• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Naval ranks and careers

RyanNS,

Have you talked to a recruiter about your questions?  Gone through the recruiting process?  I've not been through MARS III so I can't tell you how hard the math is on the course.  I know, though, that mental math is a valuable skill in the MARS world and you need to be able to deal with fractions and angles for navigation purposes.  Just because you don't have a natural predilection for math doesn't mean you won't make a good MARS officer, just that you'll have to work harder in order to get it down.  I don't think the math involved in the course is the only reason for the high rate of failures... I'd guess mainly stress, watching the course this summer. I'll reiterate, though, that you should definitely talk to the recruiters and find someone that's actually gone through the process - I won't be able to give my opinion for at least another year. :)

The failure rate in MARs is high and you need to be completly on the ball, however all you need to be able to do is everything... LOL. No really when I was sailing in the reserves and trying to deal with the MARS jr offrs the one thing I noticed is that they take it like school and not like driving, which is what MARS is. If you kinda know what you are doing you are going to make a bunch of mistakes, but if you know how to do you job 100% then it is easy. You don't need to be as good as someone who has been sailing for years and years but you still need to be good enough. When you learn something, you cannot have any questions about how it works...just keep asking questions and know the procedures by heart. In MARS you do not have time to think you are right and second guess yourself, you need to know exactly what you are doing... sounds hard and it is, but that is also why MARS officers get the kind of respect that they get. Think of it like driving a car when you are 16, you knida know what you are doing, but not that cure of yourself...what would happen if you go a new stereo and now were concentrating on how to change the station...if you didn't know how to steer properly, you would drive off the road as soon as you looked down at the stereo...or when people turn the wheel when they do shoulder checks ... LOL ... not that hard when you know how to drive and the same is true with MARS.. when you think about it like driving a car with one hand on the wheel, one hand holding a big mac, listening to music and talking to your friend in the passenger seat ...it sounds hard and that is exactly what MARS is like, however think to yourself if you could actually do all that in a car.. the answr yes because you are not using your brain to try and figure out the answer, you are just reacting and doing what you know is required....Like we always said in the Ops Rm, when MARS officers start thinking there are going to be problems... HA HA HA it never gets old..Fair winds and following seas

"LOL ... not that hard when you know how to drive and the same is true with MARS.. when you think about it like driving a car with one hand on the wheel, one hand holding a big mac, listening to music and talking to your friend in the passenger seat ..."

I love the analogy, that's great!

Lethbridge U, you like that, eh? Well of course you would, you must be educated if you go to U Leth... I'm class of 99 BA - Exp Social Psych. Long live the Trolls- Cheers

Back