• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

locating military service record?

tynanfromBC

Inactive
Reaction score
i'm looking for both of my grandfathers military records. Who would i need to contact(here in canada) to have the files faxed, e-mailed, mailed, or in some way sent to me? A friend of my grandfather wrote him shortly before my grandfathers death in 2002 saying that his daughter had gotten her hands on his records. It included the dates of promotions, where he was deployed, infractions, everything really.. Anyways, if you are able to help me out, i'd greatly appreciate it. thanks

Tynan
tmg123@hotmail.com

Try contacting the National Archives in Ottawa. I'm sure they'd be able to help you out.

http://www.collectionscanada.ca/

Tynan

Do not know how successful you have been but here is some information that may aid you in your search

"About the Records:

Military personnel files include documentation about enlistment, discharge, military units served with, and may also include other documents concerning medical history, medals awarded, personal evaluation reports and dental charts. There is no online database for these records.

Requests for Information
We try to answer inquiries within 30 days; however, our Personnel Records Unit receives over 2,000 inquiries a month, which can affect response time. Priority service is given to people who require documentation to prove that they qualify for pensions, allowances, claims and other benefits.

For projects involving research in a large number of files, the request will be assessed by our staff to determine if current resources can accommodate such an extensive commitment.

How to Send an Inquiry Concerning Your Own or Another Individual's Records
Your request must be signed.

To identify a file, we require surname, full given name(s), date of birth, and service number or social insurance number.
If you do not know the date of birth, service number or S.I.N. (social insurance number), secondary information (e.g., the names of next of kin, postings, dates of service, place of enlistment) can assist in identifying the correct individual.

Consult the section below on Access Restrictions.
Please specify what document(s) you require. If you are doing family history research, we recommend that you request a â Å“genealogy package,â ? which will include copies of selected documents from the file that highlight/summarize the individual's service.

We do not accept e-mail inquiries for these records.

Inquiries should be sent by mail or fax to:

Personnel Records Unit
Library and Archives Canada
395 Wellington Street
Ottawa, ON
K1A 0N3
Fax: (613) 947-8456 "

The more information you can supply the quicker the search goes. I was able to get my fathers information from Ottawa. Also proof of relationship (ie Servicemans childs birth cetificate (your Mother or Fathers) will also help. I am also in BC if you want to contact me.

Back