• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Marines' new grooming standards

PMedMoe

Army.ca Legend
Donor
Reaction score
By Jeff Schogol, Stars and Stripes
Mideast edition, Thursday, August 2, 2007

http://stripes.com/article.asp?section=104&article=55359&archive=true

Pretty interesting read, although I'm surprised it's only come out now.  ???  If you open the PDF file (at top right of article), you get the full dress regs which even dictates what type of civilian clothing they should/should not wear. 
I love the part about body hair.
Male: "Male Marines also cannot have their chest hair protrude from their T-shirts" and
Female: "Body Hair. No female Marine will be required to remove body hair except where leg hair protrudes beyond the appropriate hosiery per subparagraph 3027.5, or causes a visibly uneven texture under said hosiery."

I can just see it now:  "Staff Sergeant!  Did you shave your legs today?"  ::)

Quite the detailed standards they have, yet simple and easy to follow, not too much room for leeway anywhere.  You do have to wonder at some of them though, and why they are included.  Such as "Nail polish for male Marines is not allowed."  On the other hand, you get a bit of a shock when they allow something like this: "Nail Polish in service and dress uniforms. When worn, nail polish must be in shades of red (within the red spectrum, to include pinks and burgundies) and must complement the skin tone."  :eek:

I can't speak for the women's leg hair thing, but male Marines haven't been allowed to have chest hair peeking out from above the t-shirt since at least 25 years. It probably goes back way further, but that was when I first became aware of this policy since I had to shave a patch that stuck up above my t-shirt when I was an FMF Corpsman.

It makes sense that they are trying to close all the loopholes in their dress standards that todays fashion/styles dance around and which make it hard to declare something illegal if it isnt spelled out on paper.  But I can see a lot of challenges over what is 'revealing' and what isnt, for off-duty clothing, based on how puritanical the commander is...

I'm surprised they didnt also address 'wardrobe malfunctions' while they were at it!

marines are not hurting for recruits - so i guess they can do that.

r

PMedMoe said:
Male: "Male Marines also cannot have their chest hair protrude from their T-shirts" and
Well, if I were a Marine, I suppose I'd have to shave my Powers Patch!  ;D

Well,

Due to my previous difficulties with waxing, I'd wait until the hair caused a "ripple effect" underneath my authorized stockings to do anything about it.  >:D I don't think I've every seen a pic of one of the lady marines with any shade of "red spectrum" nail polish on while in uniform however. I'll have to googlefoo for one. That's be a little different to see, as we can only wear clear polish here.

ArmyVern said:
I don't think I've every seen a pic of one of the lady marines with any shade of "red spectrum" nail polish on while in uniform however.

I remember watching a newscast on T.V. during the Gulf War and they were talking to a U.S. clerk (not sure what branch).  She had claws for fingernails painted bright red.  And yet, the officer gave s**t to a male soldier who was smoking while digging a trench.  ::)

PMedMoe said:
I remember watching a newscast on T.V. during the Gulf War and they were talking to a U.S. clerk (not sure what branch).  She had claws for fingernails painted bright red.  And yet, the officer gave s**t to a male soldier who was smoking while digging a trench.   ::)
I'd have probably lost it Moe to see that. I just can't fathom red polish in uniform. I guess when you are used to only being allowed clear polish ... anything else would be a shocker. I still can't seem to find a picture of it though on googlefoo.

I'll never have claws ... just can't grow the darn things.

Male: "Male Marines also cannot have their chest hair protrude from their T-shirts"

Not only a US thing.
Back in '95  a certain CSM at the RCR Bsl ordered my mate to "tame" what the CSM termed his "Roll-neck sweater" .... by shaving a large patch of his chest bare...

SB

Its about time this happened! Those marines have been looking too shabby for too long. Get a haircut! ;D

I think you'll find the answers as to why the nail polish in red shades was chosen in this article: http://www.nps.gov/archive/wapa/indepth/extContent/usmc/pcn-190-003129-00/sec8.htm It was originally picked to match the colour of the red piping on their winter headgear.  There are also some pics of the women wearing red nail polish. 

Back