• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Meet the GM Defense ISV Army Truck

daftandbarmy

Army.ca Dinosaur
Reaction score
Want the Hardest-Core Chevy Colorado ZR2? Meet the GM Defense ISV Army Truck

Take one Colorado midsize pickup, remove bodywork, add bad-assery

Think the new 2021 Chevrolet Colorado ZR2, the midsize pickup truck's hardcore off-road trim, is impressive? Its primary changes from before include less styling—seriously, Chevy just straight-up made most of the front end part of the grille or intake. Underneath, it still has the same lifted suspension, beefy tires, and 4x4 equipment to chase goats up rocky paths. But what if that '21 ZR2 isn't crazy enough? Perhaps you'd like it with even less bodywork and a stronger dose of visual intimidation? Time to join the Army!
That's because General Motors' Defense division (new as of 2017) has a new prototype for an Infantry Squad Vehicle (ISV) that is based on today's Colorado ZR2 chassis—and it's bound for military service, not your local Chevy dealer. So far, GM Defense has been awarded a $1 million contract by the U.S. military to develop the ISV and test two prototypes ahead of a planned order of 650 finalized models by 2020.

If a million bucks doesn't seem like not a lot of money for a defense contract, let alone a vehicle development cycle, you're right. But, then, there isn't much to the ISV beyond the Colorado ZR2's frame and suspension and that wacky metal exoskeleton. The vehicle lacks doors, a pickup bed, and even a proper roof. Up front, the ISV one-ups the 2021 Colorado ZR2's mostly grille-filled face with . . . basically no face at all. There is a hole where the radiator is, plus a substantial bumper and skid plate arrangement. Slits in what we assume is the hood house headlights.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/gm-infantry-squad-vehicle-chevy-colorado-zr2-military-truck/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21PA-3LgFIQ

Selected:

GM DEFENSE AWARDED A $214.3M CONTRACT TO PRODUCE THE U.S. ARMY’S INFANTRY SQUAD VEHICLE

8lDR53P.jpg

The Army today announced it has selected GM Defense, LLC, Detroit, Mich., to produce the Infantry Squad Vehicle, or ISV, to motorize Infantry Brigade Combat Teams. Delivery of this modernized capability is slated to begin with the 1st Brigade, 82nd Airborne Division, as the designated First Unit Equipped next winter. The contract is valued at $214,297,869 and the Army intends to purchase 649 vehicles.

It is based on the Chevrolet Colorado ZR2 architecture, which will derive 90 percent of its parts from commercial-off-the-shelf components.

The ISV’s basic operational capabilities include:

Nine-man squad carrying capability

- Payload of 3,200 lbs.
- External sling load by a UH-60 Black Hawk helicopter
- Internal load/external lift by CH-47 Chinook helicopter
- Low-velocity air drop by fixed-wing C-130 or C-17 transport aircraft
- Exceptional mobility over all terrains

https://www.army.mil/article/236844/infantry_squad_vehicle_to_motorize_ibcts

https://www.gmdefensellc.com/site/us/en/gm-defense/home/news/2020/gm-defense-awared-contract-to-produce-us-armys-infantry-squad-vehicle.html

https://twitter.com/GMDefense/status/1276656918073925632

Hamish Seggie said:
Should have used the Ram 2500 chassis as a basis.

The Colorado is a girly wanna be truck  :stirpot:

Well, that nicely explains me and my white, blinged up, 2018 Colorado/ Canyon :)

I kind of like it. I have no idea how they plan to get a section of nine troops in there though? Maybe its a misprint of some kind.

daftandbarmy said:
Well, that nicely explains me and my white, blinged up, 2018 Colorado/ Canyon :)

I kind of like it. I have no idea how they plan to get a section of nine troops in there though? Maybe its a misprint of some kind.

If you can fit another between the driver and co driver you can do 9, otherwise from the photo I count 8.

Not commenting on the quality of GM v RAM or Ford trucks but I like the general configuration although some hard mounts for MGs would be welcome.

I do wonder about the number at 649. Assuming 4 per platoon / 16 per company that would require roughly 50+ per battalion (not counting the HMMWVs currently in the weapons company). The US Army currently has 14 Active IBCTs and 20 NG IBCTs for a total of 102 light battalions. 649 would at best equip some 13 battalions (or most probably less than that). Makes you wonder if the NG IBCTs are getting these shiny new trucks?

:cheers:

daftandbarmy said:

I'm looking at some pictures, and I see two front seats, three back seats and 4 seats in the box.  Will be tight seating for guys with their kit though....

Back when the earth was cooling, I still had hair, and the Bobcat APC project was still alive, our infantry battalions were motorized, aka 13 Inf Bns, Mot. The vehicle used was the venerable Dodge M37 3/4 ton truck on a scale of 4 per platoon. I think something along its lines would provide be a better option in terms of carrying capacity, along with better egress, etc, etc. Oh, and I used to FOO back then, and we did an awful lot of humping despite the motorized designation.

Reactions: ueo
FJAG said:
Not commenting on the quality of GM v RAM or Ford trucks but I like the general configuration although some hard mounts for MGs would be welcome.

I do wonder about the number at 649. Assuming 4 per platoon / 16 per company that would require roughly 50+ per battalion (not counting the HMMWVs currently in the weapons company). The US Army currently has 14 Active IBCTs and 20 NG IBCTs for a total of 102 light battalions. 649 would at best equip some 13 battalions (or most probably less than that). Makes you wonder if the NG IBCTs are getting these shiny new trucks?

:cheers:

Based on what I have read it seems the idea is to take them out and let the troops lose on them for a while to see how they actually perform before committing to a larger order.

I count 2 and 3 in the "cab" and 4 in the "box".  2 facing the rear and 2 facing outboard.

Watch out for things that go boom in the night.

daftandbarmy said:

As you are aware the Colorado is a mini Silverado. I think - just from experience - its a bit small and maybe underpowered. I wonder what the engine is. Diesel or gas?
I did a bit of research and I am not sold on this idea. Mind you, its not my army so this is just another irrelevant opinion.

Hamish Seggie said:
As you are aware the Colorado is a mini Silverado. I think - just from experience - its a bit small and maybe underpowered. I wonder what the engine is. Diesel or gas?

I don't know anything about engines (because: Infantry Officer) but this little truck hauls a$$... front or back country

I've got the 3.6l V6 engine https://www.caranddriver.com/gmc/canyon

daftandbarmy said:
I don't know anything about engines (because: Infantry Officer) but this little truck hauls a$$... front or back country

I've got the 3.6l V6 engine https://www.caranddriver.com/gmc/canyon

The big diesel from the Ram is 370 HP but over 800 foot pounds of torque. Much more cargo/weight capacity and storage. They are a big vehicle.

Part of the issue is the electronics and computers that the engines require to operate properly. Maintenance will be an issue.

I recall the old Dodge 3/4 ton - I actually learned to drive it on my Driver course in 1976 just before it was retired and replaced by the Chevy 3/4 ton - which actually performed pretty well.
The old Dodge was simple to maintain, but a beast to drive.

Reactions: ueo
Hamish Seggie said:

It’ll be the GM DuraMax 2.8L straight-four. The engine is actually VM Motori’s A428 high-pressure common-rail diesel, built for GM under contract.  Fuel is easy...JP8/multi-fuel...no need to handle ME Gas separately.

I had this engine in a Jeep...it was a beast!  Each cylinder is almost as big as a 750cc motorcycle.  I could tow a 5,000lb trailer no problem.  Torque out the wazoo - more than 300ft-lbs.  In this platform, power and grunt shouldn’t be an issue....only space will be. ;)

Regards
G2G

quadrapiper said:
Buddy with his toes hanging over the edge being illustrative.

There's always room for one more...just ask the ANP who stood on the rear bumper of the Ford Ranger so he could man the 20mm AA gun...

9 troops? nah.... How many hay bales can I pull with this puppy?

Also, can it be mounted with a 7.62mm mini gun for mowing down coyotes and trees? asking for a friend

Hamish Seggie said:

"[p]owered by a 186-horsepower, 2.8L Duramax turbo-diesel engine, and six-speed automatic transmission."

Link.

Back