• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Need Advice

IsraelC

Inactive
Reaction score
Yes I used the search button, but to no avail.

I'm applying to be a med tech in the army. Here's my situation: I recently took an EMR course at SAIT as a way to become more competitive for the med tech trade, I completed the course with a 95% grade. The issue I face is the ACP (Alberta College of Paramedics) test that is coming up in mid-May. I would need to complete these tests to be a registered EMR in the province of Alberta.

I have no doubt that I could pass the tests, but the tests cost north of $600 to take. On top of that I would have to pay $350 to register once I have pass the tests (and every year after that; apparently its going up to $425 next year).

Is it vital that I am a registered EMR in Alberta or would the CF respect the fact that I have taken the course and done well in it? And in doing so save me +/- $1000.

Thank you kindly,
Israel

I can't speak as to what transfers over from the forces and doesn't, but my initial reaction would be to take tests if you can afford it. $1000 now for a lifetime of job security, not a bad trade.

I would change your subject line to maybe spark the interest of a Med Tech...

I deal with EMA licensing in BC and Sapperian hit the nail on the head IMHO. Take the exam now while the material is fresh in your head, you can always use it to make $$$ while you wait for the CF to get your ducks in a row. And from the sounds of it, every one is in for a long wait this year.

I agree with the above.  The cost of taking the test and maintaining your certification is minimal compared to the benefits of doing so.  It may also help you get work during the waiting period to get into the CF, which as others have said may take awhile.  It's also worth noting that having a job, particularly a good job with real responsibility in and of itself will make you more competitive to get into the CF.  If you look at it this way, the test and the registration costs really are a good investment.  Even after you get into the CF, being certified and registered can also enable you to moonlight (provided it doesn't interfere with your CF duty) for extra money, should you so desire.

I myself continue to pay annually for a certification that I don't need for the CF, but it's tax deductable and it makes me more competitive should I choose to retire and look for another job.

If the CF deems it necessary to maintain your registration (after you are trades qualified), the CF will pay for it.
We pay most "professional" registrations for federal/provincial groups, if that registration is required in order for them to do their job.

That being said, I do not know any Medics that are required to be paramedics; it's not like Dr's that need to be licensed in the province.

Wook

Pusser said:
Even after you get into the CF, being certified and registered can also enable you to moonlight (provided it doesn't interfere with your CF duty) for extra money, should you so desire.

His EMR qualification would apply in Alberta, if he passes their licensing exam. Licensure of Paramedics is the responsibility and domain of the various provincial regulatory bodies.
If the original poster gets posted outside Alberta - to Ontario for example, he will not be permitted to work 9-1-1 operations until qualified as an advanced emergency medical care assistant AEMCA:
http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/regs/english/elaws_regs_000257_e.htm#BK3

After QL5, he will become eligible to challenge the exam:
http://www.forces.gc.ca/health-sante/hp-ps/mcsp-pmcc/aemca-eng.asp

If interference with his full-time job is a concern, the O.P. should be aware that for Paramedics, there is a lot of mandated end-of-shift overtime.  Conflicts of interest are one of the reasons some departments, such as Toronto, do not employ part-timers.

Back