• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Looking for info on my grandfather's regiment and division

goguengrandkid

Inactive
Reaction score
I am looking for info on my grandfather's regiment which is G50160  and his division was 16th light field ambulance, this is what we just got from archives Canada. We know he went to England, France, Italy, Netherlands and possibly Germany...the info on the records we receive is very vague, and I would love to find out exactly where he was if I can... We know he drove a jeep for some commanding officers at some point and he drove a big truck through some mountains somewhere in Italy at night, no lights.

Also do you know if when we receive the papers from the archives, and it says his regiment/division..and there is only one, does that mean he stayed with the same one, all throughout the war? He was there from the beginning, volunteered and came back when the war was over...Any help would be greatly appreciated, his name was Emery Goguen from Bouctouche, New Brunswick, and we miss him dearly.

https://army.ca/forums/threads/53494.0

16 Fd Amb didn't appear to be on the list of the units that went ashore on D-Day - if they were in Italy, that would make sense.

For your info, the G50 number is his Regimental number (his service number), 16 Fd Amb was his unit, not division.

These are mere starting points I know, but hope that helps some.

MM

The service number G50160 belonged to a series of numbers 50001 to 50181 assigned to Royal Canadian Army Medical Corps (RCAMC) reinforcements from Military District No. 7. M.D No. 7 was in new Brunswick.

When you get the complete records from LAC, they will detail what unit(s) he served with, when he moved between them, and where he served.

Your grandfather technically did not belong to any regiment. It appears that he belonged to the Royal Canadian Army Medical Corps and his unit would have been the 16th Light Field Ambulance which was part of the establishment of the 4th Canadian (Armoured) Division.

Here are two sources that might help you. The first is the establishment for the 4th as well as the areas that it saw service in Europe:

https://www.canadiansoldiers.com/organization/fieldforces/casf/4thdivision.htm (You'll note that the 16th serial is 988 and that it underwent several slight name changes.

The second is the official history of the RCAMC during the Second World War. You'll see a reference to the 16th Light Field Ambulance at page 83. Note also page 91 which talks about a reorganization of the medical services within 4th Div.
In each, out of the existing three light field ambulances and one light field
hygiene section, there had now to be formed one field ambulance, one light field
ambulance, one field dressing station, and one field hygiene section. But since the total
number of units was the same, the problem was resolved by the simple expedient of
conversion.
I note that the 16th isn't mentioned as part of the Div's establishment at the end of the war so I assume it formed the nucleus of the Field Dressing Station but of course your granddad may have been transfered to one of the other units depending on where his skills were needed.

http://www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/dhh-dhp/his/docs/CMS_vol1_e.pdf (Note that the pdf is a bit rough in formatting but you should be able to tweak it.

One thing. The 4th did not see service in Italy although it would have in England, France (after D-Day) and thereafter the Netherlands and Germany. He may perhaps have been detached to or been with another unit that saw service in Italy which would have been prior to D-Day.

Hope that get's you started.

:cheers:

You've already been given corrected information about "regiment" and "division" and what may have happened to the 16th Lt Fd Amd as a unit.  Since your grandfather served in 16 Light Fd Amb, it is probable he was in the Royal Canadian Army Medical Corps (RCAMC), however since he seems have been predominately driving vehicles during the war, he may have been in the Royal Canadian Army Service Corps (RCASC).  While field ambulances were medical units and the personnel were mostly from that corps, a good portion of the drivers on the unit establishment were Service Corps.

You'll likely get more information about your grandfather's wartime travels by going through his service record.  If you need assistance in translating it from militaryese, there are many on these means who can help.

Blackadder1916 said:
You've already been given corrected information about "regiment" and "division" and what may have happened to the 16th Lt Fd Amd as a unit.  Since your grandfather served in 16 Light Fd Amb, it is probable he was in the Royal Canadian Army Medical Corps (RCAMC), however since he seems have been predominately driving vehicles during the war, he may have been in the Royal Canadian Army Service Corps (RCASC).  While field ambulances were medical units and the personnel were mostly from that corps, a good portion of the drivers on the unit establishment were Service Corps.

You'll likely get more information about your grandfather's wartime travels by going through his service record.  If you need assistance in translating it from militaryese, there are many on these means who can help.

That's a good point, Blackadder. Drivers in Fd Ambulances at the time would have been RCASC while the medics would come from the RCAMC.

Goguengrandkid. Do you have any other information which might help us out here? photos, badges, documents?

Just wanted to thank everyone for the info, it means alot to me. I lost my grandfather when I was 10 and never got to ask him these questions. I'm just trying to fill in the gaps from the info my mother gave me...my mother did receive the documents and will be sending them to me on Monday, should take just a few days. So from what I gather it sounds like he hopped around to wherever they needed a driver? What would a light ambulance driver have done, pick up wounded soldiers? would he have been under fire at times or mainly behind the front?

FJAG said:
That's a good point, Blackadder. Drivers in Fd Ambulances at the time would have been RCASC while the medics would come from the RCAMC.

Goguengrandkid. Do you have any other information which might help us out here? photos, badges, documents?

I will look for some photos of him with his uniform..We have two albums full of photos that he took while in Italy and I believe the Netherlands, we still have some book ends that he bought in the Netherlands and I have a letter that he wrote to his sister while he was in Italy, near xmas...

Back