• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

JCSP Paper - Overview of Precision Strike Capability for CP-140M and CC-130J

dimsum

Army.ca Myth
Mentor
Reaction score
Not sure if this is just DWAN, but one of the JCSP papers is out on the Air Force site. 

The aim of this article is to provide an overview of possible options for the addition of a precision
strike capability to either the Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF) CP140 Aurora or CC130J
Hercules airframe. This article discusses the operating environment that such a strike capability
could be employed in, the capabilities that should be considered for a project, the potential of the
CP140 and/or CC130J as growth platforms, the new roles and missions these platforms could perform
and the possible barriers that could disrupt the implementation of such a capability. Future
areas of investigation should include studying the technical feasibility and engineering impact of
installing a precision guided munition (PGM) capability on these aircraft.

http://w08-ttn-vmweb01/CFAWC/en/elibrary/journal/2017-vol6/iss1-winter/contents/05-overview-of-precision-strike-capability-for-cp140-and-cc130j.pdf

There's already a precision strike capability for the CC-130J: 3 RCR, 3 PPCLI, and 3 R22eR.  >:D

dapaterson said:
There's already a precision strike capability for the CC-130J: 3 RCR, 3 PPCLI, and 3 R22eR.  >:D

Well played, good sir.

dapaterson said:

As long as the navs can get them onto the DZ... ;D

MM

Like the Chalk River garbage dump?

Or maybe the Deep River garbage dump.

It was a while ago, when I was a very active Friday at the Mess participant. Memories are a bit hazy.

medicineman said:
As long as the navs can get them onto the DZ... ;D

MM

Isn't a Nav just the person who can figure out how to operate the GPS?

Loachman said:
Like the Chalk River garbage dump?

Or maybe the Deep River garbage dump.

It was a while ago, when I was a very active Friday at the Mess participant. Memories are a bit hazy.

Words to that effect...

MM

dapaterson said:

Well I have seen some Warrants that could qualify as a 250 lbs dumb bomb >:D

dapaterson said:
Isn't a Nav just the person who can figure out how to operate the GPS?

Yes - part of why it's called ACSO now.  :nod:

My take away from the paper is that we have actively reduced the capability of the CP140 by not including the hardpoints or wiring in the new wings being installed.  My understanding is that these items were previously on the aircraft as part of a baseline P3 package, so in effect we are deliberately reducing our flexibility.
Assuming my understanding is correct, I find it sad that we are not procuring munitions that would allow us to maximise our limited airframes in support of naval and land forces across the spectrum.  In terms of the CP-140, not having the ability to fire any of the latest standoff land attack or naval strike missiles and/or drop the latest PGM bombs seems utterly ridiculous. 

Didn't we pay to remove the laser designator from the EO turret?

Dimsum said:
Yes - part of why it's called ACSO now.  :nod:

...and why they were eliminated from the CC-130J crew complement. :nod:

Regards
G2G

Hamish Seggie said:
I can hear the howls of outrage from the left.........

Clarification here - the CAF won't see this ever. Too many lace panty folk in DND and government.

Someone might get hurt by our nasty soldiers, sailors and air people. We can't have that now can we?

Good2Golf said:
...and why they were eliminated from the CC-130J crew complement. :nod:

Regards
G2G

No longer needed on most aircraft.

Because they're too busy commanding the RCAF.

dapaterson said:
No longer needed on most aircraft.

Because they're tootwo of them left are busy commanding the RCAF and RMC.
  ;D

There you go, DAP.

Regards
G2G

Assuming my understanding is correct, I find it sad that we are not procuring munitions that would allow us to maximise our limited airframes in support of naval and land forces across the spectrum.  In terms of the CP-140, not having the ability to fire any of the latest standoff land attack or naval strike missiles and/or drop the latest PGM bombs seems utterly ridiculous.

Too warlike. Hurts our image as peacekeepers. Possibly butterfly pods could be mounted.

Someone should whisper in the ear of JT that the P8 could precision strike oil slicks with containment booms on hardpoints and as internal stores, not mention drop and monitor Data logging buoys to track drift.

French navy has given Breguet Atlantiqe a land precision-strike capability with GBU12, used against ISIS--a tweet:
https://twitter.com/EtatMajorFR/status/794900654976286720

État-Major Armées‏Verified account @EtatMajorFR

Polyvalence de l’Atlantique 2 : missions de frappes et de renseignement dans l’opération #Chammal
5 Nov 2016
CwgNvO2WQAAKOZq.jpg

More at official site:

Armement

2 missiles AM 39 ou 8 torpilles Mk 46 ou MU 90
    Grenades anti-sous-marines
    Bouées acoustiques (3 tonnes au total)
    Charge militaire en soute : 3 600 kg (torpille, missiles anti-navires)
    GBU-12 bombes à guidage laser
http://www.defense.gouv.fr/marine/equipements/aeronefs/atlantique-2-atl-2

Mark
Ottawa

Back