• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

"Militias" or Private Armies?

Spr.Earl

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
A very interesting read!!!!!!

http://www.rickross.com/groups/militia.html

:soldier:
Not all militias are like that, those ones are the illeagle type. real militias are actually part of the military like the Lorne Scots, so don't be giving militias a bad name, also all a private army is, is a grouhp of mercanaries or terrorists for that matter :gunner: :fifty: :cdn: :salute:

Lad, I seriously doubt that Earl intended to give The Militia, otherwise known as the Army Reserve "a bad name".  I think you'll find that the word "militia" has a very different connotation south of the border, where it is used to refer to paramilitary fringe groups composed primarily of gun nuts and other extremists.  Incidentally, memebership in such groups is not illegal.  I think you need to listen to what people like Earl have to say a little bit more closely, rather than spouting off any lip at him.

willy said:
I think you'll find that the word "militia" has a very different connotation south of the border, where it is used to refer to paramilitary fringe groups composed primarily of gun nuts and other extremists.  Incidentally, memebership in such groups is not illegal. 

This may be a stupid question, but are these types of gun nut extremist fringe groups illegal in Canada?

I'm not a legal expert, and I may be wrong on this, but I think that people in both Canada and   the US have pretty near complete freedom of assembly, meaning that they can belong to any kind of club, organization, militia, or whatever they want.   Unless I've missed my guess, it's the activity such groups undertake that gets thier members into trouble, not the simple membership itself.   That said, I don't think that the style of militias in question here could really ever get off the ground in this country because our laws and their customary practices would not jive too well.   They might be able to set up shop, but their regular Saturday night backyard flamethrower shoot/hoedown would land them all in jail pretty quick.

Or maybe I'm wrong.   Actual lawyers please feel free to correct me.

I have heard of several groups here in Canada.

One is of a groups of modern-day ninja (believe it or not) who have set up shop on Vancouver island (or somewhere close to it) and live and train in a "martial" community. I don't think they've hurt anyone. Their leader Thomas "Dusty" Miller has actually done consulting work for movies and was the chief technical adviser for the Christopher Lambert movie "the Hunted."

There are rumblings of others but if they're there then they stay pretty quiet.

Slim

Back