While not universal my experience has been that the venn diagram between COs/commanders that want that kind of change of command and folks with narcissism overlaps quite a bit. I rather they just do their jobs with competence rather than trying to show folks how army they are. Although a bit of a tangent, reminds me of the Div/CMBG Ex MR measuring contest where each succesive CMBG tried to bring more to the field to one up the last CMBG.

Now if you take over a unit while it is on a Op LENTUS or it is in the field then it makes sense to probably incorporate it to some degree. I wasn't at the Change of Command but pretty sure Scott McKenzie took over 1 Svc Bn 1 CMBG HQ & Sigs did a CoC on a rooftop while on the Calgary floods. I may be slightly misremembering tho

Last edited:
So a bunch of busy work by unit(s) to make a commander feel good about themselves and make themselves more army will mean they will be a better leader for the institution? Not sure I buy that one although I understand where you are coming from. While not universal my experience has been that the venn diagram between COs/commanders that want that kind of change of command and folks with narcissism overlaps quite a bit. I rather they just do their jobs with competence rather than trying to show folks how army they are. Although a bit of a tangent, reminds me of the Div/CMBG Ex MR measuring contest where each succesive CMBG tried to bring more to the field to one up the last CMBG.

Now if you take over a unit while it is on a Op LENTUS or it is in the field then it makes sense to probably incorporate it to some degree. I wasn't at the Change of Command but pretty sure Scott McKenzie took over 1 Svc Bn on a rooftop while on the Calgary floods. I may be slightly misremembering tho
It was 1 CMBG HQ and Sigs...

The 1 CER Cof C in that same era was conducted in the main bay where troops were cleaning weapons and having a beer after a VERY long and demanding Ex. The "command table" was merely a place for the key participants to lean over and sign the docs. I do believe the Bde Comd bought a round as well

I just hate table top CoC’s
Especially if some troops need to be standing for it.

Now if you take over a unit while it is on a Op LENTUS or it is in the field then it makes sense to probably incorporate it to some degree. I wasn't at the Change of Command but pretty sure Scott McKenzie took over 1 Svc Bn on a rooftop while on the Calgary floods. I may be slightly misremembering tho

It was 1 CMBG HQ and Sigs...

The 1 CER Cof C in that same era was conducted in the main bay where troops were cleaning weapons and having a beer after a VERY long and demanding Ex. The "command table" was merely a place for the key participants to lean over and sign the docs. I do believe the Bde Comd bought a round as well
Thanks....I figured I was misremembering
I just hate table top CoC’s
Especially if some troops need to be standing for it.
Well yea that defeats the purpose I suppose. Can't say I have seen one like that other than trotting out a table on parade to do the actual signing, but I suppose it has happened :)

I know engineers. That you used the singular "a beer" makes me wonder what other details are incorrect in your retelling.

SM Smith's dad was my CSM when I was in Croatia with 1 VP - he used to take the CQ staff and the Coy Clerk out on night ops driving his Iltis around like a complete madman in blackout conditions and no NVG's trying to find bad people doing bad people things. I rarely saw him yell at anyone but you knew damn well he was the boss. IIRC, Jr was with the Anti-Armour Platoon on that deployment...

1720810431262.png

You'll dig this one then (from Fleet Diving Unit - Pacific )

Way To Go Applause GIF

FYI I Was LGen Wright`s first platoon 2 I/C - a temp because the PL WO was away on course so I was it.

IF any of you see him or are in contact with him tell him I congratulate him on his appointment. Who knew in 1994 this would happen.

CWO Jim Smith and I served together at one time as well.

FYI I Was LGen Wright`s first platoon 2 I/C - a temp because the PL WO was away on course so I was it.

IF any of you see him or are in contact with him tell him I congratulate him on his appointment. Who knew in 1994 this would happen.

CWO Jim Smith and I served together at one time as well.
He was my last platoon commander before I left 2 VP

LCdr Wong was the OPS O IIRC when I was at FDU(P). I seem to recall there was a QL 5 CL D class photo done at FDU(P) much the same way not that long ago...must be a new unit tradition.

1720823432782.png

LCdr Wong was the OPS O IIRC when I was at FDU(P). I seem to recall there was a QL 5 CL D class photo done at FDU(P) much the same way not that long ago...must be a new unit tradition.
Let’s see the USN Seals do this

Back