• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

LAV 6.0

Rheinmetall has developed a Boxer-based bridge layer. If we're going to stick with the LAV as our primary combat vehicle then something similar on the LAV 6.0 chassis would likely make sense.

But wouldn't this one be more 'Canadian', and therefore easier to push the spending plan through the current government?

Biber/ Bieber: it's all about Justin time ;)

1656960379691.png

I don’t think a LAV will be able to do much for Bridge Laying - at least compared to a Leo2 chassis. If you have Leo’s you want to use it as the AVLB chassis, as it will be able to carry a more significant bridge that would also be able to support it.

I was watching a Task and Purpose video on the BTR series.

The argument was over is it a poor vehicle ot just a vehicle being used poorly.

One side argued that the vehicle was fine as long as it's 7 dismounts were outside eliminating NLAW teams.

How many NLAW teams in range of the mother vehicle can 7 troops manage? Are they one section or three patrols? What range can they clear?

My money is on the defence.

View attachment 70357You probably don’t need a fitter when you have an ARV that can do the job.
Don't know how I didn't respond to this when you posted it.

Each battery definitely did have an M578 each plus two 5/4 MRTs (one for wheeled; one for tracked - these basically held the personnel, tools and some parts - actual recovery - if needed - was made by the M578), a 5/4 ton weapons tech, and a 5/4 Rad tech all over and above the 2 1/2 ton fitter/parts bin. It was a pretty healthy detachment..

🍻

I am aware of two requests from the TF in Kandahar which were denied for the purpose an equipment lifecycle management objective. The AVLB request was denied because sending those to Afghanistan would undermine the argument for their not being replaced, and LAV TUA was not sent because it might undermine continued progress of the tank replacement.

The AVLB justification may be just rumour. I know it was requested and denied, but I was never part of the conversations as to why. I was in the room at a DLEPS Ops brief when instruction was given not to support any efforts to deploy LAV TUA because it could do jobs that CF said only a tank could do, and an in-service vehicle doing those jobs in Kandahar might have taken wheels of the tank replacement cart.
I have mixed feelings on this…

On the one hand, not sending the AVLB just to save some minor face seems mind-boggling. If the TF Commander requests a certain type of vehicle or capability that is in the inventory, give it to them. Period.

On the other hand, I totally understand politicking to buy tanks… can they technically perform the same task as a tank? Somewhat.

But as we all know, they are nowhere near as survivable… we would have lost a lot more people, and ended up with a much less capable vehicle if we had sent the LAV TUA

So do we praise the folks responsible for these decisions, because one of those decisions allowed us to buy proper tanks?

Or do we keep scorn upon them for risking our safety due to politicking?

Or they could have supplied you with Milans or Javelins at the Coy/Pl level a decade or so prior...

And you could have been blowing up grape huts before the tanks got there.

I've been tracking the German's problem of getting its Gepards to Ukraine.

First it needed a Swiss release for the Oerlikon cannons then it needed a separate release for the ammunition
Brazil offered to supply ammunition but NAMMO of Norway also provides 35mm ammunition that works with Bushmaster and Oerlikon cannons.
It apparently is the supplier of choice for the CV9035 IFVs.

So when I was looking at the SAAB info on its GLSDB and came across this offering I was intrigued.

It seems to me that a 35mm upgun programme for the LAV 6.0 would put to rest a lot of my concerns about the platform (especially if a Javelin package was added). Maybe start with adding a Troop per Squadron (Platoon per Company).

This is Canada. If you propose for government to start with a half measure, then it will never get beyond that.

In a Canadian mess somewhere..... Sergeants Marvin and Eeyore look on the future. :LOL:

1657766584345.png

Perhaps one of these? Salvage tank.
It comes with a crew trained and ready. Yah they are a little sketchy but will recover the stuff that is destroyed or whatever then sell it back to you.

If you want it cleaned it will cost extra....

I wanted to post a Jawa picture but...

It comes with a crew trained and ready. Yah they are a little sketchy but will recover the stuff that is destroyed or whatever then sell it back to you.

Here ya' go.

poster.jpg

🍻

When I was transfered to C Coy 2VP Ops from the PRT HQ the 2IC came into Ops my first night shift. Him and I didn't get along previous (didn't like the PRC TOC telling the Coy what to do, and I was usually the messenger). He asked me "Star Wars or Star Trek". My answer was "Star Wars". We were good from then on.

When I was transfered to C Coy 2VP Ops from the PRT HQ the 2IC came into Ops my first night shift. Him and I didn't get along previous (didn't like the PRC TOC telling the Coy what to do, and I was usually the messenger). He asked me "Star Wars or Star Trek". My answer was "Star Wars". We were good from then on.
Should have said "Babylon 5."

Should have said "Babylon 5."
Honestly Star Wars hasn't evolved and has become stale. But the new universes for Star Trek have me interested again. Strange New Worlds' new take on some of the original series stuff is very interesting. Their new "Balance of Terror" episode with Pike in command was amazing.

Need some cloaking tech on the LAV's...

The vast majority of force planning scenarios where we have air superiority the ratios should hold.
With whose airforce and air defense regiments will air superiority be attained and maintained?

With whose airforce and air defense regiments will air superiority be attained and maintained?
Canada doesn't fight alone. Has never fought alone. Right now its going to be NATO or US in the most probable scenario.

Question, is there not a built and trialed prototype tracked LAV6 / Stryker? Built by GDLS Canada it would be top of the list for TLAV would it not?

TLAV is being replaced by ACSV. A wheeled LAV 6+ with a hull tall enough to stand inside. It will probably be a great CP, but we may regret having the A1 echelon ambulance as the tallest vehicle in the combat team.

Back