• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

May Day Protests France

Any memorandums of understanding from the protesters yet?

Yup, you need to be honking horns and reving engines to get the full weight of government dropped on you...:cool:
If we’d been on the ball that month we would have infiltrated the crowd with a sheaf of ‘honk if you’re horny’ bumper stickers.

It’s protest, some of it lawful, some of it crossing into unlawful riot. Throwing the term ‘terrorism’ around willy-nilly doesn’t make it so.

You may be unaware, but France’s Algerian diaspora goes back many decades. Algeria was a French colony until it won independence and there are a great many French Algerians with full French citizenship. Unfortunately, France has historically had prevalent racist attitudes to its Algerian community. While France has been happy to profit from cheaper diaspora or immigrant labour, full social and economic inclusion has eluded most of them, and they’ve seen disproportionate police violence. When this carries on long enough, the friction can get kinda hot.

This current expression of outrage, sparked by a police shooting of a young French Algerian man, will fade as authorities get it under control. Let’s not, in the meantime, pretend it’s something it isn’t. There has been no threat to the lawful governance of the French state. There has been a single death- tragic, but only one. Breathlessly going to the most extreme interpretation of what this is doesn’t contribute to building a clearer picture at all.
Algeria is a festering wound that's scabbed over. The Algerian War is a particular bitter moment in France's history and one they have not be able to come to terms with.

Marine Le Pen is actually married to a pied noir and has large support from the Algerian French diaspora, many of whom believe Algeria is France’s by right and they hate the Algerians.

Algeria is a festering wound that's scabbed over. The Algerian War is a particular bitter moment in France's history and one they have not be able to come to terms with.

Marine Le Pen is actually married to a pied noir and has large support from the Algerian French diaspora, many of whom believe Algeria is France’s by right and they hate the Algerians.

Yup, I have no idea what reconciliation looks like.

My wife is French Algerian; they left France and immigrated to Canada when she was a toddler, hoping to raise the family in a country where they could be treated more as equals.

My wife is French Algerian; they left France and immigrated to Canada when she was a toddler, hoping to raise the family in a country where they could be treated more as equals.

I'll give it a week and by that time, if the 'riots' haven't stopped, the 'war' will escalate with dire consequences for both sides...

France riots: Police chief says officers are involved 'in a war' as protesters attack home of French mayor​

Major violence has spread through urban areas across France in recent days following the police shooting of an unarmed teenager in Nanterre.

The Algerian War was sort of like the American Revolution and the Pied Noir were kind of like the Loyalists.

It will take a very long time. A lot of people think it's "racism" but it's more complex than that.

IMO France has been trending towards populism for a while. I think Le Pen has a very good chance of forming the French Government next election.

On another note:

This is a pretty good indicator on how the Gaul general public feel about their Officer's actions:

Plus its france, burning streets to the ground and protesting against the government are time honoured traditions there.

There is a reason they have the gendarmerie, not just the police.

Back