• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Mattis orders fighter jet readiness to jump to 80 %

observor 69

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
WASHINGTON — Secretary of Defense Jim Mattis has ordered the Air Force and Navy to get mission capable rates for four key tactical aircraft up above 80 percent by the end of next September, a daunting challenge given the current readiness rates of America’s fighter fleets.

Specifically, that means achieving a minimum of 80 percent mission capability rates for the Pentagon’s F-35, F-22, F-16 and F-18 inventories — a number well above the mission capability rates those aircraft now achieve. In addition, Mattis wants to see reduced operating and maintenance costs on the platforms, starting in FY19.

https://www.defensenews.com/air/2018/10/09/mattis-orders-fighter-jet-readiness-to-jump-to-80-percent-in-one-year/?utm_campaign=Socialflow+DFN&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social

More info in the article but I do know this will be a hard goal to reach.
Not sure Mattis is fully aware of all the factors in aircraft maintenance affecting reaching this number.

Baden Guy said:
WASHINGTON — Secretary of Defense Jim Mattis has ordered the Air Force and Navy to get mission capable rates for four key tactical aircraft up above 80 percent by the end of next September, a daunting challenge given the current readiness rates of America’s fighter fleets.

Specifically, that means achieving a minimum of 80 percent mission capability rates for the Pentagon’s F-35, F-22, F-16 and F-18 inventories — a number well above the mission capability rates those aircraft now achieve. In addition, Mattis wants to see reduced operating and maintenance costs on the platforms, starting in FY19.

https://www.defensenews.com/air/2018/10/09/mattis-orders-fighter-jet-readiness-to-jump-to-80-percent-in-one-year/?utm_campaign=Socialflow+DFN&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social

More info in the article but I do know this will be a hard goal to reach.
Not sure Mattis is fully aware of all the factors in aircraft maintenance affecting reaching this number.

I don't think Mattis is the type of leader that would make a decision like this without knowing what's involved. I'm pretty sure he's aware of the factors affecting maintenance procedures and those that would lead to the failure of his order. If not, his advisers would. Including those in the AF, Navy and Marines who would know better than to give him a false answer.

And he's right. The dollar waste, in aircraft maintenance, is atrocious and needs to be based in the real world. Not that of government contracts.

Even attempting this, will hopefully show all the flaws and pitfalls, that have been responsible for the lower numbers in the past. Once identified, they can be rejigged, changed or tossed. 80% by next year? Probably not, but I'll bet they get damn close. Perhaps once it's studied and fixed, they'll reach it in two years and maintain it.

Fishbone Jones said:
I don't think Mattis is the type of leader that would make a decision like this without knowing what's involved. I'm pretty sure he's aware of the factors affecting maintenance procedures and those that would lead to the failure of his order. If not, his advisers would. Including those in the AF, Navy and Marines who would know better than to give him a false answer.

And he's right. The dollar waste, in aircraft maintenance, is atrocious and needs to be based in the real world. Not that of government contracts.

Even attempting this, will hopefully show all the flaws and pitfalls, that have been responsible for the lower numbers in the past. Once identified, they can be rejigged, changed or tossed. 80% by next year? Probably not, but I'll bet they get damn close. Perhaps once it's studied and fixed, they'll reach it in two years and maintain it.

Yes I agree with most of what you are saying FB. And I agree that he will have senior people providing knowledgeable advice.
It's just that I spent many years working, patching up and bring up to a serviceable status a fleet of 104s
and Voodoos. These type of aircraft are complex machines and the more they age the more difficult it is to maintain a high serviceability rate. Good luck to them but it will be challenging to reach 80% across this fleet of aircraft.

Baden Guy said:
Yes I agree with most of what you are saying FB. And I agree that he will have senior people providing knowledgeable advice.
It's just that I spent many years working, patching up and bring up to a serviceable status a fleet of 104s
and Voodoos. These type of aircraft are complex machines and the more they age the more difficult it is to maintain a high serviceability rate. Good luck to them but it will be challenging to reach 80% across this fleet of aircraft.

Having been a 531 on your mentioned birds and many others of that era, I concur. However, I don't think this was a spur of the moment, off the cuff remark. I'm pretty sure he's aware of what the ramifications and pitfalls entail. Mattis does not strike me as the type that would make a decision like this over coffee and not without expert input and corroboration.

"These type of aircraft are complex machines and the more they age the more difficult it is to maintain a high serviceability rate."

Which just makes me laugh at the grit plan to buy more used F-18s  ;)

Back