• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Macleans: "Who are the Trump-loving Canadians?"

mariomike

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score
Macleans

June 4, 2020

Who are the Trump-loving Canadians?

Thirty per cent of Conservative supporters would prefer Trump to Trudeau as a leader. That's a problem for a party needing to widen its base.

https://www.macleans.ca/politics/ottawa/who-are-the-trump-loving-canadians/

Is it really trump loving, if we simply think he is less of an <deleted to comply with site policy> then Trudeau?

Trudeau has done things, that have changed my freedoms in a significant material way.. what is wrong with not wanting him? If it is a choice between those two, and only those two, I would vote for trump. Even though I think he is an ... as well.

Abdullah

- Staff edit you comply with site policy

So Conservatives would prefer a Conservative over a Liberal? That dosen't seem so surprising.

Then again, I don't know if Trump is really a Conservative, considering the number of times he switched parties.

One of the worries among conservatives (other than Trump's character weaknesses) while the primary was still unfolding in 2016 was that Trump was thought to be more of a Democrat than Republican.

AbdullahD said:
Is it really trump loving, if we simply think he is less of an <edit to comply with site policy> then Trudeau?

Trudeau has done things, that have changed my freedoms in a significant material way.. what is wrong with not wanting him? If it is a choice between those two, and only those two, I would vote for trump. Even though I think he is an ... as well.

Abdullah

I think that you deserved the milpoints I threw your way but I think the jury is still out.

Personally, I'd spoil my ballot.

;D

- Staff edit of quote to comply with site policy

FJAG said:
I think that you deserved the milpoints I threw your way but I think the jury is still out.

Personally, I'd spoil my ballot.

;D

The jury is definitely still out, Trump just leads right now.. I do not put it past him to screw that up at all though.

But one thing that could be a boon to us up here, we are nobodies. Trump is an <edit to comply with site policy> in my opinion, but he is not a fool. I don't like the guy at all, he is in control of the worlds strongest Nation and he can get away with these antics. Up here, he would be an underdog on the world stage, which, I would hope.. would temper him quite significantly. He would have no threats or well reduced amount of threats he could make etc, he *could* be a better leader for us then the USA. Whereas Trudeau is just an <edit to comply with site policy> in either country. A threat of sanctions, military action etc from the USA on the world stage.. scares a lot of people.. if Canadians made those same threats.. lol.

I hope my point comes across.. both choices a bad.. in an embarrassing way. But as of right now, I'd support trump (having said that I voted for Mulcair when it Mulcair vs Trudeau vs Harper.. because I felt he was the best man for the job.. but CPC the last election because Trudeau had shown his failings).

Abdullah

- Staff edit to comply with site policy

I think I am part of an ever growing group of people who are finding it harder and harder to align with a political party.  The center seems to have been abandoned.

I would venture to guess that few of them work(ed?) in our aluminum or steel industries...

Halifax Tar said:
I think I am part of an ever growing group of people who are finding it harder and harder to align with a political party.  The center seems to have been abandoned.

I agree but we should never give up.

74ff2a43-df62-4a6b-a785-a2350226ccf1.jpeg

I just wish I had the energy that I used to.

:coffee:

I think of "the centre" as the most fiscally responsible party, and that's where I tend to put my vote.  The discussions over how to divide the pie are less important than ensuring there will always be an ample pie to divide.

Brad Sallows said:
I think of "the centre" as the most fiscally responsible party, and that's where I tend to put my vote. 

I was born during the Eisenhower era.

I'm in almost total agreement with General / President Eisenhower in anything I have ever read about him.

“Extremes to the right and to the left of any political dispute are always wrong.”
― Dwight D. Eisenhower

I prefer municipal politics because it's non-partisan. "There's no Liberal or Conservative way to fix a sewer."  :)

mariomike said:
I prefer municipal politics because it's non-partisan. "There's no Liberal or Conservative way to fix a sewer."  :)

Unless the sewer is on  Treaty Land?

Our city declared a climate emergency.  Not even sure what that means or how they address that.  Also we have debates on bike lanes a lot, generally from the left wing councillors.  While we have a no party system you can see what side of the spectrum some of the members of council are on.

mariomike said:

What? Go check out Hamilton.

The inner city Councillors are all NDP supporters, the ones representing middle class neighbourhoods and some of the upper class ones are Liberal supporters, and the rural and majority upper class neighbourhood ones are conservative supporters.

(I'm speaking purely of economic status when I say 'class')

Sorry guys, I am an opionated fool and will try to maintain myself at a level that is demanded here. Sorry again, I was simply just posting how I talk in real life, with no thought. Sorry.

I actually do greatly appreciate Trump.

Not because I agree with him on particular matters, but because he has proven himself to be something of a necessary evil. I watched a decade ago as my father went through a particularly harsh and lengthy treatment for cancer (which had very briefly reached stage 3B), and found that to be a particularly apt description for what Trump has done (and is doing) to the political climate in the United States. Especially because the particular type of cancer my father was dealing with involved the... shall we say, "lower abdomen." Trump as the political equivalent of chemotherapy (or better, radiation therapy) is a rather effective analogy.

Civilization stands only because of the widespread mutual acceptance of particular rules and expectations on the behaviour of others. The fact that Trump has demonstrated that he cannot be trusted is more valuable in the long term than the idea that the President has to be trusted with the best interests of the nation. I would rather a sociopath in the highest political offices than a complete narcissist, and the bad news is Trump is not a sociopath. To know that one's head of state cannot be trusted is equally useful knowledge as knowing that one's head of state should not be trusted blindly.

So I can like Trump for the ripples he'll leave in the stream of history whilst still personally detesting the man. Unfortunately I think the fact that such things are possible are too easily overlooked.

Xylric said:
I would rather a sociopath in the highest political offices than a complete narcissist, and the bad news is Trump is not a sociopath.

That's a relief.

I always get sociopath and psychopath mixed up.
https://www.google.com/search?biw=1280&bih=641&sxsrf=ALeKk02c7IlALD_Uf0BgV1nQl1pbD48DVQ%3A1591385134163&ei=LpzaXvW_Cc3WtQbeuZfwBQ&q=trump+sociopath&oq=trump+sociopath&gs_lcp=CgZwc3ktYWIQDFAAWABg9vACaABwAHgAgAEAiAEAkgEAmAEAqgEHZ3dzLXdpeg&sclient=psy-ab&ved=0ahUKEwj1jv3Ms-vpAhVNa80KHd7cBV4Q4dUDCAs#spf=1591385184391

An article I read about vaccine development made me realize how common the following sentence construct has become:

[Orange Man Bad disclaimer], but [summary of something useful done by the Trump administration, or more rarely Trump himself].

Remius said:
While we have a no party system you can see what side of the spectrum some of the members of council are on.

As long as they voted for our pay raises, I didn't care what side of the spectrum they were on.  :)

mariomike said:
As long as they voted for our pay raises, I didn't care what side of the spectrum they were on.  :)

Probably the most comment sentiment in the world, that.  ;D

I am a Triumph lover. Here's mine.

Attachments

• 07 speedy.jpg
    07 speedy.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 99
Back