• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

MAR ENG Queries

Both the Mar Eng and ETech trades maintain IMCS/IPMS. Obviously, sound knowledge of computers and operating systems would be of benefit though I admit, I was never an IMCS Tech. Even  as CERA, when getting briefed by the IMCS Tech on an issue, the knowledge threshold was rudimentary in comparison to what they do. There is a separate maintenance course and I believe all METTP now have this course tacked onto their modified QL5 as they would have received computer training at MUN. The course is also open to non-METTP stokers (and of course ETechs) as well though I think it is being rolled into the ETech training as well. If no one has chimed in to confirm this last point by Monday, I will ask one of them.

There are discussions happenning that the possibility exists in the future fleet (10+ years out) that because the systems will comprise a lot of common equipment, the maintainers for IPMS and CMS will be one in the same under either CSE or MSE (or a combined 'Engineering') Dep't. Again, these are VERY informal off-the-cuff discussions.

I have a couple of questions for the Stokers out there. I am currently an Artillery Soldier which is about to start my second 3 year contract in less then a month. My promotion paper work has already been sent up in Jan and my CoC told me with in the month I will be promoted to Bdr. I have been on exercise and just got the chance to get an appointment with the BPSO this Thursday coming but have a couple of questions for the Stokers out there.

1. Are they still offering the MCM SEP and sending people to MI in St John`s or did that stop last year(Man I would love to get all the schooling done up front because I love going on courses)

2. Are Stokers busy most times when working at sea and at port. (The reason for wanting out of Artillery is I love the job but as all combat arms trade we only spend about two months of the year doing our job and in the field. The other 10 months is spent doing nothing but sweeping every once and a while. I think my cap badge should have a broom instead of a cannon.)

3. Since this is a red trade right now does someone have a better chance to pick the coast they want to go to since they are needed in both places.    (My wife and I would prefer Halifax but could deal with whatever Just wondering if Halifax would be easy to get. All the Navy guys I did basic with except one ended up in BC but I believe everyone of them got the coast they wanted.

thanks in advance to any responses and I would prefer to get the answers from stokers then the BPSO because she can help me get the OT but doesn`t know ever trade or what they do on a daily basis. I talked to a stoker I did basic with and he told me be prepared to draw a lot to begin and do lots of studying. that sound good to me!

For anyone else that will read this tread I went to the BPSO and had my questions answered.

Yes the NCM SEP program is still going on and I have to apply by Apr 1013 to get accepted by Sept 2012

I spoke to a buddy who I did basic with who is a stoker with 3 years in and he said most of the first couple of years is studying and drawing.

Right now more people in this trade are being sent to Halifax but that can change anytime

triplesevenscc said:
For anyone else that will read this tread I went to the BPSO and had my questions answered.

Yes the NCM SEP program is still going on and I have to apply by Apr 1013 to get accepted by Sept 2012

I spoke to a buddy who I did basic with who is a stoker with 3 years in and he said most of the first couple of years is studying and drawing.

Right now more people in this trade are being sent to Halifax but that can change anytime

I beg to differ, though there are more ships on the east coast, all of the QL3 stokers that have gone through CFFS Esquimalt in 2012 have been about 50/50. With only one guy getting the coast he did not request.

I am not up on the specific numbers but I would say Sailor1 is correct...for now. As mentioned in many posts, you go where needed and right now there is more of a 'need' for Mar Eng in Esquimalt. Though this could change, this has been a general rule of thumb for quite some time for some reason unknown to me. There is a certain individual from CFFS(E) who 'cruises' this site and would know the answer to this question???

Typically how many MarEngs are on a ship and during a shift. I know it will depend on the size of the ship

Hi, I was wondering; are marine engineers appointed a path towards a sub-trade or are they earned as part of their career progression? Example: can a marine engineer mechanic become a marine engineer technician, or will they remain stagnant until their leadership course?

Back