• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

money crisis

Well, if I may paraphrase some of the more famous generals of history: better to spend money than spend lives.

SOF, have you ever heard of Sun Tzu‘s Art of War? Pick up a copy sometime. Here‘s a good quote:

"[T]hose skilled in war subdue the enemy‘s army without battle. They capture the enemy‘s cities without assaulting them and overthrow his state without protracted operations. Their aim is to take all under heaven intact by strategic considerations. Thus, their troops are not worn out and their gains will be complete. This is the art of offensive strategy."

We‘re far more likely to accomplish that objective if we can maintain a credible threat. That means spending money to have capable armed forces, even if they‘re never used. Are you listening, Jean Chretien?

As much as I, too, lament the sad state of the military profession in Canada, I fear Soldier of Fortune is, I hope, showing his age.

...all young men, after all, are immortal...

It strikes me as somewhat ironic: Given that the purpose of an Army is to prevent and/or end wars... that we would want to start a war to justify the existence of an Army.

Just a thought...

Nobody ever got to be number one without an iron fist. Canada is a great country because of our spirit and courage. Go into our history books and see for yourself.

Why don‘t you guys ask your parents why they didn‘t keep the Olds Cutlass from the mid 80‘s in your driveway, and maybe then you will realize why the government is replacing the current collection of APC‘s. With time, things such as metal fatigue and the cost of maintenance of the vehicles warrant the replacement of them. And just like everyone knows, it will cost money. As for giving money to poorer countries.... It is our country‘s responsibility as a founding member of the UN to take the lead in making the world a better place. Sure, we should let Americans take the lead and run the world!!! Then why bother being Canadian?!

-the patriot- :cdn:

I stand (sit?) in unabashed awe at the flat out ignorance of some of the participants on this page!

Unlike Mr. Bossi, I have had the somewhat dubious honor of having to do battle in an active theatre of war (OK; Police Action) and while some of the young do have a tendency to consider themselves immortal, that vanishes the first time you see a buddy hit with something very fast and nasty (Hell of a mess...all that goo and stuff. The screaming is pretty bad too but you learn not to listen after a while).

That‘s when you realize that the team you‘re detailed to protect has less than a Pri3 standby rating for Arty support and the smartest thing you can do is haul *** or die! That‘s when you realize that some boneheaded Supply Tech Sgt has decided to keep all his kit neat and tidy for the next inspection rather than distribute it to the troops that need it in the field!

If you have the kit, deploy it. If you don‘t have the kit, build it and deploy it.

Sorry for the rant...just tired of Armchair soldiers

Dileas Gu Brath

Master Blaster,
Don‘t apologise! You‘ve obviously earned your right to be indignant. Your right, put it down to youthful exuberance. On poor equipment? Let‘s start when I rode around in a baffed out Ford Econoline(remember those?) during the October (FLQ) Crisis. Sat in a beatup Centurion, looking through the gun sight at my Gen Force counterparts while on Reforger in the early ‘70‘s (part of the Cold War, for you young fellas). In my Ferret at the ‘76 Olympiad in Montreal, waiting for terrorists to shoot down aircraft, or doing ammo guard while the Baader Mienhoff gang and the Red Brigade (ever heard of them?) plunder NATO ammo points for supplies. Finally, getting to rum(caught this spelling mistake but, it fits, so I‘ll leave it) around Bosnia in an overworked, worn out Iltis, in 94-95 when it was a little warmer(politically) than it is now. Always the poor cousin to whoever we worked with. Canadian soldiers have always worked with beat up, worn out, and past it‘s due date stuff forever. When we get stuff like the LAVlll, the guys deserve it, but we don‘t keep it on the cutting edge. We let everyone develop mods for the brand new stuff WE develop and sell to them, then we don‘t adopt the mods! Lots of new stuff in War Stock(in Quebec), but we can‘t have it. Your right! They won‘t have it on their shelves! And if they don‘t, they‘re not doing their jobs! (In their deluded minds). I would say the opposite. If it‘s not issued out, some field soldier is being deprived of essential equipment he is entitled to. The role of the (entire) CF military, is to support the Combat Arms! That‘s the bottom line! Constitutes deriliction of duty amongst other things if you ask me, if they don‘t. Money to third world nations? Not until they become full democracies with sanctioned, monitored (by western nations, and the $ donors) elections. Bush is right. Give them loans, they don‘t repay them and you have no say in how they‘re spent (or socked into the dictator‘s Swiss account), notice how Koffi Annan has been re-elected, in the UN, and is asking for HUGE (totalling billions) increases to HIS continent in forgivable loans?. He offers no progress or guarantees from recieving nations. And we‘re racists if we demand to know how OUR money is spent. Make it a grant and you can monitor it‘s distribution and who gets it. You won‘t see it back either way, might as well have some control. However, and I‘ve always believed this, Canada should get it‘s own house in order, eliminate child poverty, homelessness, and fix medicare, etc. THEN, we‘ll solve the problems of the world. To many Canadian politicos trying to buy their way into the World Cocktail Circuit with our 53% taxes. You young pussers (there‘s a word some have‘nt heard for awhile) should get some TI (another acronym) before you start deciding policy for the world, or how we send our soldiers into it! A previous post has one of my favouite authors quoted. You young fellas would do well if you read Kipling‘s stuff today, it still applies.

There‘s my rant for the wknd, did it go off topic? Oh well!. No apoligies!

ive been away for a long time and missed everyones replies on thissubject and i think that everyone made a strong point. i would like to say though that canada does need some way to prove that were not the pushover country that america thinks we are and that we have prov to everyone that we have courage but aperently courage does not last for every. with the tension rising in china a world war could start because of it and i just dont think it is smart if canadahas there equipment in someone elses backyard if a war does start. we need to prove our strength.

Back