• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Mounties Seek ATVs ASAP

The Bread Guy

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
Found this on MERX....

http://tinyurl.com/33vj4c

Trade Agreement: NAFTA/AIT
Tendering Procedures:
Attachment: None
Competitive Procurement Strategy: Lowest/Lower Bid
Comprehensive Land Claim Agreement: No
Nature of Requirements:
2007 ALL TERRAIN VEHICLES

Quantity of nineteen (19) All Terrain Vehicles (ATV) and for the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP). The requirement includes manuals. Delivery is desirable for March 1, 2007. The delivery Calgary, Alberta; Edmonton, Alberta and Winnipeg, Manitoba. Due to an urgent operational requirement, the RCMP requires these vehicles by March 1, 2007 for furthereance to the area of operation. For this reason the closing date is February 9, 2007.

Within OPSEC rules, would such ATV's be used in town, or in more rural areas outside the major centres?  Seems these cities are big urban areas, but IIRC, RCMP is also the "provincial police" in AB and MB, so I'm guessing that entails a lot of rural policing, too.

I think you will find that few will stay within the actual cities, rather the lead/head detachment for the purposes of the tender are listed. Transporting an ATV is relatively simple.

The Ontario Provincial Police use them quite often.  They give far more utility than snowmobiles.

This seems kind of strange. The RCMP and Bombardier have some sort of in house deal going (and a few Federal government agencies, Parks Canada, Canadian Olympic Park etc.). Last year at the dealership I worked at out of the blue ATV units would show up. We would uncrate them, set them up and a detachment would show up for them. No paper work went through the dealership and our service department had to make do with the rates set by Bombardier and then wait and wait and wait for reimbursement. Another little strange quirk to this was Bombardier has done significant out sourcing to China (mainland) for parts. Given China's questionable human rights and fair wage polices/practices it was good for tearing a rather large strip off my Bombarider rep. Another reason for getting yet again out of the recreational vehicle industry. Also given the high demand of just plain regular customer sales to those involved in the oil and gas industry here who pay quite well for their ATV's and service on said units I can see why the RCMP may have problems getting units at rock bottom prices.

On the Ucluelet Peninsula (Ucluelet, Long Beach, Tofino) the detachments involved used ATV's to patrol beaches, logging roads, and rough trails. Here Honda's were used and did quite well. They (ATV's) can get into places 4x4s cannot not and the ATV's can carry a fair load as well as comm's gear. Next they were quite silent compared to a 4x4 providing a 'stealth' ability.

I think ATV's would help the RCMP here in NL, bigtime. Especially in rural areas. Growing up, people've told me too many stories on how they've evaded police on ATV's. I've seen an instance where a guy got caught, but just barely.

There's no reason why any police force can't combat crime by effective means, such as the use of ATV's.

Fry said:
I think ATV's would help the RCMP here in NL, bigtime. Especially in rural areas. Growing up, people've told me too many stories on how they've evaded police on ATV's. I've seen an instance where a guy got caught, but just barely.

There's no reason why any police force can't combat crime by effective means, such as the use of ATV's.

Maybe CBS....Not Trinity bay.
Let's face it...placing a mainlander in a Newfies back yard?Do you really think he knows all the cutting trails from this year and whats grown in from the last?3 mainlander police on ATV's compared to how many they would have to chase around?

I say lay off the Newfies on ATV's and hit the Oxycontin heads and crack.Bit more important in my books.

EX_RCAC_011 said:
I say lay off the Newfies on ATV's and hit the Oxycontin heads and crack.Bit more important in my books.
That's my stance. Even though we have no police in my town, were all good kids  >:D

Well, police on ATVs' sole purpose wouldn't be to bust other individuals breaking regulations on their ATV's. There's a lot of crime in rural Newfoundland. Most of it isn't accessible by car, either.

But, yes. Do cut down on those dope heads as well. :)

Fry said:
Well, police on ATVs' sole purpose wouldn't be to bust other individuals breaking regulations on their ATV's. There's a lot of crime in rural Newfoundland. Most of it isn't accessible by car, either.

But, yes. Do cut down on those dope heads as well. :)

From what I see the only thing most of these people are guilty of are trying to combat high gas prices,using ATV as sometime the sole transportation.Most of the crime I have been aware of in Rural Newfoundland has been Break and entry of stores on the side of main roads.Underage drinking...on side of the road,cause their too lazy to build cabins in the woods now. ::)

I can see most of these being employed in CBS where they have constant complaints with ATV's.

Many drink on the side of the road... with atvs. Police arrive, atv's scatter. Police charge no one, and the practice continues. One example where an ATV patrol would come in handy. Even the thought of RCMP on ATV's would probably be a deterrant.

There is a lot of arrogance here with some ATV riders. They know full well that a Crown Vic isn't going to go anywhere near where the ATV can get away.

Every detachment doesn't need ATV's, but it would be great to have an ATV unit per division... at least to halt constant problems. CBS especially, lol.

In regards to the ATVs in policing:  Earlier this summer, in my area, some OPP were out on ATVs and ended up in a HUGE haul of hidden marijuana growth quite far off the beaten path..  And they were on the way to investigate something else entirely!  ..Turns out,my hubby had been on the same pathway not too long before, though not quite so far down, and with rain we'd had had NO vehicle short of a 4x4 WSITH LIFT would've gotten down there, outside of an ATV..  Just one other good-feeling story about the use of ATVs. :D

Back