• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Mom~Looking for a few answers - 1RNBR BMQ training

Sony33

Inactive
Reaction score
Basically what I'd like to know is Where my son will be going to Boot Camp and for how long?

I've been to the Goverment site many times, I've also spoken with men in the Army, recruiters and such. NO ONE can give us a straight answer on where or how long Boot Camp will be. I thought it would be a simple question, but I've gotten 7 different answers. 

We are in Fredericton, He wants to do Infantry. He has 4 yrs of Cadets under his belt.

Thank you to anyone that can give me some insight. I appreciate it.

(Moderator edit to add detail to thread subject.)

Is he Regular Force, or Reserve?

Also, your searches will be more effective if you look for "Basic Training" or "Basic Military Qualification" or "BMQ".  Boot Camp is an American term.

Today he is 15(will be 16 in Oct.).

His plans are next summer after he has his grade 10 credits and he will have reached the age requirement to join the Militia for 2 yrs while he finishes his last 3 yrs of Highschool, then joing Full Time Army.

Thank you, so now we need responses from folks currently engaged in Reserve BMQ training to confirm the length of the current courses.

Also, can anyone confirm if 1 RNBR runs winter BMQ on Class "A" training, or are they conducting them at unit or brigade level full time in the summers?

For Sony33, some Reserve courses are run part time between September and May/June on a party-time basis (one week night per week, 1-2 weekends per month).  The frequency of training days/evenings will determine how long the course is from start date to graduation.  If the course is run full time in the summer it would be Mon-Fri full days for the same total number of training days.

Reserves, depends on local area.

Regular Forces could be at CFLRS St. Jean, CFB Gagetown or, CFB Borden.

NFLD Sapper said:
Reserves, he will probably be trained at the armouries downtown.

Regular Forces could be at CFLRS St. Jean, CFB Gagetown or, CFB Borden.

The Armouries does Basic Training in F'ton?

I've been out of the military for a few years now, getting back in as we speak.....hopefully I can help clear some things up for you though.

The length of his BASIC MILITARY QUALIFICATION course (same as bootcamp, but we don't call it that) -- will depend on a variety of factors, primarily on whether or not he is going reserve or regular force.

Generally for the reserves, they have a fair number of options.  Many reserve units/brigades offer weekend BMQ courses -- the recruits show up on Friday evening, and are sent home on Sunday evening.  These generally run for 10 weekends -- 3 weekends on, 1 weekend off.  From his age, I'm assuming he will be joining a local Army Reserve unit.  If this is the case, and if he is very busy with school - he can also do his training fulltime during the summer.

Now after his BMQ course, he will be required to take something called a SOLDIER QUALIFICATION COURSE - commonly knows as an SQ course.  This is done after the BMQ course, and will teach him more soldier-related skills.  This is generally a similar length to the BMQ course, and often are run back-to-back with BMQ courses.

So to answer your question, I can't give you a specific answer - nor can anybody else at this point.  Where he will be going to do his BMQ/SQ courses will depend on whether he is going to do it on weekends, or fulltime during the summers.  This will also affect the length of the course.

To get a firm answer, your best bet is to go through the recruiting process.  Once the recruiting process is finished, he will be enrolled in a BMQ course, and the exact information as to where/when/how long the course will be, will be given to you once he's enrolled in the course.

Clear as mud??  Hope that helps!

NFLD Sapper, unless you can confirm what 1RNBR has been doing, extra conjecture isn't helping.

EVERYONE, please follow the conversation:

RESERVE TRAINING
1 RNBR
FREDERICTON

Now seeking confirmation of 1RNBR BMQ training approaches and current course length. Please do not confuse the thread with unnecessary details not based on the above facts which have been provided.

CBH99:

Thank You.

As he will be qualified to joing the Reserves as of grade 10 Graduation next June. He will want to enroll in the full time summer Basic Training. Is that also at the Armouries?

Michael O`Leary said:
EVERYONE, please follow the conversation:

RESERVE TRAINING
1 RNBR
FREDERICTON

Now seeking confirmation of 1RNBR BMQ training approaches and current course length. Please do not confuse the thread with unnecessary details not based on the above facts which have been provided.

I'll fire off an email tomorrow to enquire an answer/details direct from the source at 1 RNBR.

Vern

Thank You Vern. I appreciate everyones help.
Just to confirm. I'm inquiring about SUMMER Basic Training. :)

Sony33 said:
Thank You Vern. I appreciate everyones help.
Just to confirm. I'm inquiring about SUMMER Basic Training. :)

Next summer of 2009?

Or this summer?

Back