• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Lost Pearl Harbour photos just found stashed away in footlocker

midget-boyd91

Inactive
Reaction score
I know this could have been on here a month or two ago, but I only just found these (more accurately had them emailed to me) today.  I'm almost positive there isn't already a thread on this and I thought you all would like to see these.

http://www.snopes.com/photos/military/pearlharbor.asp

These images appear to be genuine photos of the Japanese attack on American military forces at Pearl Harbor in Hawaii on  7 December  1941...........all of them pictures taken by a sailor with a brownie camera that remained undiscovered in a footlocker for many decades.

The article is on Snopes for a reason, see the comments on the linked page.

These images appear to be genuine photographs of the Japanese attack on American military forces at Pearl Harbor in Hawaii on 7 December 1941, but not - as claimed in the accompanying text - all of them pictures taken by a sailor with a Brownie camera that remained undiscovered in a footlocker for many decades. 

For a "sailor" to have snapped pictures from all the perspectives shown above, he would had to have been in the harbor aboard his ship, on the ground at Hickam army airfield, and aloft in an airplane - all while the attack was in progress.  Moreover, the ship on which this wide-rangng sailor supposedly served, the first USS Quapaw, wasn't even built until well after the attack on Pearl Harbor.

Most (if not all) of these images are readily identifiable as archival photos that have been available since the early 1940s and have appeared in countless articles and books about the Pearl Harbor attack.

Back