• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Living in US, wanting to join

S

sonicblue

Hey, how's everyone doing! OK, I have been living in the US since '99 because my family moved here, plus I am attending university here. I plan to graduate with a bachelor's of science in psychology within the next year and half. I have wanted to join the CF for quite a while but never really took any real action doing so, so I decided it's either now or never. My question is, having lived outside Canada for a while (we were also overseas prior to moving to the US), how would I go about the recruitment process? From my understanding it's also quite competitive (is it really?) so how would I stand against other applicants due to my situation? Now I have read that a minimum of five years' residency is required in Canada, but is there a way around that? I don't know if this helps, but I am trilingual and a minority...would that boost my chances? I would greatly appreciate it if someone who has had experience with this kind of thing could tell me how to get the process started in my circumstance and who best to contact. Thanks! I CANNOT wait to get back home!   :cdn:

If I am reading your post correctly and you are a Canadian citizen than you should not be automatically ruled out because you have been living outside Canada. Contact a Canadian Forces Recruiting Centre for more information. You may be able to contact them through links on the Canadian Forces web page.

Best Wishes

Your biggest issue will be the security clearance. Best bet is to contact A CFRC.

Well if being a minority is an advantage than they are sure wasting everybody's time with the apptitude test, fitness test, medical test and interview.

As a Recruiter, I can guarantee to you that being a minority will have no impact on employment.   The CF and the Govt in general, has a Zero Tolerance policy on discrimination.   Being as you have lived outside of Canada you will have to do the "Long Form", for the security.   This shouldn't be a problem, so long as the form is completed properly (as with all Govt paperwork).   As long as you have not renounced you citizenship, and meet the minimal requirements (Canadian Citizen, 17 or older (16 for Reserve)with parents consent, min of Gr 10 or Equiv and free of outstanding "Legal" obligations), there should be restrictions on you.   Check the DND site (www.forces.gc.ca) for more info.   There is the 1 800 number for recruiting, and it should be able to direct you further.

Good Luck :cdn:

Back